ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Slightly above absence threshold - additional evidence ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eastv
Newly Registered
Germany

Slightly above absence threshold - additional evidence ?

Post by Eastv » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:14 am

Hello!
Asking for a friend who’s applying on the 5-year route for naturalisation:

In terms of absences:
Absences in last 12M: 95d
Absences in last 5Y: c. 350d

While total days absence in last 5Y is OK, I understand that the threshold for absences in final year is 90, and that given it’s between 90-100, the caseworker would apply discretion.

If so, Is there anything else that should be highlighted in the application?
We can evidence that he has always had a flat here and full employment history (P60s).

Anything you would suggest adding?
Would you suggest to add a cover letter in this case and explain? Or would a caseworker know what to look for in the uploaded docs ?

Thank you!!!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Slightly above absence threshold - additional evidence ?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:21 am

I recommend a short cover note explaining why the final year absences are a bit over the normal limit.
It shouldn't be an issue as long as all other requirements are met. No need to provide extra proof of residency - for a few days.
I would expect caseworkers to apply their discretion for a few excess days automatically but it's good to be pro-active, in my view.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:36 am

Eastv wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:14 am
Hello!
Asking for a friend who’s applying on the 5-year route for naturalisation:

In terms of absences:
Absences in last 12M: 95d
Absences in last 5Y: c. 350d

While total days absence in last 5Y is OK, I understand that the threshold for absences in final year is 90, and that given it’s between 90-100, the caseworker would apply discretion.

If so, Is there anything else that should be highlighted in the application?
We can evidence that he has always had a flat here and full employment history (P60s).

Anything you would suggest adding?
Would you suggest to add a cover letter in this case and explain? Or would a caseworker know what to look for in the uploaded docs ?

Thank you!!!

No need to add anything; just comment that you know you are over the threshold, but that according to guidance absences under 100 days in the last year are disregarded. You do need to make sure your friend meets all other requirements as one can only ask for discretion on one requirement.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Eastv
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Eastv » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:40 pm

Thank you!

Sorry for this naive question -
But if up to100 days of absences are normally disregarded, why is the limit then just simply 100 and not 90?

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:12 pm

Eastv wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:40 pm
Thank you!

Sorry for this naive question -
But if up to100 days of absences are normally disregarded, why is the limit then just simply 100 and not 90?

Thank you
90 days is laid down in law, the British Nationality Act, and case workers are bound by it.
Of course real life doesn't work like that and UKVI give applicants a little bit of slack, instead of just refusing point blank at 90. So 90 days is the law and it's best to stick with that number to avoid questions being raised.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.