ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discretionary eligibility for grandchild

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Clarity
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Discretionary eligibility for grandchild

Post by Clarity » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:26 am

Can someone advise more about discretionary eligibility for my grandchild to be registered as a BR citizen.

My status as her grandmother is:
Automatically a BR citizen by descent as I was born overseas.
Daughter is registered as BR citizen 3.1
My husband is naturalised after my daughter’s birth.
My father and grandparents were all U.K. born otherwise by descent (granddaughters great grandparents and before)
Grandchild is 5 and born overseas.

Question:
What is triple descent. I know this is used in rare cases but it is possible, given my grandchild’s and my ancestry.

I read that using discretion will also take into account that my daughter, living in Singapore after 30 years residency in the U.K.,is working in Singapore for a U.K. domiciled Bank and is the reason that she relocated to Singapore because she was offered a senior role in Singapore. She still works for the U.K. bank and is a member of the British Chamber of Commerce in Singapore.

My previous threads did not explore this triple descent issue and also discretionary claim to registration. I have read up on discretionary claims and there are no specific exclusions. So how do I word the above in for MN1?

Also can the triple descent be used by my grandchild if she is registered under 3.2? The 3.2 guidance states that one parent must be by descent as in this case. Her mum is by descent.
However, the other criteria is that the grandparent, as in my case, must be ‘otherwise by descent which I am not. Can the triple descent be otherwise used?

Any advice is appreciated.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Discretionary eligibility for grandchild

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:47 am

Your daughter was registered under 3.1 (I assume before granddaughter was born) so your grandchild, it appears to me, is already British by descent. Can go ahead and apply for.her passport (it may take long to process the application from abroad). Your daughter will need to send full birth certificate and her UK registration certificate.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Discretionary eligibility for grandchild

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:03 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:47 am
Your daughter was registered under 3.1 (I assume before granddaughter was born) so your grandchild, it appears to me, is already British by descent. Can go ahead and apply for.her passport (it may take long to process the application from abroad). Your daughter will need to send full birth certificate and her UK registration certificate.
@contored_svy read the lengthy topic below on this for details.

viewtopic.php?p=2022437#p2022437
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.