ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant visa expiring - will it automatically change to tourist visa?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Dependant visa expiring - will it automatically change to tourist visa?

Post by Geerdee » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:17 pm

Hello everyone, I'm coming here with a question. My wife is on skilled worker visa valid until 14.07.2024. I'm on dependant visa, which is valid until the same day. I'm also a citizen of EU country, and I can stay in UK as a tourist for 6 months. I just came back from holidays, and scanned my passport at the airport. When my dependant visa expire will I need to leave the country, even for one day to come back as a tourist or will it be automatically converted to tourist visa and I'll not need to do anything?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Dependant visa expiring - will it automatically change to tourist visa?

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:29 pm

will it be automatically converted to tourist visa and I'll not need to do anything?
Nothing is 'automatic'. If you have been in the UK on a dependent visa and then leave for a short period and try to return as a visitor to continue staying in the UK, you risk being stopped and questioned as the system will flag your dependent visa expired very recently.

Will your wife be extending her visa?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Geerdee » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:41 pm

My wife is not going to extend her visa. I also asked a question about her problem in the skilled worker visa section of the board.

As for me, does that mean that for some time I can't come to UK as a tourist because my dependant visa expired?

We planned that my wife will leave UK on 14.07, I'll also leave for like a week, then I'll come back and clear all our stuff (ending tenancy, sending furniture abroad etc). Looks like it's not going to happen...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:13 pm

My wife is not going to extend her visa. I also asked a question about her problem in the skilled worker visa section of the board.
I answered that already.
As for me, does that mean that for some time I can't come to UK as a tourist because my dependant visa expired?
I did not say you cannot. Just be prepared to potentially be asked questions.
We planned that my wife will leave UK on 14.07, I'll also leave for like a week, then I'll come back and clear all our stuff (ending tenancy, sending furniture abroad etc). Looks like it's not going to happen...
Make sure you if you do get asked questions (and this is an IF), that you have your story straight of the purpose you are returning so quickly after your dependent visa expired.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Geerdee » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:41 pm

Thank you for answering both of my questions.

We might be coming back to UK to work in the future, so being questioned and possibly having some note in the system is not the best idea. Also, knowing my luck I'll be not let in the country haha.

Anyway, once again thank you for help, looks like we'll have three very busy weeks.