ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being married to Indian, can I visit India on tourist visa?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Being married to Indian, can I visit India on tourist visa?

Post by Geerdee » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Hello, just as the topic says. My wife is Indian, I still didn't get my OCI. Later this year we're planning to visit her parents for a week. Do I need to apply for Entry X-1 visa (long process and expensive) or can I apply for tourist visa (fast and cheap)?

sathyauk
India

Re: Being married to Indian, can I visit India on tourist visa?

Post by sathyauk » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:22 pm

Geerdee wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:50 pm
Hello, just as the topic says. My wife is Indian, I still didn't get my OCI. Later this year we're planning to visit her parents for a week. Do I need to apply for Entry X-1 visa (long process and expensive) or can I apply for tourist visa (fast and cheap)?
Apply for one year tourist visa which is cheaper and quicker to get

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Geerdee » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:45 pm

Are you sure? I've read somewhere (can't find that post anywhere now...) that they can stop me at the immigration and even ban from entering India if I come with wrong visa (and apparently spouse - Entry visa, tourist - tourist visa, spouse who is a tourist - Entry visa). I have no idea how true is what I've read, that's why looking for an answer here (also because Indian embassy, if I ask them, will just copy-paste me the visa explanation pages)

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:02 pm

Geerdee wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:45 pm
Are you sure? I've read somewhere (can't find that post anywhere now...) that they can stop me at the immigration and even ban from entering India if I come with wrong visa (and apparently spouse - Entry visa, tourist - tourist visa, spouse who is a tourist - Entry visa). I have no idea how true is what I've read, that's why looking for an answer here (also because Indian embassy, if I ask them, will just copy-paste me the visa explanation pages)
If you purpose is visiting friends or relatives tourist visa is good. I am confused with the post, they can't stop/ban if you travel with proper tourist visa. When you apply visa it will ask for the purpose of visit you can mention "friends/relatives". Many of them are travelling to India using tourist visa.
**Still you have doubt walk in to VF(after 2:30 PM)S and ask the same question they will explain you**

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Geerdee » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:38 am

This is quote from an Indian embassy website:

"An entry visa is given for specific purposes to foreign nationals for any purpose not covered specifically under any of the other visa categories and to foreign nationals of Indian origin, his/her spouse and dependent children visiting India."

And that's what is confusing me. I also have an entry visa sticker in my passport already (from before, when I was living in India for more than 3 months).

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:58 pm

Geerdee wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:38 am
This is quote from an Indian embassy website:

"An entry visa is given for specific purposes to foreign nationals for any purpose not covered specifically under any of the other visa categories and to foreign nationals of Indian origin, his/her spouse and dependent children visiting India."

And that's what is confusing me. I also have an entry visa sticker in my passport already (from before, when I was living in India for more than 3 months).
There is no confusion, Its very clear. "A Tourist visa is granted to a foreigner whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sight seeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, attending a short term yoga programme, short duration medical treatment including treatment under Indian systems of medicine etc. and no other purpose/ activity. [Short term yoga programme means a yoga programme not exceeding 6 months duration and not issued with a qualifying certificate/ diploma etc.] "

Is your sticker still valid?

https://www.mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/AnnexIII_01022018.pdf - Refer Tourist visa section

Geerdee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Geerdee » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:10 am

No, it's already expired for at least few months.

By the way, thank you for all your answers, it's the first time I'm going to visit India just to see my relatives and I don't want to make any mistake. Probably, because of that, I'm looking too much into it and worrying more than I should.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:10 pm

Geerdee wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:10 am
No, it's already expired for at least few months.

By the way, thank you for all your answers, it's the first time I'm going to visit India just to see my relatives and I don't want to make any mistake. Probably, because of that, I'm looking too much into it and worrying more than I should.
You don't need worry to much. Apply for tourist visa and enjoy your trip