ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Path to Surrender of Indian Passport to get OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arkadsk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Path to Surrender of Indian Passport to get OCI

Post by arkadsk » Sat May 25, 2024 6:40 pm

Does anyone who if I need to surrender and submit my old cancelled passport as well along with the current one? Thanks

Alcatraz
Newly Registered
India

Post by Alcatraz » Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 pm

Hello ,

do you know whether address proof is required or not ? If required, what's being accepted as address proof ? Bank statements / HMRC NI letters etc?

Thanks
positiveme wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:03 pm

Hi all

Could I please use your expertise to check if I got this right, to do the whole process correctly and rightly, please?

I am now working on surrendering Indian passport, renounce the Indian citizenship and then go for OCI. After reading various posts here, I have found the below process/steps to follow. If you could please update/correct or edit these from your knowledge, and experience, this will help me and anyone who needs it in future, from one single post than many to go through.

Step 1: Surrender of Indian Passport

1. Register online here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Complete and Submit the application
3. Printout the completed form
4. Visit Application Processing Centre - appointment with VFS with the below documents (documents must be in the order as given here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... CKLIST.pdf):
  • Appointment Letter confirmation
  • 2 x Photos 2x2 inch
  • Online Application form (Applicant should sign in the box provided under the photograph on the front page and at the end of the application.
  • Indian Passport Original - Will be Retained and it will be cancelled and delivered along with the passport surrender certificate. Pay for secure delivery at the VFS counter or give Royal Mail return envelope?
  • Indian Passport photocopy – Photo page, address page and all the used pages and must be self-attested (only current passport)
  • Naturalisation Certificate Original - Checked and returned at the VFS counter
  • Naturalisation Certificate photocopy - self-attested
  • British Passport Original - Checked and returned at the VFS counter
  • British Passport photocopy – Main page only self-attested
    OR A declaration from the applicant stating “My UK passport is under process” [If the applicant’s British (or foreign) passport is under process].
  • VFS Declaration form
  • UK address proof (do they need it? Has anyone been asked for this? unsure step?
  • Online payment receipt if paid online. Never seen anyone being asked? Anyone can confirm please??
Step 2: Renunciation of Indian Citizenship

1. Complete the online form here - https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Upload required documents - India Passport, address proof (have I missed anything?)
3. Pay the required fee
4. Book an appointment with nearby India Mission to sign the declaration form / sign the form for witnessing
5. Then book an appointment with VFS to submit the form for processing Renunciation Certificate.

Note - Step 1 and Step 2 - Online forms can be done together but Step 1 certificate must be attained before going to Step 2 appointment.

Step 3: OCI

1. Follow OCI steps (I will update once I have collected them all), after getting certificate from Step 2.
2. If needs to travel to India before getting OCI, one can get eVisa by using certificate from Step 1.

Many Thanks in advance and for all the info that is already provided on this wonderful forum.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Mon May 27, 2024 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to fill the surrender certificate form online (https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/On ... pplyScForm) for my daughter and struck on error message 'Please enter Spouse Name' in Family Details section even after entering mother and father details correctly. I couldn't proceed further due to this, tried in different browsers and incognito modes as well but no luck. Did anyone face this error recently please?

Thanks.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Tue May 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Below form issue is fixed now with a fresh application. If anyone else face same issue, please ignore the problematic one and create a fresh application.

@positiveme/@sathyauk: Sorry my previous questions are hijacked :) . Could you please help to clarify the below?

- Is RC mandatory for e-visa or I can do that process once I am back from India in Sep?
- If RC mandatory for e-visa, Can I do both SC and RC appointments together (for both my wife and daughter)?
- Is SC certificate required to be in hand for applying e-visa or I can apply with SC appointment receipt?
- Learned from VFS that I can attend SC appointments on behalf of them. Is it same for RC or does my wife needs to attend that in person (both HCI and VFS documents drop)?

Thank you.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Tue May 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Hi Vinodhk,

Is RC mandatory for e-visa - NO

I can do that process once I am back from India in Sep? Yes or you can apply before going to India

Can I do both SC and RC appointments together (for both my wife and daughter)? Yes you can but slightly hard
- Is SC certificate required to be in hand for applying e-visa or I can apply with SC appointment receipt? - Not needed. For Evisa they don't check your Indian passport details
- Learned from VFS that I can attend SC appointments on behalf of them. - Yes you can
Is it same for RC - NO because you need to sign in front of CGI Consular
or does my wife needs to attend that in person (both HCI and VFS documents drop)? Anyone can attend

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Thu May 30, 2024 11:08 pm

Many thanks @sathyauk. If I understood the last question's response correctly, for RC appointment in HCI (Aldwych, London) the applicant has to come in person but VFS (Goswell Rd, London) RC documents drop on same day anyone can do. Could you please confirm on this?
If I have to come back for another day for documents drop in VFS, how do I book separate appointment and how much it costs please? Any time limits for documents drop once signed please?
Just checking on this (haven't decided yet), will it be an issue if I apply for OCI before going out to India in Jul, but travelling out in e-visa this time and collect OCI once back in Sep?
Thanks.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:09 pm

Hello All,
Hope you are doing well. Sorry an urgent question for Surrender passport appointment scheduled for Wednesday 5th June. I have taken indian passport/visa photographs from Asda photo booth today but realised after its 50mm*50mm instead of 51mm*51mm (equivalent of 2inch by 2inch as per guidelines). Will these be fine (for SC,RC and OCI) or I need to take with exact from photo studio somewhere?
Thank you and appreciate your quick repsonse.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:24 pm

Hello All,
Just found out that the exact measurement next to photo says 50.8mm by 50.8mm which is equivalent to 2inch by 2inch (if I convert in google) as per guidelines. So I am hoping this should be fine, please let me know if someone think differently.

@sathyauk: Appreciate if you could confirm on below query too. Thank you.

If I understood the last question's response correctly, for RC appointment in HCI (Aldwych, London) the applicant has to come in person but VFS (Goswell Rd, London) RC documents drop on same day anyone can do. Could you please confirm on this?
If I have to come back for another day for documents drop in VFS, how do I book separate appointment and how much it costs please? Any time limits for documents drop once signed please?
Just checking on this (haven't decided yet), will it be an issue if I apply for OCI before going out to India in Jul, but travelling out in e-visa this time and collect OCI once back in Sep?
Thanks.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:17 pm

vinodhk wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 11:08 pm
Many thanks @sathyauk. If I understood the last question's response correctly, for RC appointment in HCI (Aldwych, London) the applicant has to come in person but VFS (Goswell Rd, London) RC documents drop on same day anyone can do. Could you please confirm on this? -You are correct. I think Goswell can do both RC Witness signing and submission. You need to go by 3 PM so your RC will be done. A HCI consular will be available at Goswell to sign the application. You don't need to go to HCI(This is applicable only for Goswell VFS, you can double check on this)
If I have to come back for another day for documents drop in VFS, how do I book separate appointment and how much it costs please? - You don't need to book another appointment, you can got to VFS with the same appointment, ensure to take a copy of the appointment
Any time limits for documents drop once signed please?
Just checking on this (haven't decided yet), will it be an issue if I apply for OCI before going out to India in Jul, but travelling out in e-visa this time and collect OCI once back in Sep? - Not an issue
Thanks.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:19 pm

Thanks very much @sathyauk. You are right on RC sign and submission in Goswell, confirmed with VFS helpine number today. Sorry for another urgent question, I have booked for tomorrow morning 8:30 VFS appointment and was planning to go to office after that. Am I allowed to take the laptop inside the centre please? I took laptop inside in the past but seeing this guide now only https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/ind/a ... %20Goswell where it says its not allowed and says only plastic bag with docs allowed. Is it a recent change and anyone was able to take laptop inside recently please? Appreciate your early response.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:50 pm

vinodhk wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:19 pm
Thanks very much @sathyauk. You are right on RC sign and submission in Goswell, confirmed with VFS helpine number today. Sorry for another urgent question, I have booked for tomorrow morning 8:30 VFS appointment and was planning to go to office after that. Am I allowed to take the laptop inside the centre please? I took laptop inside in the past but seeing this guide now only https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/ind/a ... %20Goswell where it says its not allowed and says only plastic bag with docs allowed. Is it a recent change and anyone was able to take laptop inside recently please? Appreciate your early response.
- You can take your laptop and phone but it is not allowed inside HCI

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:56 pm

Sorry, do you mean not allowed in VFS Goswell centre please as I am going there tomorrow for Surrender certificate appointment?

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:36 pm

You can carry your laptop inside VFS

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:59 pm

Thank you very much @sathyauk. Appreciate your quick response. Let me see how it goes.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:53 pm

Hi @sathyauk,

I was able to submit my daughter's surrender application successfully but Mrs one was turned down because her parent's surnames were included in the application form but only firstnames were in her passport. They asked me to create new application form and new appointment. So I have been trying to book another appointment since 10am today morning but were not successful as it loads the page again with weird yellow bar at the top everytime I submit (tried different browsers, different laptops). Tried slots until next monday but the same issue. Was wondering is there any checks in the system which blocks to book another one when you hold existing appointment in the same day (even though its passed). Appreciate your quick response as I want to get this submitted as soon as possible. Thank you.

Alcatraz
Newly Registered
India

Post by Alcatraz » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:33 pm

vinodhk wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:53 pm
Hi @sathyauk,

I was able to submit my daughter's surrender application successfully but Mrs one was turned down because her parent's surnames were included in the application form but only firstnames were in her passport. They asked me to create new application form and new appointment. So I have been trying to book another appointment since 10am today morning but were not successful as it loads the page again with weird yellow bar at the top everytime I submit (tried different browsers, different laptops). Tried slots until next monday but the same issue. Was wondering is there any checks in the system which blocks to book another one when you hold existing appointment in the same day (even though its passed). Appreciate your quick response as I want to get this submitted as soon as possible. Thank you.
I think you need to wait for 1-2 days before you can book a new slot. Alternatively , book slot on your UK passport and VFS will allow it. There's no check on which passport you are booking the appointment as it is just to reserve the slot but it should valid passport number.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:23 am

Thank you. Yes, looks like I had to wait for a day for the same applicant, managed to book just now but got only Monday. Thanks for that tip, will keep in mind if same situation occurs in future.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:50 am

vinodhk wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:23 am
Thank you. Yes, looks like I had to wait for a day for the same applicant, managed to book just now but got only Monday. Thanks for that tip, will keep in mind if same situation occurs in future.
- Walk in to VFS after 2:30 PM, no need of different appointment. That's what I did couple of times

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:35 pm

Thanks @sathyauk. But just called vfs helpline to confirm on that and they said appointment is mandatory and there is no walk-in service available for VFS Goswell. So thinking if I can give it a go tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning one I booked already.

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:02 pm

Hi Sathya and all, hope all are doing well. I received the surrender certificate for my wife today and it reads as "issued to Mr/Ms <firstname> <lastname>" . Could you please help to clarify if it needs to read as Mrs or they generally only issue like this? Thank you.

akrcuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by akrcuk » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:54 pm

vinodhk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:02 pm
"issued to Mr/Ms <firstname> <lastname>"
Received spouse's Surrender certificate today too. We were wondering about the same. It's somewhat silly for them to make such a fundamental mistake. Hopefully, the only need for this certificate is for the first OCI and then never again.

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:33 pm

vinodhk wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:02 pm
Hi Sathya and all, hope all are doing well. I received the surrender certificate for my wife today and it reads as "issued to Mr/Ms <firstname> <lastname>" . Could you please help to clarify if it needs to read as Mrs or they generally only issue like this? Thank you.
This is the usual template, nothing to worry. My SC says the same but I got my OCI

vinodhk
United Kingdom

Post by vinodhk » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:58 am

Thanks Sathya 🙏

Jaynaik
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jaynaik » Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:55 pm

Hi , I am applying for OCI while my renunciation application is still under process. I have paid for renunciation application online 8000rs separately from India. And, 26.44£ paid at VFS for other service charge plus courier charges.

Which payment recipient number do I need to use for OCI application. MHA receipt number or VFS ref no starts with GBRLxxxx ?
Please advise .