ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lightbulb1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Citizenship Questions

Post by lightbulb1 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:34 pm

Apologies if these questions have been previously addressed. I am eligible to apply for Citizenship next year. I have the following questions:
  • Relationship Status Inquiry: As I am recently engaged to my fiancée who lives abroad, should I list my relationship status as 'married' or 'unmarried partner' if we are still engaged at the time of application?
  • Fiancée Visa Concern: If I plan to sponsor her for a visa and it gets refused, will that affect my Citizenship application, considering she will be living abroad. Also, is it recommended to sposnor her after I get Citizenship first?
  • Travel History Details: When documenting travel history, if I visited two countries while outside the UK, should I list only one country and specify the travel dates for each country in the reasons section?
  • Proof of living in the UK: As I have ILR, is my passport the only document required for submission to prove that I have been living in the UK or for example I need to add also council tax etc?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship Questions

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:50 pm

Relationship Status Inquiry: As I am recently engaged to my fiancée who lives abroad, should I list my relationship status as 'married' or 'unmarried partner' if we are still engaged at the time of application?
You are not married, so you cannot state that.
Fiancée Visa Concern: If I plan to sponsor her for a visa and it gets refused, will that affect my Citizenship application, considering she will be living abroad. Also, is it recommended to sposnor her after I get Citizenship first?
No, this has absolutely no effect on your application. Why would it? It doesn't matter when you sponsor her. You are overthinking.
Travel History Details: When documenting travel history, if I visited two countries while outside the UK, should I list only one country and specify the travel dates for each country in the reasons section?
Should be fine.
Proof of living in the UK: As I have ILR, is my passport the only document required for submission to prove that I have been living in the UK or for example I need to add also council tax etc?
Passport only.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lightbulb1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lightbulb1 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:46 pm

Thank you so much. I am truly hopeful that I can bring her over, but I am concerned that if her visa is refused—given that we do not currently live together—it might impact my naturalisation application, particularly in light of the following statement in the guide:
Future intentions
If you are applying under the 5-year route (section 6(1)), you will need to confirm that,
should your naturalisation application be successful, you intend to continue living in the
UK.
If you meet the absence requirements set out above, this will usually be sufficient to
demonstrate that the UK will be your principal residence, as long as there is no information
that casts doubt on your intention, such as:
• a partner who is living, or who intends to live, outside the UK
• a recent absent absence from the UK for a period of 6 months or more
This does not necessarily mean your application will be refused but you may need to
provide additional information to support your application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:47 pm

given that we do not currently live together—it might impact my naturalisation application, particularly in light of the following statement in the guide:
It won't. You are overthinking!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:13 pm

lightbulb1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:46 pm
I am concerned that if her visa is refused—given that we do not currently live together—it might impact my naturalisation application
You don't need to mention anything about your fiancé in the naturalisation application.

To legal effects your civil or marital status is single, meaning any current/future fiancé visa application is irrelevant to your process.

lightbulb1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lightbulb1 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:39 pm

Great! Thanks a lot for both of your input, I really appreciate it. So, if she is my fiance on the date of application I should put myself as "single"? Or is "unmarried partner" a more accurate term in my case.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:40 pm

In law you are single (i.e. unmarried).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:36 pm

lightbulb1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:39 pm
Great! Thanks a lot for both of your input, I really appreciate it. So, if she is my fiance on the date of application I should put myself as "single"? Or is "unmarried partner" a more accurate term in my case.
You are SINGLE so select option as such.