ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent Help Needed - Spouse Visa Extension Language Requirement Confusion

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Qismat
United Kingdom

Advice Needed for Spouse Visa Extension - Should I Hire a Solicitor or DIY?

Post by Qismat » Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm seeking some advice and guidance on extending my wife's spouse visa.

Here's our situation:

I am a British citizen.
My wife received her initial spouse visa in 2022 while she was in Pakistan.
Her current visa is set to expire on the 8th of July.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth hiring a solicitor to handle the application process or if it's manageable enough to do it myself. For those who have been through this process, do you recommend using a solicitor, or is it straightforward enough to handle on our own?

If it's feasible to do it myself, I would greatly appreciate a step-by-step guide on how to proceed. Specifically, we need help with the following:

Documents Required: What documents do we need to prepare and submit for the extension?

Application Form: Which specific application form do we need to fill out, and where can we find it?

Biometric Appointment: How do we schedule the biometric appointment, and what should we expect during this process?

Submission Process: Once we have everything ready, how and where do we submit the application?
Fees: What are the fees associated with the spouse visa extension?

Any Tips or Advice: Any additional tips or advice from those who have been through this process would be incredibly helpful.

Additionally, if anyone can point me towards a detailed forum thread or video tutorial that walks through the process step-by-step, that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Qismat

Qismat
United Kingdom

Urgent Help Needed - Spouse Visa Extension Language Requirement Confusion

Post by Qismat » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:36 pm

Thread Title: Urgent Help Needed - Spouse Visa Extension Language Requirement Confusion
Hello everyone,
I'm in urgent need of some advice and clarification regarding my wife's spouse visa extension.
Here's our situation:

• My wife initially did the GESE (Grade 2) A1 English test based on our solicitor's advice, which we were told was sufficient for her 2.5-year spouse visa extension.
• After checking online, I found out that she needs to pass an A2 or B1 level test for the extension.
• Her current spouse visa expires on the 8th of July, leaving us with only one month to address this.
Given this tight timeline, we're concerned about the potential issues we might face if we apply slightly late because my wife needs time to prepare for the A2/B1 test.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on the following:

1. Language Requirement Confirmation: Can anyone confirm if A2 or B1 is indeed the correct requirement for the spouse visa extension?
2. Late Application Consequences: What are the potential consequences if we submit the application slightly late due to the time needed for my wife to prepare and pass the A2/B1 test?
3. Advice on Preparation: Any tips on how to quickly and effectively prepare for the A2 or B1 test would be very helpful.
4. Any Experiences: Has anyone been in a similar situation, and how did you handle it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. We want to ensure we meet all requirements correctly and avoid any issues with her visa extension.

Best regards,
Qismat

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Urgent Help Needed - Spouse Visa Extension Language Requirement Confusion

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Topics Merged!! It is not necessary to start a new topic with every question!! Keep all your questions in one topic/thread.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Advice Needed for Spouse Visa Extension - Should I Hire a Solicitor or DIY?

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:09 pm

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth hiring a solicitor to handle the application process or if it's manageable enough to do it myself. For those who have been through this process, do you recommend using a solicitor, or is it straightforward enough to handle on our own?

If it's feasible to do it myself, I would greatly appreciate a step-by-step guide on how to proceed. Specifically, we need help with the following:
You don't need a solicitor, provided you meet all the requirements.
Documents Required: What documents do we need to prepare and submit for the extension?
English A2 minimum, 6 months or 12 months evidence of meeting the Financial requirement, 2 years evidence of cohabitation in both your names.
Application Form: Which specific application form do we need to fill out, and where can we find it?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... form-flr-m
Biometric Appointment: How do we schedule the biometric appointment, and what should we expect during this process?
You will be directed to UKCVAS once you have completed, paid and submitted the online application form. You upload your documents on the UKCVAS portal too.
Submission Process: Once we have everything ready, how and where do we submit the application?
Online, link above.
Fees: What are the fees associated with the spouse visa extension?
Visa Fee : £1048
IHS Fee : £2,587.50 for a 2.5 year visa extension.
Additionally, if anyone can point me towards a detailed forum thread or video tutorial that walks through the process step-by-step, that would be extremely helpful.
There is one single topic. Wait for people to respond to your queries.
1. Language Requirement Confirmation: Can anyone confirm if A2 or B1 is indeed the correct requirement for the spouse visa extension?
A2 is the MINIMUM. She can do B1 too.
2. Late Application Consequences: What are the potential consequences if we submit the application slightly late due to the time needed for my wife to prepare and pass the A2/B1 test?
She MUST apply for an extension BEFORE her current visa expires otherwise she will be an overstayer. You have left this all very late to start preparing.
3. Advice on Preparation: Any tips on how to quickly and effectively prepare for the A2 or B1 test would be very helpful.
There is NOTHING to study or prepare. It is a 10 minute test.

Stop panicky and post for urgent advice. Simply book the test at least 7 days before you plan to apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:42 pm

Try Trinity College London GESE SELT at Level B1

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:40 pm

Thanks CR001 and AmazonianX for your help. Is there a significant difference between A2 and B1 in terms of difficulty ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:20 am

Qismat wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:40 pm
Thanks CR001 and AmazonianX for your help. Is there a significant difference between A2 and B1 in terms of difficulty ?
You know the ability of applicant, try search for videos online to get an idea of what it's like.
For TCL B1, it's conversation for 10 minutes on everyday matters with the examiner.

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:46 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:20 am
Qismat wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:40 pm
You know the ability of applicant, try search for videos online to get an idea of what it's like.
For TCL B1, it's conversation for 10 minutes on everyday matters with the examiner.
Ok great, thanks

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Under English test section, for awarding body do I enter Trinity College London? I done the exam with them but I'm not sure if their the awarding body ?

Also, I need to provide 12 banks statements due to break in my jobs. Can I print this from the banks website as PDF or do I need to order official bank statements from the bank ?

Thanks,
Raja

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:20 pm

Qismat wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:00 pm
Hi all,

Under English test section, for awarding body do I enter Trinity College London? Yes I done the exam with them but I'm not sure if their the awarding body ?

Also, I need to provide 12 banks statements due to break in my jobs. Can I print this from the banks website as PDF or do I need to order official bank statements from the bank ? PDF from online download is accepted.

Thanks,
Raja

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:31 pm

Great, thanks for the swift reply

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:39 pm

Under, Is your partner known by another name? Do I enter my previous name as I changed my name

In spouse section, "How long have they had British citizenship?" the date citizenship obtained do I enter the date on certificate of neutralisation ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:36 am

Qismat wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:39 pm
Under, Is your partner known by another name? Do I enter my previous name as I changed my name Yes if you were previously known by another name

In spouse section, "How long have they had British citizenship?" the date citizenship obtained do I enter the date on certificate of neutralisation ? Date on naturalisation

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Great, thanks

Qismat
United Kingdom

Post by Qismat » Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Hi,

When it comes to scanning the applicant's passport does scanning the main page only suffice or is it important to scan all the pages of the passport ?

Also, for the spouse who is sponsoring, is it sufficient to scan the main page of their passport only to show proof of British citizenship or is it important to scan all the pages ?

Thanks,
Raja

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:35 pm

When it comes to scanning the applicant's passport does scanning the main page only suffice or is it important to scan all the pages of the passport ?
Biometric page AND all stamped pages.
Also, for the spouse who is sponsoring, is it sufficient to scan the main page of their passport only to show proof of British citizenship or is it important to scan all the pages ?
Biometric page only.
Char (CR001 not Casa)