ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions and possible effects on application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DreamRiver
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Questions and possible effects on application

Post by DreamRiver » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I submitted my application in late March but I have yet to hear back.

Since the application only asked about the previous 10 years of immigration history, I didn’t think to scrutinise my passport that were valid before then. The story I’ve always heard from my parents is that I was under a dependent visa when I first arrived in the UK as I was 2 years old, I then got a limited leave to remain visa, which later became an indefinite leave to remain visa when I was 9. When I looked at all of my passports again, there was a roughly 1 month period where I had overstayed my original dependent visa (I think it was Tier C?). My parents said they were waiting for the LMR visa to be granted and it was taking longer than expected. We were not deported, and we had no issues leaving the country, coming back or getting our ILR, BRP, eVisa, etc.

As far as I was aware when I filled out the application, I had always been in the country legally, and my parents never said anything while I was filling it out. Only after.

Would this impact my application in anyway? Everything else in the application is correct but I’m wondering if it will impact my application when I had not purposely overstayed since I was a minor (3/4 years old). For some clarification, 10 years prior, I was covered by my Indefinite Leave to Remain Visa.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Questions and possible effects on application

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:13 pm

Overstaying when you were under 18 is unlikely to be an issue for a naturalisation application as an adult, especially if it occurred more than 10 years ago.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

DreamRiver
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by DreamRiver » Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:00 am

Okay, thank you!

My case is otherwise straightforward, so I was worried that this could be the reason for the delay but I was not quite sure.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:47 am

Each application is assessed on a different timeline, and we don't know how caseworkers operate or the checks they have to run, so it is not helpful to frame applications as "straightforward" based on an arbitrary set of criteria. Your application is still within the 6 months standard processing time window. It is a stressful time, but for now you can only wait. Once you hit the 6 months mark you wll be able to start following up.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.