ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling before ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

culka11
Newly Registered

Traveling before ceremony

Post by culka11 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:11 pm

I just received an email from the local council inviting me to the citizenship ceremony - the earliest date they can offer is 1st August and the council does not do private ceremonies. I still haven't received the HO letter, but I suspect/presume it will show up today.

I'm a non-EU citizen with a EUSS BRP - which I will be required to send back once the HO letter arrives. I am meant to travel over the next couple of months and was wondering:

- am I right in saying that basically, I will not be allowed to leave the country once I send my BRP back (I am a visa-national, so need a visa to travel here)?
- if yes, is there a way around this? A way to postpone the handing over of the BRP for after the ceremony?

-one of my planned trips is to Ireland - and scheduled for after the ceremony but likely before I would get the new passport. Is this possible in any way given I would, after the ceremony, be a British citizen and traveling around the CTA?

Hoping beyond hope:)

Thank you all!

Bojana

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Traveling before ceremony

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:30 pm

culka11 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:11 pm
I just received an email from the local council inviting me to the citizenship ceremony - the earliest date they can offer is 1st August and the council does not do private ceremonies. I still haven't received the HO letter, but I suspect/presume it will show up today.

I'm a non-EU citizen with a EUSS BRP - which I will be required to send back once the HO letter arrives. I am meant to travel over the next couple of months and was wondering: Don't send it back until you are British - which is after attending the ceremony!

- am I right in saying that basically, I will not be allowed to leave the country once I send my BRP back (I am a visa-national, so need a visa to travel here)? Wrong - you can travel, you are not British yet!
- if yes, is there a way around this? A way to postpone the handing over of the BRP for after the ceremony? No need for a way round you can return your BRP until after you got the passport. Don't be scared by the threat of a fine!

-one of my planned trips is to Ireland - and scheduled for after the ceremony but likely before I would get the new passport. Is this possible in any way given I would, after the ceremony, be a British citizen and traveling around the CTA?

Thank you all!

Bojana
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:31 pm

culka11 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:11 pm

I'm a non-EU citizen with a EUSS BRP - which I will be required to send back once the HO letter arrives. I am meant to travel over the next couple of months and was wondering:

- am I right in saying that basically, I will not be allowed to leave the country once I send my BRP back (I am a visa-national, so need a visa to travel here)?
- if yes, is there a way around this? A way to postpone the handing over of the BRP for after the ceremony?

Thank you all!

Bojana
You do not have to send the BRP back, no confirmed report of getting fined for not doing so.
If the BRP is still in date it therefore means you can travel.
On the other hand naturalisation certificate can be used at PoE to UK however you need to get here first but as of now it appears only BRP/ILR vignette is what is accepted as evidence of right to be in UK by airlines.

PS: If error(s) on above, knowledgeable person do correct.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:32 pm

@alterhase58 done it.

culka11
Newly Registered

Post by culka11 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:26 pm

Thank you both - just double checking: you would suggest not returning the BRP until after I get the UK passport (in other words, keep it even after the ceremony)?

Thanks again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:59 pm

You can travel, no need to worry about returning it at this stage. They threaten to fine you if you don't return it within 5 days after you attend the ceremony but I believe only one person has ever been fined for keeping it and reported that on the forum. You should apply for a British passport as soon as possible after the ceremony and only use that to travel in the future but you can keeo the BRP especially if you have children who rely on your ILR to claim British citizenship.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

culka11
Newly Registered

Post by culka11 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:11 pm

Thank for clarifying - and for mentioning about the children thing (registering is next on my to-do list!).

All makes sense now!