ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Messiah
Newly Registered
South Africa

Dual citizenship

Post by Messiah » Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:02 am

Hi,
Please can someone advise on dual citizenship. I am
South African and I have just received my British Citizenship. My South African passport has expired which I will need to renew to keep my South African citizenship.

Can I just go to VFS Global and renew it or do I need to do something else first, not really sure what the process is on dual citizenship, do I need
to let the home office know that I’m keeping my South African passport? South Africa offers dual citizenship.

Many thanks for you help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Dual citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:18 am

Did you apply for retention of your south African citizenship before applying for British citizenship? If you have not done this, you have automatically lost your SA citizenship and can't renew your passport.

The uk dont care about your other nationalities and you don't have to tell them you are keeping one or are dual etc.

It is the south African authorities that are the issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Dual citizenship

Post by meself2 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:20 am

Messiah wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:02 am
do I need
to let the home office know that I’m keeping my South African passport? South Africa offers dual citizenship
There's no requirement to notify the HO. There are certain steps you need to take to keep your South African citizenship, set by South African government (I cannot recall the details, others will advise) that you should have done to keep it, though; I assume you've done them.

Edit: beaten by Char!
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.