ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naked truths about what comes after in the UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Tue May 31, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi Folks,

i think VP wrote that his WIFE had been working one month and 10 days, AlexStiva! pay attention mate! he he

well, the objective of this thread is to help ourselves by sharing experiences from members who are already working or looking for work in the UK. it is not written to discourage, scare or bother anybody.

so far we have gotten some experiences shared here from some members. i wonder if we could get MORE input about how recruiters or employment agencies treat foreigners.

remember taht ALL the ideas are important, helpful and necessary!!

it could be little things like getting used to the accent, or bigger ones like if having uk is truly a must or not!

thank you for helping other members here

good luck

jhonny
:)

AlexStiva
Newly Registered

Post by AlexStiva » Tue May 31, 2005 11:02 pm

JhonnyECU wrote:i think VP wrote that his WIFE had been working one month and 10 days, AlexStiva! pay attention mate! he he
With regards to VP's post, timeline:

Arrival +1 week (wife got job) + 1.10 month (VP got job) + 1 month (wife got job #2)+ few days only (VP got job) = VP worked for the first employer for a month and a few days.

Mathematics, mate ! he he

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:33 pm

I came to the UK with only 5 months left on my HSMP visa, I got a job temporary job after 2months, got a permanent offer in the first week of starting the temporary job so I resigned and took up the permanent post, both jobs were through agencies. Initially dealing with the bigger agencies such as reed was disheartening, they kept stressing that it would be nigh impossible to get a decent job without UK experience and suggested that I look for low paying, entry level type jobs. I tried this initially but kept getting turned down for the entry level jobs.

I took the advice of experienced friends and ignored the agencies advise not to sign up with too many other agencies. Through God's help I was able to get decent jobs within my field through lesser known agencies. At the time of renewal I had only been working for a month and a half.
'In everything give thanks'

wendybham
Newly Registered

Post by wendybham » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:37 am

OFCHARITY wrote:I came to the UK with only 5 months left on my HSMP visa,.....
Hi, OFCHARITY,

you just arrived UK with only 5 months left on your HSMP visa, will you have problem when you apply for renewal as HSMP requires to stay UK no less than 9 months in the first year.

I got the HSMP visa in this March, and I am still in my country due to personal reasons. I may not able to spend 9 months in UK, do you think it is ok when I apply for renewal. I've landed uk in May 1st and back to my country on May 6th, I may not go back to UK until end of June. Do you think it is ok?

Thanks

wendybham

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi wendybham,

I have already applied for and gotten my first year extension without any problems, There may be problems when time comes to apply for Indefinate leave to remain, but in the meantime I hope there is some change in the policies to allow HSMP holders to extend their visas beyond the 4th year or that some other avenue avails itself.
'In everything give thanks'

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:27 am

Hi all,

interesting stories have been told in this thread until now. however, it would be nicer to hear MORE stories about the ones who, after obtaining their ECs, are recently trying to get a job in the UK.

that is the part of the process this thread is dedicated to. that time in which all of us are leaving our countries and moving to the UK for good.

those "first baby steps", those are the important ones here.

thanks for your help and many many posts

cheers

jhonny

taikoo
Newly Registered

Post by taikoo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:14 am

Jhonny,

Thanks for taking interest and making this thread continue.

I only wish all those who have settled down with good jobs post their experiences here, so that HSMP applicants like me will have positive frame of mind while entering UK.

I am particularly interested if some one could provide information or guide me on how to look for a bank jobs in London or UK.

Thanks, Taikoo

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Taikoo,

i disagree with your idea of just hearing the nice and happy stories here.

of couse, those posts encourage us to continue walking forward but the ones which are more helpful are the ones which prevent us to make a mistake some else made on their paths, right?

another thing is that ALL industries are important here. the broader the feedback the more realistic picture we can get of how the first steps are like...

please to all members who have applied in the last three months, could you fill in the poll from maverick 76 about current processing time?

best

jhonny