ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IntravenousTea
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by IntravenousTea » Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:21 pm

Congrats to those receiving their citizenships recently! (Incl. me :D ) Received everything back by signed post (Royal Mail) the other day in 2 separate plastic wallets.

Haven't been back in a while but made sure to keep my entry on the spreadsheet sorted. (My witness wasn't contacted btw). I'm extremely grateful to DBlean calling them up early June and his entry comment about it "already being approved", that gave me a good source of encouragement in the final weeks that it was just a matter of time.

So as noted by some others too, it seems mine was approved (cert date agrees) about 6 weeks before the congrats notification came through: a clear indication of how overloaded they must be, and that there will likely be a few people whose applications are already sorted but are just waiting to hear back.
SonoLento wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:38 am
Looking at the sheets - is it me or is the 17th July not being processed, while August and late July is...
I'm not sure why there's a dead spot there (I'm July 18th), but if those before and after are any indication, it may have been sorted mid-May and just needs the proverbial finishing touches. I think if something had gone missing they would have mentioned it by now; it's extremely likely it's been looked at anyway. Hope you hear something back very soon!

David007
Newly Registered
Wales

Re: Foreign Birth Registration help

Post by David007 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:48 pm

Is there anyone out there who an help with a question? It appears my grandmother was Irish and I’m not sure if she registered my father (both passed) on the FBR. Can you let me know how i go about accessing the register? I’m guessing I’ll be it of luck to get citizenship, but I want to try. It seems odd that they insist on a FBR despite birth certificates and evidence etc? Maybe one day they will repeal it and we can all apply. I can’t see my Nan doing it in all honesty but I’d like to give it a go if it is an option. Thanks David

IntravenousTea
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by IntravenousTea » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:04 pm

David007 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:48 pm
Is there anyone out there who an help with a question? It appears my grandmother was Irish and I’m not sure if she registered my father (both passed) on the FBR. Can you let me know how i go about accessing the register? I’m guessing I’ll be it of luck to get citizenship, but I want to try. It seems odd that they insist on a FBR despite birth certificates and evidence etc? Maybe one day they will repeal it and we can all apply. I can’t see my Nan doing it in all honesty but I’d like to give it a go if it is an option. Thanks David
I think, David, I might get the honour of giving you some very good news if what you've described is as I'm reading. (To be absolutely sure, do you know where your grandmother and father were each born?)

If your grandmother was Irish (not 'great grandmother' and that is, born in Ireland before 2005 etc etc), she and any of her children by extension are also Irish Citizens already (regardless of where they were born) and have no need to register themselves as a foreign birth via FBR. As citizens, they can apply for Irish passports too.

You, as a grandchild are eligible to register via FBR though, you'll just need to start gathering the required documents and your witness signed ID copy and proofs of address etc.

Some common caveats: any children you've had prior to going on the FBR yourself will be ineligible, nor can they use your parent or grandparent in a clever loophole (you'd be surprised how often that suggestion comes up). Any of your children born after you're down on the FBR will become eligible though, through you instead.

David007
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by David007 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi IT

I may not have made it clear. My grandmother was born in the UK. Her father and grandfather were born in Ireland. My grandmother had automatic citizenship because her father (my GGF) was born in Ireland as was my GGGF. As I understand it for me to get any hope of a sniff at citizenship my father sough has been on the FBR. They are obviously all passed now. Ironically my partner is Irish, and my daughter born in the UK has an Irish citizen too! I don’t feel optimistic as I assume my father should be on the FBR. I just wondered why they do FBR when I can prove that my family lineage exits as I’ve the papers to prove it! I m not very optimistic.
Greeting from Wales and thank you

David

IntravenousTea
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by IntravenousTea » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:33 pm

David007 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:15 pm
Hi IT

I may not have made it clear. My grandmother was born in the UK. Her father and grandfather were born in Ireland. My grandmother had automatic citizenship because her father (my GGF) was born in Ireland as was my GGGF. As I understand it for me to get any hope of a sniff at citizenship my father sough has been on the FBR. They are obviously all passed now. Ironically my partner is Irish, and my daughter born in the UK has an Irish citizen too! I don’t feel optimistic as I assume my father should be on the FBR. I just wondered why they do FBR when I can prove that my family lineage exits as I’ve the papers to prove it! I m not very optimistic.
Greeting from Wales and thank you

David
Oh, I see! That's a shame, I was really looking forward to giving someone some good news lol

Your grandmother's father was the Ireland-born person, I see. So your father, you hope was FBR registered before you were born, so you could do it too, I see. There might be some wiggle room concerning when the FBR rules came into effect around when your dad was registered (if he was) and whether different rules were in effect decades ago, but I must confess I'm not at all familiar with that.

It's a very good question, I think there should be a way just like requesting birth certificates, if we could ask to verify if someone is on the FBR/when they were added. Would love to hear of anything more on this from someone who's ever submitted an information request or something.

In my opinion, I think if a parent knew they were registered on the FBR (either through their own parent's doing or by themselves), and knew the implications and constraints, they'd be much more likely to see to their children getting registered themselves for them while they're young (or at least telling them that they were registered beforehand, so the possibility is always there for them). I don't think this sort of thing gets talked about enough, my dad had no idea.

Any chance you might find a long lost FBR certificate belonging to your dad that restores the possibility?

All the best anyways!

David007
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by David007 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:47 pm

No, think its a dead duck, I would have found it. I am assuming there is registerer one can access or one can apply to see if someone is on there? As i said its ironic and I’ve just geomapped my GGF’s farm from 1875 (obviously it gone now mind you!). I’m abit gutted. You’d think they will be a little more flexible and let descant’s up to GGGF retrospectively apply to the register? Not sure if one could challenge it under human rights law? Ima little stumped now and may have to accept that its not to be. Thought of a begging letter to the Minster under the Irish by association application but I may not get past the first post! Maybe one day they’ll have an amnesty and we can apply. Seems very discriminatory and puts one at a disadvantage through no fault of their own.

J_W
Newly Registered
England

Post by J_W » Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:40 am

Hi David, I feel your pain, but I don't think they will be an exception. This also doesn't fall under any human rights laws. Sorry buddy it's just the way it works sometimes. I think you're out of luck.

If you move to IE (Which you can do on a British passport) and live there for 5 out of 9 years, you can become naturalised, but that's your only real route at this point.

eastern1977
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by eastern1977 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:09 pm

Does anyone know of a contact number to enquire on how an application is progressing?

It is over 2 years since I applied. Sent in additional documents requested, but not heard anything since.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:09 am

eastern1977 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:09 pm
Does anyone know of a contact number to enquire on how an application is progressing?

It is over 2 years since I applied. Sent in additional documents requested, but not heard anything since.
You can try to send an email to FBR.urgentqueries.DFA.IE
Sometimes they answer & sometimes an autoreply.
jgclancy

tulipgarden
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tulipgarden » Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:34 am

eastern1977 wrote:

you can call them on +353 01408 2000, have spoken to them re being pregnant and they were really helpful good luck! ☺️

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:47 pm

eastern1977 wrote:

Regretably it would point towards the docs you sent not being received as a speculative guess

Another no is
The contact number for urgent Foreign Birth Registration queries is +353 1 568 3331

Good luck

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:51 pm

Hachimaru wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:47 pm
eastern1977 wrote:

Regretably it would point towards the docs you sent not being received as a speculative guess

Another no is
The contact number for urgent Foreign Birth Registration queries is +353 1 568 3331

Good luck
Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs official line as of 10th july 2024 is
The turnaround time from receipt of all required supporting documents is 9 months

But ....YMMV

Clint92
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Clint92 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:23 pm

Applied last month so adding my timeline for reference

Applied online: 15th June 2024
Application form & Docs posted: 24th June 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered: 27th June 2024
Confirmation email: 28th June 2024
Address Verification:
Congrats email:
Cert received:

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:52 am

Hello everyone,

I'll soon be applying for Irish citizenship, and I just have a question about some documentation.

First off, let me spell out my personal situation here:

Applying Via: Grandfather, born in Ireland.
His Irish Child: My father, born in the UK.

So I know I qualify, no issue there.

With regard to the necessary birth/death/marriage certificates, the HSE in Dublin have been extremely helpful in providing both my Grandad's birth and death certificates with limited information. I also have Dad's birth & death certificates to hand, and my own birth certificate, no worries there either.

The problem arises with the marriage certificates. The HSE need the date and location of the wedding to pull Grandad's marriage certificate, and none of us have the first clue as to when that occurred. The thing is though, the wording on the required documents list states "if applicable" where that's concerned, and I don't think it is. I'm applying via my Grandfather (male), his son (also male, same surname), and obviously myself, the applicant, also male, same surname. As such, do I even need to bother with any marriage certificates in the first place? I mean, I get it if there's name changes involved, but there aren't so I should be good to go, right?

Look forward to reading some helpful replies!

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:22 am

Daymo34 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:52 am
Hello everyone,

I'll soon be applying for Irish citizenship, and I just have a question about some documentation.

With regard to the necessary birth/death/marriage certificates, the HSE in Dublin have been extremely helpful in providing both my Grandad's birth and death certificates with limited information. I also have Dad's birth & death certificates to hand, and my own birth certificate, no worries there either.

The problem arises with the marriage certificates. The HSE need the date and location of the wedding to pull Grandad's marriage certificate, and none of us have the first clue as to when that occurred. The thing is though, the wording on the required documents list states "if applicable" where that's concerned, and I don't think it is. I'm applying via my Grandfather (male), his son (also male, same surname), and obviously myself, the applicant, also male, same surname. As such, do I even need to bother with any marriage certificates in the first place? I mean, I get it if there's name changes involved, but there aren't so I should be good to go, right?

Im in the same situation as you, but manged to pull everything in a couple of hours from
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil- ... at-do-i-do
and the uk side which is a bit clunky
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/informat ... 1653949805

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:49 pm

Hachimaru wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:22 am

Im in the same situation as you, but manged to pull everything in a couple of hours from
Yes, I'm familiar with both of those resources, but, up until now, I'd had no luck with finding the marriage details of my grandparents. But I had another look, this time looking for similar derivatives of the surname, and bingo - found it. They've spelt his name wrong which is why I didn't see it before, but I now have that info too, and have submitted the certificate application to HSE.

So I guess the issue of whether or not I actually need to send the marriage certificate or not becomes a moot point now really, seeing as I'm going to be sending it anyway (and I have read from various sources that "the more documentation, the better) seems to be the way to go.)

Right then - on to the main citizenship application!

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:01 pm

Daymo34 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:49 pm
Hachimaru wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:22 am

Yes, I'm familiar with both of those resources, but, up until now, I'd had no luck with finding the marriage details of my grandparents. But I had another look, this time looking for similar derivatives of the surname, and bingo - found it. They've spelt his name wrong which is why I didn't see it before, but I now have that info too, and have submitted the certificate application to HSE.

So I guess the issue of whether or not I actually need to send the marriage certificate or not becomes a moot point now really, seeing as I'm going to be sending it anyway (and I have read from various sources that "the more documentation, the better) seems to be the way to go.)

Right then - on to the main citizenship application!
The marriage cert is antoher proof of lineage and although the Church doesnt rule with an iron rod anymore there . If the govt peeps request more docs its about an extra 3months and hassle you dont need

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:28 am

Daymo34 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:52 am
Hello everyone,

"If applicable" just means" if married". So if married you send it. People seem to try to interpret this many ways but that's it.
jgclancy

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:40 am

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:28 am

"If applicable" just means" if married". So if married you send it. People seem to try to interpret this many ways but that's it.
jgclancy
Understood. Well in that case, I suppose I'd better send my own marriage certificate too then (even though she's my third wife, and has absolutely bugger all to do with my Irish family lineage!!)😂

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:42 am

Daymo34 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:40 am
jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:28 am

jgclancy
Understood. Well in that case, I suppose I'd better send my own marriage certificate too then (even though she's my third wife, and has absolutely bugger all to do with my Irish family lineage!!)😂
The marriage certificates act as extra proof of name lineage and help deter fraud. My mother remarried and had passed away by the time I applied. Her death certificate had her 2nd marriage name so yep--provided proof of her second marriage to connect the dots.
They ask for your marriage certificate for same reasoning, It will have your parents names on it.Which will match your birth certificate. The totality of proving lineage is the idea. They may approve without it but they may also ask for it later (they ask for divorce papers sometimes as well). If they ask later add another 3-6 months until decision btw.
I tell people to add every BMD certificate. Add an extra ID & an extra proof of address. Notarize anything you can as well (makes it a government approved document). I've helped others and even added copies of censuses.
They just want to be sure the person applying matches documents. How many Michael & Mary Kelly's had a kid named Michael? LOL I can tell--a lot! Documents help delineate them & the more the better
Jgclancy---good luck!

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:54 am

jgclancy wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:30 pm

No. There is a list of people that can be witnesses besides a notary public. Being a notary public has nothing to do with being the witness. If you choose a notary public as your witness that is fine. However, most likely he needs to have a different notary public stamp the applicant ID photocopy.
A notary public CANNOT notarize their own signature.

So..to be clear. Anyone on the list of witnesses can sign & date the application plus the photos when you sign and date the application. Dates must be the same. If no stamp ( this stamp is a European thing - it dies not mean notarize) then witness includes a business card OR a letter with company information stating how they can be a witness/ are not related to you & how they know you. Best to notarize this letter too.
Whoever the witness is - teacher, notary public, police officer etc - then has to get your ID photocopy notarized . The date can differ.
IF your witness is a notary public the witness gets a different notary public to stamp his signature on the applicant ID.

Hope this makes it clear.

Jgclancy
Hi again, Jgclancy,

I happened upon this part of the thread whilst using the search terms “eu passport photos” and I wanted to clarify something here.

I understand the difference between witnessing & notarizing, BUT it’s this line from your post here that I’m puzzled by:

“Whoever the witness is - teacher, notary public, police officer etc -then has to get your ID photocopy notarized…”

After the witness has done their bit and signed the necessary documents, surely I can then take those documents to a notary myself to be notarized? Why does the witness have to do it? And quite apart from anything else, how is anyone ever going to know who took the forms to be notarized? Or am I missing something?

lukys
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lukys » Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:36 am

What on earth is all this talk of notarisation? I thought the idea was the witness just signs your stuff and that's that. I don't remember anything in the instructions or on the form that mentioned notarisation.

ALongWayToTipperary
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ALongWayToTipperary » Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:38 pm

Hi there, I was wondering what the confirmation email is supposed to look like, so I can search through my emails as it was delivered on the 5th of June, and I must've just missed the email, as it appears the confirmation email is supposed to come through rather quickly? Thanks

Applied online: 27th of April 2024
Application form & Docs posted: 28th of May 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered: 5th of June 2024
Confirmation email: ——
Address Verification: ——
Congrats email: ——
Cert received: ——

Hachimaru
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Hachimaru » Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:15 pm

ALongWayToTipperary wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:38 pm
Hi there, I was wondering what the confirmation email is supposed to look like, so I can search through my emails as it was delivered on the 5th of June, and I must've just missed the email, as it appears the confirmation email is supposed to come through rather quickly? Thanks

Applied online: 27th of April 2024
Application form & Docs posted: 28th of May 2024
Application form & Docs Delivered: 5th of June 2024
Confirmation email: ——
Address Verification: ——
Congrats email: ——
Cert received: ——
You didnt state whether ur junk folder was searched? or the bin but its
noreply@dfa.ie

It may also be hit and miss if its sent to everybody

Daymo34
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daymo34 » Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:32 pm

lukys wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:36 am
What on earth is all this talk of notarisation? I thought the idea was the witness just signs your stuff and that's that. I don't remember anything in the instructions or on the form that mentioned notarisation.
There isn't any need to notarize anything; it would seem that it's just an extra step that one can take if one so chooses.

However, having re-read the instructions, unless I'm mistaken, the notary, as an active member of one of the listed acceptable occupations, can use their stamp in lieu of a business card. That is to say that in this instance, the notary is acting purely as the witness, NOT notarizing the document, and as such, their stamp is the required form of professional identification in the mould of a business card.

At least that's the way I see it, which is helpful, because my witness is........................a notary!!! :D