ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Left my BRP at home, what to do?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

supgog
Newly Registered
Wallis and Futuna Islands

Left my BRP at home, what to do?

Post by supgog » Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:20 pm

I have recently got my ILR, and have travelled outside the UK. Unfortunately, I took the old BRP with me and not the new one.

I read somewhere a suggestion to have someone mail the BRP to me. This sounds risky as it could get lost, and would require me to extend my stay outside the UK.

What is my best bet here? Should I arrive at the UK border and try to explain the situation?
I'm coming from a visa-free country, so the airline shouldn't give me trouble.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Left my BRP at home, what to do?

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:08 am

You can travel and explain at the border. No issues
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

supgog
Newly Registered

Post by supgog » Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:35 pm

Has anyone ever tried it? I read some concerning options about applying for a time-one replacement BRP, which includes getting a biometric appointment abroad and waiting for up to three weeks.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:56 pm

You don't need to apply for a BRP replacement.

If the BRP card you took with you is still valid (not expired), it can be shown to the airline staff at the airport to board the flight back. They only verify that the card is not expired, they don't have any means to check whether you have ILR or any other immigration status.

That should not be an issue at the POE either, you will have the chance to explain (if asked, sometimes they don't even ask for or see the BRP) and Border Officers will allow you to enter the UK. On top of that you're a non-visa national, you shouldn't face any problem at all.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:10 pm

supgog wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:35 pm
Has anyone ever tried it? I read some concerning options about applying for a time-one replacement BRP, which includes getting a biometric appointment abroad and waiting for up to three weeks.
Please read similar advice given before, even to people with expired BRP: viewtopic.php?t=348225#p2170120
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:11 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:56 pm
You don't need to apply for a BRP replacement.

If the BRP card you took with you is still valid (not expired), it can be shown to the airline staff at the airport to board the flight back. They only verify that the card is not expired, they don't have any means to check whether you have ILR or any other immigration status.

That should not be an issue at the POE either, you will have the chance to explain (if asked, sometimes they don't even ask for or see the BRP) and Border Officers will allow you to enter the UK. On top of that you're a non-visa national, you shouldn't face any problem at all.
The OP is a non-visa national and so does not need to show any visa or BRP to board a plane to the UK

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:19 pm

zimba wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:11 pm
The OP is a non-visa national and so does not need to show any visa or BRP to board a plane to the UK
Correct.

That's why I also mentioned that
On top of that you're a non-visa national, you shouldn't face any problem at all.
Just first commented on the BRP card bit as it's OP's main concern.

supgog
Newly Registered

Post by supgog » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:09 pm

Thanks a lot, both of you. I'll update here how it went.

supgog
Newly Registered

Post by supgog » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:54 am

Update: The airline gave me no issues; they didn't even ask to see the BRP, even though they asked if I was a resident of the UK. The UK border was weirder. The officer was very nice and said it was not a problem that I only had my old BRP since it expires at the end of the year. The weird part was that he did not even scan my fingerprints before admitting me.