ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost Passport, Tier 2 and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RedTapeIsBad
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Lost Passport, Tier 2 and ILR

Post by RedTapeIsBad » Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi all,

I started working in the UK on a Tier 2 visa with a BRP in 2019 using passport 1. I renewed my Tier 2 visa in 2022 and I was told I will get NO BRP as the new Tier 2 visa will be linked to passport 1. In 2023 passport 1 became damaged and I ordered a new passport (passport 2). Passport 1 got confiscated at UK border control because my home government apparently marked it as lost/stolen.....

I am now going to be applying for my ILR imminently. I currently use passport 2 and the eGates to enter the country. Out of interest, I asked one of the border control agents when my visa expires using passport 2. They said they could see NO visa under passport 2 and said I need to link my visa to passport 2 (?).

I honestly have no clue what to do. Is there any "linking" of my Tier 2 visa that I need to do with passport 2? How do I do this? Will my ILR application be impacted if I do not do so? I was told by the agent that confiscated passport 1 that I can travel with no issues as long as I carry a photocopy of passport 1's details and hand it over to border control, should they ask.

Please advise.

zxyzhgp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Lost Passport, Tier 2 and ILR

Post by zxyzhgp » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:09 pm

Can you find the home office letter for your Tier 2? maybe some guildlines there mentioning linking?

RedTapeIsBad
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by RedTapeIsBad » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:17 pm

zxyzhgp wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:09 pm
Can you find the home office letter for your Tier 2? maybe some guildlines there mentioning linking?
My Tier 2 was handled by a third party company. IIRC whatever correspondence we had didn't mention anything about linking other than the fact that passport 1 had my Tier 2 linked to it.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:22 pm

What matters is your immigration status and not what passport you are using. An individual is granted an immigration status. This is NOT linked to a specific passport. UKVI will take care of the admin issue themselves but this will not affect your immigration status whatsoever. You will apply as usual for your ILR with your current valid passport.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

RedTapeIsBad
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by RedTapeIsBad » Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:53 am

zimba wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:22 pm
What matters is your immigration status and not what passport you are using. An individual is granted an immigration status. This is NOT linked to a specific passport. UKVI will take care of the admin issue themselves but this will not affect your immigration status whatsoever. You will apply as usual for your ILR with your current valid passport.
OK, good to know - thanks!