ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Waseem432000
Mood:
United Kingdom

English Language Requirements

Post by Waseem432000 » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of filling out my naturalisation application and I am confused about answering the questions about evidence of English.

1. I provided the IELTS certificate as part of my first Tier 2 application in 2018.
2. I wasn't asked to provide any evidence when I got my ILR last year.
3. Can I attach the same IELTS certificate (which expired a long time ago) as evidence with the naturalisation application or do I need to pass a new English test and attach that with my application?

Two questions are a bit confusing for me.

1. Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?( I answered Yes since I attached my IELTS in 2018)
2. Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? I don't remember adding anything for the English language with my ILR.

Looking at the sections here, settlement vs citizenship requirements look a bit confusing to me.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: English Language Requirements

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:55 pm

I think you need to sit for a new exam, as you weren't asked proof of language for ILR.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Waseem432000
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Waseem432000 » Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:03 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:55 pm
I think you need to sit for a new exam, as you weren't asked proof of language for ILR.
My assumption is also the same. It seems a bit weird that the previous submission was acceptable for ILR but not for citizenship but I guess I would get a new certificate just to be in the same side considering it can take up to 6 months for citizenship application decision. Cheers

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:02 am

vinny wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 am
However, it’s unclear for naturalisation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.