ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name In Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mark2019
United Kingdom

Name In Passport

Post by mark2019 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:28 pm

Hello Guys,

Hope you are all well.

We will be going for ILR soon now that my wife has almost completed her Spouse Extension Visa.

Historically as all her documentation was in her maiden name, up until now the visa have been in her maiden name.

When we go for ILR and she gets her UK passport, can we request the passport to be in our married name? If so, at what stage would you do this?

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Name In Passport

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:43 pm

She would need to change her foreign passport first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mark2019
United Kingdom

Post by mark2019 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:08 pm

What do you mean by change her foreign passport first?

What’s the reason she would need to do that?

Also she is unable to. We tried to last time and it’s a Peruvian Passport, they would only allow the maiden name plus the addition of “de” and my surname. E.g Gloria Sanchez Lopez De Thompson

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:16 am

mark2019 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:08 pm

Because UK passport office requests names to be aligned as per foreign passport.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accessible
Customers may send us a passport application in a name that does not match their foreign documents. Unless it meets one of our exceptions, we expect customers to change the name on their foreign document, so it matches the name on their passport application, before they send their application to us.
mark2019 wrote:
We tried to last time and it’s a Peruvian Passport, they would only allow the maiden name plus the addition of “de” and my surname. E.g Gloria Sanchez Lopez De Thompson
You might have to obtain some sort of official paperwork confirming that.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:48 am

mark2019 wrote:

Also she is unable to. We tried to last time and it’s a Peruvian Passport, they would only allow the maiden name plus the addition of “de” and my surname. E.g Gloria Sanchez Lopez De Thompson
Mainly because HMPO will not issue a British passport to someone with dual nationality whose other passport has a different name. I suggest updating the Peruvian passport before she applies for naturalisation
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:01 am

Alternatively, would it be simpler for her to continue keeping her documents in her maiden name? Conversely, consider changing your surname to your wife’s?

Weigh up the pros and cons of name changes, if there’s no legal obligation to change.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:20 am

mark2019 wrote:
Also consider that most likely the wife might need to update her Peruvian DNI (National Identity Document) before changing her Peruvian passport.

The structure of the maiden names after marriage in Latinamerican countries is not the same than in Britain. Every country has their own rules and normally the individual cannot suggest a preferred maiden name. The addition of the "de" is mandatory in many countries if the wife wants to be registered as married.

The changing process if living abroad can be too complicated. That's the reason why Latino-British couples living in the UK (or elsewhere) usually keep these things as they are after marriage.

mark2019
United Kingdom

Post by mark2019 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Thank you all for you input

You are correct the it is mandatory for my wife to have the “de my surname” on her passport.

That being said, will the Uk authorities take a pragmatic approach and allow it the UK way with just my surname? Or will they only mirror the Peruvian?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:09 am

mark2019 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:15 pm
You are correct the it is mandatory for my wife to have the “de my surname” on her passport.
Opting to include your surname in her passport as ‘de (your surname)’ likely requires updating her DNI first.

Check with HMPO, preferably in writing, on how they will handle this cultural naming convention. Also ponder on how this may affect any of her other documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.