ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tiger77
United Kingdom

Tax Self assessment

Post by Tiger77 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:31 am

Hello
I’m currently on ilr and want to apply for BC. I was self employed between April 2023 and April 2024 tax year and I’m due to file my tax return by January 2025.
How should I go about submitting my bc application in this case considering I’m intending to file my tax return around December this year which is way after submitting the application?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Tax Self assessment

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:16 am

Tiger77 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:31 am
Hello
I’m currently on ilr and want to apply for BC. I was self employed between April 2023 and April 2024 tax year and I’m due to file my tax return by January 2025.
How should I go about submitting my bc application in this case considering I’m intending to file my tax return around December this year which is way after submitting the application?
There's no income requirement for naturalisation application.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:47 am

You don't need tax return for naturalisation as such, but if you want to attach it, nothing stops you from submitting tax return now. No need to wait until December.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:51 am

There is no income requirement but the tax return is needed to prove you were resident this year. I suggest you submit your tax return now and attach it. It is a requested document, along with your latest SA302, if you declare you are self-employed.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Tiger77
United Kingdom

Post by Tiger77 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:18 pm

I understand but I declare I was self employed between April 2023 and April 2024 and mention in a cover letter that I cannot provide my tax return as it’s not due till January 2025 . Would that be ok ? Only reason I wanted to delay it as it will take time for the accountant to prepare my accounts and prefer not to rush filing my return especially that I don’t need to do it till January 2025

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:28 pm

No, you are better off to submit it now. That is exactly what I had to do last year (I applied in May).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:14 am

Tiger77 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:18 pm
I understand but I declare I was self employed between April 2023 and April 2024 and mention in a cover letter that I cannot provide my tax return as it’s not due till January 2025 . Would that be ok ? Only reason I wanted to delay it as it will take time for the accountant to prepare my accounts and prefer not to rush filing my return especially that I don’t need to do it till January 2025
If it is not required or of no relevance to the application how does it become a reason for you to delay the application?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:32 am

It is required to submit the most recent full tax return and SA302 when self employed. Not optional.

Tiger77
United Kingdom

Post by Tiger77 » Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:56 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:32 am
It is required to submit the most recent full tax return and SA302 when self employed. Not optional.
I understand and that’s why I raised the question as I don’t understand how they would ask for something that hmrc clearly show it’s not due till January 2025.

Would it be ok to write a cover letter to explain the situation and stress that I cannot include the tax return as it’s not due yet ?

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:16 pm

Tiger77 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:56 am
contorted_svy wrote:
I understand and that’s why I raised the question as I don’t understand how they would ask for something that hmrc clearly show it’s not due till January 2025.

Would it be ok to write a cover letter to explain the situation and stress that I cannot include the tax return as it’s not due yet ?
If you want your case to be examined under the microscope and potentially risking Home Office tipping off HMRC that something with you is suspicious, then nothing stops you from submitting a cover letter instead of a tax return. If it was me, I would either accelerate my tax return submission (although I always submit it in May anyway), or delay naturalisation application until January 2025.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:49 pm

Tiger77 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:56 am
contorted_svy wrote:

I understand it is not due yet, but you are able.to fill it in already as the tax year is over. I suggest you fill it in and attach it to your application, of course you are also free to do as you please and try your luck. I filled in mine last year and applied in May and I was successful. What you do with your application and the £1500+ related fees is up to you.

Tiger77
United Kingdom

British Citizenship application

Post by Tiger77 » Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:36 pm

Hello all

I’m eligible to apply for British citizenship via spouse ( married to British citizen ) and via meeting the ILR+1 year requirement. Could someone advise which route is more favourable to use in my case ?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British Citizenship application

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:53 pm

You can use either - none is more favourable.
There are slightly different requirements:

If you apply as a spouse of a British citizen you have to have fewer absences than 270 in 3 years and the future intentions requirement does not apply to you.
If you apply in your own right you have to have fewer absences than 540 in 5 years and the future intentions requirement applies to you.

LITUK test and English language are requirements for both of these, as well as the 90 days absence limit for the last 12 months before the application.

What works best for you will depend on your individual situation, but neither route is preferential or safer. The only thing that matters is that you respect all relevant requirements.