ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply from within UK for spouse visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

orojim
United Kingdom

Apply from within UK for spouse visa?

Post by orojim » Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:36 pm

I am unclear on whether or not my wife can apply for her spouse visa from inside the UK. I am a British citizen (also US.) She is a US citizen. We live in Portugal. We are long married and can meet the current financial requirement.

The regulations suggest that a tourist or short-term (6 months or less) visa cannot be upgraded by applying from within the UK. I have seen suggestions elsewhere that it is permitted. Any thoughts and/or experience here would be most welcome.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply from within UK for spouse visa?

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:55 pm

She cannot apply for a spouse visa while in the uk as a visitor.

Apply from abroad as you were previously advised in 2020. Nothing has changed in the rules.

viewtopic.php?p=1912451#p1912451
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Apply from within UK for spouse visa?

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:44 pm

orojim wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:36 pm
We live in Portugal. We are long married and can meet the current financial requirement.
Are you aware that the minimum income level has recently been increased from £18.600 to £29,000 pa :?:
Also note that a couple with no relevant UK earnings who are looking to meet the threshold entirely through savings now need a lump sum of £88,500, which has been held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months (unless the funds are from the sale of property).

The first £16,000 in savings will be discounted towards the £88,500 minimum amount. i.e You will require £104,500 if you are relying on savings alone.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.