ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU ID card instead of passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

joujou
Newly Registered
France

EU ID card instead of passport

Post by joujou » Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:18 am

I obtained british citizenship.

The british passport application is asking me for passports from other nationalities.

I have an EU citizenship, and its ID card. It is what I use to enter this country and what is registered with the home office for the purpose of settled status.

I have an expired passport from the EU nation.

Will the HMPO accept the expired passport?

Do they need the ID card?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EU ID card instead of passport

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:34 am

joujou wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:18 am
I obtained british citizenship.

The british passport application is asking me for passports from other nationalities.

I have an EU citizenship, and its ID card. It is what I use to enter this country and what is registered with the home office for the purpose of settled status. Note that as a British citizen your prior settled status is no longer relevant.

I have an expired passport from the EU nation.

Will the HMPO accept the expired passport? Yes

Do they need the ID card? No
Note the foreign passport is checked to see that your name is the same on all documents - it's not a condition for obtaining a British passport - people do lose documents. Original documents are also examined to ensure they are not counterfeit!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

joujou
Newly Registered
France

Post by joujou » Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:51 am

Well amongst the documents that HMPO is asking me to send is "the passport i used to enter the country". I used my ID card which is why I'm asking whether i should send it.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:55 am

OK - I think a copy of the ID card would be sufficient (if that's your only French ID document).
In my own experience, when I applied for my passport about 8 years ago I only sent my current passport - I didn't read the instructions carefully (and they were the same then)! Not an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:37 pm

I would send in both - no harm if it is not needed, and it saves you a headache in case they did need it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.