ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Recession possibly upto 2011 !!.. Looking for motivation.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

QEF8DD

UK Recession possibly upto 2011 !!.. Looking for motivation.

Post by QEF8DD » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am

I read the below articles yesterday.Being just a few steps/days away from my tier1 application, these made me think (again) over my decision to make UK my work country for the next few years. Am looking for some sane advice.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Opi ... 935297.cms

- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 25805.html

The articles cover recession and other topics as well. I look forward to comments on a purely professional/career related front(The slippage in the competitiveness rankings and companies fleeing UK worries me but not the issue on trains not running on boxing day, which I am least bothered by:).. anyways the columnist is being a little too critical as well). Am not for or against any particular country and would like this post to be seen as a blog with people putting in their viewpoints (preferably positive as we all know that the times are pretty bad). It is quite depressing when you don't have enough people to dicuss your worries face-to-face.. hence this post!

I must add that I have either friends or relatives in Australia/Dubai/Abudhabi/Qatar and U.S. as well but still have this thing for U.K. (mainly because I was in London for more than a year and can get there on my own without asking for help from people I know of).. but every new day the news gets worse.. No jobs, almost no difference between Euro & Pound, long recession etc etc.. Words of encouragement anyone ???

saga_vishal
Newly Registered

Post by saga_vishal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:46 am

whats wrong or depressing in the article.

Crib crib crib and you will always crib. job recession is rarely mentioned in the article.

dont forget dude they are going to host olympics soon, huge funding waiting both private and govt and remember they are not very immigrant friendly like aus or canada

better try there then

sri_sunny

Post by sri_sunny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 pm

The situation is definately serious particularly for students and first time goers where hard jobs are initial source of income. Recession is a bell graph and by the market dynamics, it would reach its peak in the next 3 months and start to ease out thereafter, in my opinion. As other seniors suggested, if u r in a job now in ur home country, it would be prudent to defer ur journey atleast till such time the conditions improve and hold back to ur current job.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 pm

saga_vishal wrote:whats wrong or depressing in the article.

Crib crib crib and you will always crib. job recession is rarely mentioned in the article.

dont forget dude they are going to host olympics soon, huge funding waiting both private and govt and remember they are not very immigrant friendly like aus or canada

better try there then
See.. that is why I mentioned I am looking towards "sane comments" in my post..heehee just kidding.. it is mentioned that Japanese, Americans, Australians, Swiss, and even Italians are leaving UK in droves, so this would add to the recession or contribute to it right ?? Being super-confident or totally ignorant isn't going to help anyone.Anyways, I think it is just a matter of perception.. whether one decides to think positively or take such articles seriously..

You might be right about the Olympics thingy.. have sent you a PM.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm

sri_sunny wrote:The situation is definately serious particularly for students and first time goers where hard jobs are initial source of income. Recession is a bell graph and by the market dynamics, it would reach its peak in the next 3 months and start to ease out thereafter, in my opinion. As other seniors suggested, if u r in a job now in ur home country, it would be prudent to defer ur journey atleast till such time the conditions improve and hold back to ur current job.
To sri_sunny :
I have 7+ years of industry experience in a niche Software area so I don't think getting a job will be difficult for me. However, it is not just 'ANY' job in XYZ comany that I am after. I have pretty high targets and ambition and therein lies the problem. I have focussed and spent so much time studying UK, its job market and other things that I am totally ignorant towards other countries which just might be better in terms of career opportunities. Of course, it is totally upto me to 'take it' or 'leave it'. Just wanted to know what the forum dudes have to say !!

Thanks for your response !!

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:47 pm

The job market in UK is almost dead at the moment. With the news of plausible recession hitting the headlines every day, it is not helping either.

Even if you do get a job with you niche skill sets and experience, there will be no job security with more and more companies cutting headcounts and going into administration by each day.

In my opinion if you are into a settled well-paid job wherever you are, it will make more sense to stick with it at the moment.

How long will this downturn in UK economy and it's impact on UK jobs last, is anyones guess !

saga_vishal
Newly Registered

Post by saga_vishal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:29 am

well i said that because i dont think that whatever is written in there is very depressing lol.

i may not be as smart as you are but i just use some common sense. nobody is telling you to leave your your well paying job and just rush just because you have a visa but there are a lot of sectors that are pretty lucrative there

one of my friends just landed in a govt job in royal mail lol. Legal services are preety ok so in web and internet marketing services infact this sector has seen a growth of 15% last year.

all you can say is that your skills may not be in demand or u r some heard of IT guys leaving in droves lol.

That economy is 3rd largest in the world. there is problem everywhere.

Plan your move and then go

sri_sunny

Post by sri_sunny » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:03 am

To sri_sunny :
I have 7+ years of industry experience in a niche Software area so I don't think getting a job will be difficult for me. However, it is not just 'ANY' job in XYZ comany that I am after. I have pretty high targets and ambition and therein lies the problem. I have focussed and spent so much time studying UK, its job market and other things that I am totally ignorant towards other countries which just might be better in terms of career opportunities. Of course, it is totally upto me to 'take it' or 'leave it'. Just wanted to know what the forum dudes have to say !!

Thanks for your response !!
Honestly speaking, I perceived your thread as if you were concerned about the job market. I intended giving a fair idea about what I had read and understood. I am still surprised with the kind of confidence you have in you and the concern- two extremes!!!! One end you wanted positive motivation and at the other end you seem to be extremely confident....
Well, I think I have extremely saleable skill in the market with good years of experience, however with the kind of situation prevailing out there , I would be extremely cautious in asking if this is the right time to hold on to my 'aspirations' & 'ambitions', given the fact that the market is bleeding out there... I am MORE THAN HAPPY if I ever get a job in the first place.

All the best!!!!!

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am

Well.. I am confident but not overly so..confident yet cautious would be the correct term. Am not looking for answers as there are none at the moment with anyone. Just wanted the opinion from people who are in the same position as me, what is going through their minds etc.. and I have got the replies now. Thank you !!