ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian passport surrender + renunciation of indian citizenship + OCI together, possible?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

honestguy2020
India

Indian passport surrender + renunciation of indian citizenship + OCI together, possible?

Post by honestguy2020 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:48 pm

Hi,

I have been reading about how people have booked the surrender passport & renunciation citizenship appointments on the same day at VFS Goswell.

Question - As we only need renunciation payment proof to apply for OCI. Can I not book OCI appointment on the same day too?

i.e.
'I can book surrender passport appointment with my current Indian passport.
Can book renunciation appointment with my british passport.
Can book oci appointment with my expired Indian passport.'
(As VFS unique reference for booking appointments is just passport number.)

What are your thoughts? (I really want to avoid traveling to London multiple times)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

honestguy2020
India

Re: Indian passport surrender + renunciation of indian citizenship + OCI together, possible?

Post by honestguy2020 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:38 pm

Any feedback from anyone?

travelagain1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Indian passport surrender + renunciation of indian citizenship + OCI together, possible?

Post by travelagain1 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:42 pm

It would have been great if this was possible. Unfortunately you will require your surrender certificate at the time of applying for OCI. I tried to go for an OCI appointment but they sent me back saying they need the surrender certificate original for the OCI application.

Yes renunciation receipt is fine but you will need the surrender certificate to arrive by post. It can take upto 3-4 weeks as per recent experience...

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:42 pm

travelagain1 wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:42 pm
It would have been great if this was possible. Unfortunately you will require your surrender certificate at the time of applying for OCI. I tried to go for an OCI appointment but they sent me back saying they need the surrender certificate original for the OCI application.

Yes renunciation receipt is fine but you will need the surrender certificate to arrive by post. It can take upto 3-4 weeks as per recent experience...
Aah, thanks for your response.

I'll anyway try to book 3 appointments on the same day. I'll see what they say, otherwise anyway I have to come back for OCI 😊

thisisausername
Newly Registered
India

Post by thisisausername » Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:23 am

honestguy2020 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:42 pm

I'll anyway try to book 3 appointments on the same day. I'll see what they say, otherwise anyway I have to come back for OCI 😊
So what did they say?

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:50 am

thisisausername wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:23 am
honestguy2020 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:42 pm

So what did they say?
You can do surrender & renunciation on the same day.

For OCI you defo need your surrender passport cert, as it needs to be uploaded online when you submit your OCI application.

rajesh_2j
Newly Registered
India

Post by rajesh_2j » Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:04 pm

hello, did you need to book 2 separate appointments to surrender and renounce on the same day? Or can I just reserve a slot for renouncement and submit both application during that slot?

how long it took for you to receive surrender certificate? I haven't seen an option to upload surrender certificate during OCI application submission online, not sure if I messed up something..

alog1
Mood:
India

Post by alog1 » Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:01 pm

Renunciation process was withdrawn by HCI since 5th Monday , Aug 2024, As per VFS Goswell road.

Few people including myself were in the VFS Goswell road this morning for Passport Surrender and renunciation, different appointments same day. We all were told not to wait for renunciation appointment after the passport surrender appointment.

Zrl100
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zrl100 » Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:40 pm

Hi alog1,
Did you pay for the renunciation application online in advance? I'm confused, so do you still have to complete the renunciation process/application online & pay but no longer need to wait for it to apply for OCI?
Or the Renunciation process is no longer a step
& has been eliminated completely after surrender application? And one goes straight to apply for oci after surrender? Does this mean that the Indian embassy/govt/website/vfs have all not been updated completely to clarify this change?
Thanks!

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:28 am

Zrl100 wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:40 pm
Hi alog1,
Did you pay for the renunciation application online in advance? I'm confused, so do you still have to complete the renunciation process/application online & pay but no longer need to wait for it to apply for OCI?
& has been eliminated completely after surrender application? And one goes straight to apply for oci after surrender? Does this mean that the Indian embassy/govt/website/vfs have all not been updated completely to clarify this change?
Thanks!
Renunciation process is no longer a step. Renunciation process has been withdrawn

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:20 pm

sathyauk wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:28 am
Hi alog1,
Thanks!
Renunciation process is no longer a step. Renunciation process has been withdrawn
It has not been withdrawn, but it is simply no longer a mandatory step in the OCI application process since August 05, 2024. Of course, out of one's own volition, an applicant may choose to do renounce Indian citizenship separate to and independent of the OCI application itself.

alog1
Mood:
India

Post by alog1 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:33 pm

Hi alog1,
Thanks!
No need to fill renunciation form anymore. Once after passport surrender you can go ahead with the OCI

alog1
Mood:
India

Post by alog1 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:42 pm

anonvtic wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:20 pm
sathyauk wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:28 am
Hi alog1,
Thanks!
It has not been withdrawn, but it is simply no longer a mandatory step in the OCI application process since August 05, 2024. Of course, out of one's own volition, an applicant may choose to do renounce Indian citizenship separate to and independent of the OCI application itself.

If you attain foreign citizenship by naturalisation/ acquiring passport, the applicant loses the Indian citizenship immediately.
Hence ineligible to apply for renunciation of citizenship.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/

As I have already filled the form and paid online by the time I was informed not to proceed, I did inquire the VFS staffs if they still can process my application in my existing appointment. They mentioned they can collect the documents but the application will not be processed by HCI and will get stuck with HCI without any update.

tamo_146

Post by tamo_146 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:44 am

alog1 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:33 pm
Hi alog1,
Thanks!
No need to fill renunciation form anymore. Once after passport surrender you can go ahead with the OCI
Hi, How do I get a refund for the fees (INR 8,000) already paid towards the Renunciation Certificate before the rule change? I have been advised by London - VFS, Goswell to reach out to the High Commission of India, London, UK @inf.london@mea.gov.in to check about any refund for the fees already paid towards obtaining the Renunciation Certificate. I have sent an email and am awaiting a response. I visited London - VFS, Goswell yesterday for my Renunciation and OCI application. I was told Renunciation is no longer required so I only submitted the OCI application and came back. Not sure if I will get the fees refunded.

Joshinhosh2000
Newly Registered
India

Post by Joshinhosh2000 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Hey,

I have an appt at VFS Goswell this tuesday, but I have paid for the renunciation :( (never Mind, will check how to recover that money). But, then I am assuming I can get both appointment done at the same time ? As I booked 2 appt on the same day.. Do they keep the Indian passport or they return it ?

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:32 pm

Joshinhosh2000 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:49 pm
Hey,

I have an appt at VFS Goswell this tuesday, but I have paid for the renunciation :( (never Mind, will check how to recover that money). But, then I am assuming I can get both appointment done at the same time ? As I booked 2 appt on the same day.. Do they keep the Indian passport or they return it ?They dont keep any original documents, It will be returned back once they verified the documents

udayakumarg
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by udayakumarg » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:15 pm

Thu Aug 08, 2024 5:01 pm
Renunciation process was withdrawn by HCI since 5th Monday , Aug 2024, As per VFS Goswell road.

Few people including myself were in the VFS Goswell road this morning for Passport Surrender and renunciation, different appointments same day. We all were told not to wait for renunciation appointment after the passport surrender appointment.
Hello,

I am in the process of surrendering my passport and my children's passport. I was reading through various threads but was confused because of the information conflict. You mentioned that this process was withdrawn. Do we still need to fill out the reunification form and pay for it? Do we need to go to HCI London for reunification or can I book one appointment with VFS Goswell or Hounslow for both passport surrender and reunification? your reply is much appreciated.

sidtanulondon
Newly Registered
India

Post by sidtanulondon » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:04 pm

Hi

I am getting a bit confused myself with various threads on RC process. If the process is suspended, are we still to fill the online form and include in surrender application?

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:23 am

sidtanulondon wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:04 pm
Hi

I am getting a bit confused myself with various threads on RC process. If the process is suspended, are we still to fill the online form and include in surrender application?
No need to fill RC form and the step is not needed to apply for OCI

tamo_146

Post by tamo_146 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:33 pm

tamo_146 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:44 am
Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:33 pm
Hi alog1,
Thanks!
Hi, How do I get a refund for the fees (INR 8,000) already paid towards the Renunciation Certificate before the rule change? I have been advised by London - VFS, Goswell to reach out to the High Commission of India, London, UK @inf.london@mea.gov.in to check about any refund for the fees already paid towards obtaining the Renunciation Certificate. I have sent an email and am awaiting a response. I visited London - VFS, Goswell yesterday for my Renunciation and OCI application. I was told Renunciation is no longer required so I only submitted the OCI application and came back. Not sure if I will get the fees refunded.
Any suggestions on how to get the refund?

tamo_146

Post by tamo_146 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:34 pm

Hey,

I have an appt at VFS Goswell this tuesday, but I have paid for the renunciation :( (never Mind, will check how to recover that money). But, then I am assuming I can get both appointment done at the same time ? As I booked 2 appt on the same day.. Do they keep the Indian passport or they return it ?
How to get the refund? Any suggestions?

tamo_146

Post by tamo_146 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:26 pm

tamo_146 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:34 pm
Hey,

How to get the refund? Any suggestions?
Any suggestions on my query? How to get the refund of Rs 8,000 paid towards the renunciation certificate that is no more required? I dod not apply for the certificate after paying the fees.