ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pearson PTE Home B1 test - general question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Should a EU national wait until their non-EU spouse get citizenship?

Post by isidore91 » Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:25 pm

hi

i'm a french national husband, eea settled status for more than 10 years
My wife, pakistani, has a BRC british residence car from 2023 until december 2024, based on EU scheme settlement, living in the UK for 6 years now

now that she's meeting the requirements (6 years in the UK), what are your recommendations for citizenship?
1) Get wife citizenship first, only then apply for my citizenship?
1a) if yes, then i will apply as EU or as a spouse of british citizen?
2) apply together meaning at the same time so we both are under EU route when applying ?
2a) what happens if one of the application get refused?

My concerns :
she came as a spouse of EEA.
- if she get citizenship, do i apply as EU or as spouse of british citizen? i have been living for more than 10 years.
- if i get citizenship first (and she's refused), then does that make her a spouse of BC (instead of spouse of EA) and that would reset her to a 10years route from now ? (she has been living for 6 years in UK)

Could you please advise?
Thanks

ps: To speed up, i'm keen to apply together as i have been waiting for many years to keep it "simple" and avoid cases complications.
btw, will having a BRC or a settled status enough to prove we have been living for 5 years in the UK as that's how they delivered or will i have to again put lots of paperwork?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Should a EU national wait until their non-EU spouse get citizenship?

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:55 pm

isidore91 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:25 pm
hi

i'm a french national husband, eea settled status for more than 10 years
My wife, pakistani, has a BRC british residence car from 2023 until december 2024, based on EU scheme settlement, living in the UK for 6 years now

now that she's meeting the requirements (6 years in the UK), what are your recommendations for citizenship?
1) Get wife citizenship first, only then apply for my citizenship? You can apply together under Section 6(1) if you fullfil all requirements
1a) if yes, then i will apply as EU or as a spouse of british citizen? You can both apply at the same time
2) apply together meaning at the same time so we both are under EU route when applying ? Doesn't matter which route you were under for ILR, what matters is you hold ILR/settled status
2a) what happens if one of the application get refused? Nothing, the person who gets refused keeps their ILR status

My concerns :
she came as a spouse of EEA.
- if she get citizenship, do i apply as EU or as spouse of british citizen? i have been living for more than 10 years.
- if i get citizenship first (and she's refused), then does that make her a spouse of BC (instead of spouse of EA) and that would reset her to a 10years route from now ? (she has been living for 6 years in UK) This concern is irrelevant, citizenship and ILR are unrelated processes under different legislations and being refused for citizenship has no bearing on ILR status unless something serious comes up that would put how one got ILR in doubt

Could you please advise?
Thanks

ps: To speed up, i'm keen to apply together as i have been waiting for many years to keep it "simple" and avoid cases complications. You can apply at the same time but note that even if you submit together your applications will be processed on different timelines and by different caseworkers.
btw, will having a BRC or a settled status enough to prove we have been living for 5 years in the UK as that's how they delivered or will i have to again put lots of paperwork? If her passport got stamped every time she travelled that will be enough. If your passport doesn't get stamped you will need to send P60s or letters from employers.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Post by isidore91 » Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:56 pm

Hi,

thank you very much for having responded to the main concern.
would you have any information or link i can check about how to apply for 2 people together? i mean is it the same form or it's 2 applications that i'm posting on the same day?

I checked and my wife has settled status since 12 months, while i have it since 5 years.
i haven't started the forms yet but as the settled status required us to show proof of living in the UK for 5 years, will indicating "having a settled status" enough to show that we lived in the uk for 5 years?

by the way if one get citizenship before another one, what prevails, being "a spouse of EU citizen" or "spouse of British Citizen", i think we are british first, then we are european :)

Thanks again for your detailed answer.
Apologies for the "newbies" questions

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:52 pm

isidore91 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:56 pm
Hi,

thank you very much for having responded to the main concern.
would you have any information or link i can check about how to apply for 2 people together? i mean is it the same form or it's 2 applications that i'm posting on the same day? Just apply using the AN form on the gov.uk website. After you filled in the information for the first applicant it will ask you if you wish to add a second one.

I checked and my wife has settled status since 12 months, while i have it since 5 years.
i haven't started the forms yet but as the settled status required us to show proof of living in the UK for 5 years, will indicating "having a settled status" enough to show that we lived in the uk for 5 years? As I explained above you need to prove residence as that is a statutory requirement different from proving you have ILR (which you both acquired through EU settled status). This is done through a copy of the passport (if it gets stamped) or P60s/other letters if your passport does not get stamped.

by the way if one get citizenship before another one, what prevails, being "a spouse of EU citizen" or "spouse of British Citizen", i think we are british first, then we are european :) You can choose to apply under any route you qualify for, provided you meet all requirements. If one of you becomes British before the other one applies, that person becomes eligible to apply under both Section 6(1) and 6(2). Up to you which one you choose. As I explained before, for citizenship purposes it does not matter if one is a spouse of an EEA citizen or anything else that would have qualified them for ILR. Citizenship is a different matter altogether.

Thanks again for your detailed answer.
Apologies for the "newbies" questions
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Pearson PTE Home B1 test - general question

Post by isidore91 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:25 am

hi

Asking for your experience
-does pearson provide pen paper? or is it a digital whiteboard on screen to take notes at any time?
-with our accent or different wording used, is it an AI analysing the results, or is someone reviewing the text?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Pearson PTE Home B1 test - general question

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:38 am

isidore91 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:25 am
hi

Asking for your experience Have you asked Person?
-does pearson provide pen paper? or is it a digital whiteboard on screen to take notes at any time? B1 is a 10 minutes chat and listening test.
-with our accent or different wording used, is it an AI analysing the results, or is someone reviewing the text? It's a human chatting with you.

Thanks
Have you checked Trinity London website? https://www.trinitycollege.com/qualific ... gLDHvD_BwE
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

isidore91
Newly Registered
France

Post by isidore91 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:25 pm

hi

there are 4 different companies with different tests.
My nearest or suitable dates were Pearson where it's computer based
https://www.pearsonpte.com/selt-tests/pte-home-b1

Trinity college is with a human in central london.
there are 2 more companies, with another one being computer based

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:55 pm

I did it with Trinity College and there was an examiner on an iPad that I was talking to. SELT B1 tests are only speaking and listening, they don't test for reading and writing.