ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

home office invitation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

home office invitation

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:57 pm

hi,

apologies if this has been asked before.

my council sent me an email with a ceremony date last wednesday however i have not received any home office invitation/approval. i thought it may come this monday as ive seen on this forum this has happened before and the ho invitation tends to come the following monday however ive not received anything today?

my ceremony is on thursday (islington). im not sure why it hasn't come through - could it be the bank holiday delay? will i still be able to attend the ceremony without it? should i contact anyone or does it not matter as council have me in for a ceremony? have people not gotten one at all?

also will this be an issue in the long term for example when applying for passport and returning brp as home office have not officially given me approval therefore could decline? thank u

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: home office invitation

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:04 pm

Call the council tomorrow and ask. Other people have done this and it turned out ok, but better to ask.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:54 am

thank u

but i dont understand why i havent received anything yet? normally it should come the following monday.

is this a concern or am i overworrying? i just dont want any further problems down the line when apply for passport

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:56 am

lavenderhaze9349 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:54 am
thank u

but i dont understand why i havent received anything yet? normally it should come the following monday. That's not a rule! There have been cases where it took two or three weeks, one I think where the email came after the ceremony.

is this a concern or am i overworrying? Yesi just dont want any further problems down the line when apply for passport Nothing to do with the passport - you need to be British to get one.

NOTE: the council has your certificate already ...
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:03 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:56 am
lavenderhaze9349 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:54 am
thank u

but i dont understand why i havent received anything yet? normally it should come the following monday. That's not a rule! There have been cases where it took two or three weeks, one I think where the email came after the ceremony.

is this a concern or am i overworrying? Yesi just dont want any further problems down the line when apply for passport Nothing to do with the passport - you need to be British to get one.

NOTE: the council has your certificate already ...
thank u for ur response. it looks like mine would probably come after the ceremony though as it is this week and normally approvals come monday. i just worry as my ceremony is coming up very soon and i would have expected to receive something before

my mind is thinking what if i dont get anything from ho

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:06 am

Get in touch with the council. If nothing arrives go the ceremony with your Passport as ID - the registrar has a list of attendants based on the data they received from the Home Office.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:24 pm

thank u, apologies for my worry

can i still apply for british passport after ceremony if i havent received home office approval letter/email?
am i ok to send my brp back too after ceremony if i havent received the letter/email?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:34 pm

lavenderhaze9349 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:24 pm
thank u, apologies for my worry

can i still apply for british passport after ceremony if i havent received home office approval letter/email?
NOTE: the email from the Home Office is advisory only - it does not confer citizenship, when you receive it just file it away.
It's the certificate that is the only official document that confers citizenship, at the ceremony (which is a legal requirement) - when you receive it keep it secure (also keep copies).

am i ok to send my brp back too after ceremony if i havent received the letter/email?
YES - once you are British, after the ceremony(!) BRP is meaningless once you are British.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:19 pm

You will be OK once you have the certificate - just make sure to tell the council you haven't received the email ahead of Thursday and see what they say. No concern about passport whatsoever later on.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:21 pm

thank u both and apologies for my worries, i have been waiting so long for this therefore i want this to go correctly and smoothly. its just annoying that HO havent formally sent me anything.

council said as long as i bring ID im fine

so after the ceremony and i get my certificate, i can apply for passport without waiting for home office approval email as that is the official document right?

and then i have 5 working days from thursday when i get the certificate to return the brp?

apologies again, just wanting to clear everything as i just want to ensure this all goes right.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Correct yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lavenderhaze9349
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lavenderhaze9349 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:43 pm

much appreciated both, thank u so much