ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fee waiver question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elbuttano
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Fee waiver question

Post by elbuttano » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Hello,

To be eligible for a fee waiver one of the ways is to show that you cannot afford the fee (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark13)

My question is, if you successfully prove you don't have the funds to pay the fee, how does this affect the financial requirements (£18,6K - extending stay) that is then required during the visa application? I would have thought that many people who apply for the waiver are doing so because they have very low income. I wondered how these two things square up? To be eligible for a fee waiver and then be granted a visa extension how do you meet these 2 seemingly opposing requirements?

secret.simon

Re: Fee waiver question

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:46 pm

Fee waivers are available only for limited types of extension applications. A normal five-year spousal leave to remain extension would not qualify.
applications for leave to remain under the 5-year partner route from applicants who are not required to meet the minimum income threshold because their sponsor is in receipt of one or more specified benefits and who instead must demonstrate that their sponsor can provide adequate maintenance

applications for leave to remain under the 5-year parent route

applications for leave to remain under the new 5-year route being introduced under the Private Life Rules

applications for leave to remain under the 10-year partner, parent or private life route, where the applicant claims that refusal of that application for leave to remain would breach their rights (or the rights of other specified persons) under ECHR Article 8 (the right to respect for private and family life)

applications for leave to remain on the basis of other ECHR rights

applications for further leave to remain from applicants granted discretionary leave (DL) following refusal of asylum or humanitarian protection, where the applicant claims that refusal to grant further leave to remain would breach their ECHR rights

applications for further DL from victims of trafficking or slavery who have had a positive conclusive grounds decision from a competent authority of the national referral mechanism (NRM), have already accrued 30 months’ DL and are seeking to extend it for reasons related to trafficking or slavery
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Fee waiver question

Post by meself2 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:50 pm

elbuttano wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:05 pm
To be eligible for a fee waiver and then be granted a visa extension how do you meet these 2 seemingly opposing requirements?
If you're eligible for a fee wavier, you'd then be moved to 10 year route, as it'll be a different form then.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.