ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anyone successfully submitted a copy of their passport instead of the orginal?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Has anyone successfully submitted a copy of their passport instead of the orginal?

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:42 pm

I'll soon be applying for my first UK passport after gaining citizenship, but I don't want to send my EU passport because several of my family members are terminally ill, and I need to be able to travel in case of emergencies.

Has anyone successfully submitted an application using a colour photocopy of their passport?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Has anyone successfully submitted a copy of their passport instead of the orginal?

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:40 pm

for a first adult passport you have to send originals. no way around it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Has anyone successfully submitted a copy of their passport instead of the orginal?

Post by meself2 » Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:43 pm

If OP still can show their settled status, they can travel on their EU national ID in Europe I suppose?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:29 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:40 pm
for a first adult passport you have to send originals. no way around it.
I asked HMPO, and they told me I could try sending a photocopy along with a covering letter explaining my reasons, but they couldn't guarantee that it would be accepted.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:31 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:43 pm
If OP still can show their settled status, they can travel on their EU national ID in Europe I suppose?
I recently gained citizenship, so my settled status is no longer valid.

Anonbha
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Anonbha » Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:53 pm

Settled status valid or not, don't you need a passport now anyway to go through the border and return back to the UK?

I enquired and original passport is a must. There is no alternative while applying for first passport within the UK. There is also no premium service available for first passport (also enquired).

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:09 pm

Anonbha wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:53 pm
Settled status valid or not, don't you need a passport now anyway to go through the border and return back to the UK?

I enquired and original passport is a must. There is no alternative while applying for first passport within the UK. There is also no premium service available for first passport (also enquired).
Indeed, that's why I don't want to be without my passport. Did you inquire with HMPO about sending a photocopy? I’m curious why they would advise me to try it if it's not accepted.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:20 pm

timeavailable wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:09 pm
I’m curious why they would advise me to try it if it's not accepted.
how did you contact them?

Be aware that most public-facing contact centres for the Home Office are outsourced to third parties and not actual Home Office employees. They would likely give answers that would give a lot of leeway for mis- and reinterpretation.

You may want tor route your question to HMPO via your MP.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:35 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:20 pm
timeavailable wrote:
I’m curious why they would advise me to try it if it's not accepted.
how did you contact them?

Be aware that most public-facing contact centres for the Home Office are outsourced to third parties and not actual Home Office employees. They would likely give answers that would give a lot of leeway for mis- and reinterpretation.

You may want tor route your question to HMPO via your MP.
I asked them via email.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:43 pm

timeavailable wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:35 pm
I asked them via email.
Can you share the email address you used?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:04 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:43 pm
timeavailable wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:35 pm
I asked them via email.
Can you share the email address you used?
Actually, I contacted them through their online enquiry form, and they responded to me via email.

Anonbha
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Anonbha » Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:12 pm

timeavailable wrote:
Anonbha wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:53 pm

Indeed, that's why I don't want to be without my passport. Did you inquire with HMPO about sending a photocopy? I’m curious why they would advise me to try it if it's not accepted.
No idea why they advised you otherwise.
I just called them. Call them as soon as the lines open, otherwise might take forever.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:15 am

Notoriously these advise lines are not run by UKVI, often the people handling the calls aren't experts and give incorrect advice. Ask to speak to a senior caseworker if you choose to call.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:33 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:15 am
Notoriously these advise lines are not run by UKVI, often the people handling the calls aren't experts and give incorrect advice. Ask to speak to a senior caseworker if you choose to call.
Thanks for letting me know. Do you know if their email support is outsourced too?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:24 am

From my knowledge it's quite hard to get a timely reply. As annoying and hard to process in a stressful situation as it is, best thing to do is to apply and wait for passports to be delivered, their processing times are 3 weeks but loads of people get everything back a lot quicker. I was in a similar situation when I became a citizen last year, with a family member undergoing major life saving surgery just 2 weeks after - I submitted my passport application the day I became a citizen and got everything in 8-9 days.

timeavailable
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by timeavailable » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:33 pm

Update: I sent a colour photocopy of my passport along with a covering letter and my naturalisation certificate, and my application has been approved by the passport office.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:06 pm

Congratulations. this will be a useful case study for other members.