ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kzz
Ireland

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by kzz » Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:29 pm

@KyukChick The instruction says "If submitting multiple applications, please enter each application number in this box" on the cover page. May I ask do I still need to fill in the application number on the cover page, if I just submit a single application for myself ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:24 pm

kzz wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:29 pm
@KyukChick The instruction says "If submitting multiple applications, please enter each application number in this box" on the cover page. May I ask do I still need to fill in the application number on the cover page, if I just submit a single application for myself ?
AFAIK it already has your number on the cover page? If it does, you should be fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kzz
Ireland

Post by kzz » Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:36 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:24 pm
kzz wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:29 pm
AFAIK it already has your number on the cover page? If it does, you should be fine.
Thanks, yeah it already has the number. The instruction made me hesitate.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:55 am

Does anyone happen to know whether, if they require additional documentation, they email you? Or are you expected to keep checking your status to see whether there are any messages?
Thanks in advance.

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:34 pm

Hello, can someone let me know how will I submit additional document if being requested?
Will there be another cover page with postage label to use or I can still use the same postage label?

Thank you.

Pct85
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pct85 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:30 pm

gusssy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:39 pm
Pct85 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:06 am
Hi everyone
Did anyone aske Department to return their travel document after Ceremony for the purposes of Irish passport application.
One of the required documents to apply for Irish passport was
Your original passport or Irish travel document.
So since I have no original passport I was thinking to request Department to send back my travel document.
I wonder if any one has done this before ?.
Regards
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to yours where I sent back my Travel Document and its the only passport document I had, I sent out an email to the citizenship office but knowing them, I'm not expecting a response any time soon. Any updates on this? how did you overcome this issue?
Hey man ,sorry for late reply. The department has not sent back my travel document.i have sent the travel document copy along with my national ID card for passport application and it is still in process.plz let me know if any updates from your side.i ll keep you posted
Thx

Pct85
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pct85 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:11 am

Helen1964 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:50 pm
Anyone thinking of sending a certified photocopy of the naturalisation certificate, rather than the original?
We’ve waited so long for this document I’m reluctant to let it out of my sight.
I am just going to chip in my opinion. I agree other people saying that we must send original certificate but also on cover page and in the email the passport services exclusively mentioned what documentation they need in original (passport,Birth certificate,ID card ) and what other documents they accept in certified copies such as (citizenship certificate).
The mention "we accept colour certified copies of naturalisation certificate).
Why would the mention if they are going to ask for it in the middle.
I have sent certified copy of my certificate but in the end it's a personal choice and basically up to the checker if they decided to ask for original or not .

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:52 pm

Pct85 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:11 am
Why would the mention if they are going to ask for it in the middle.
They had issues with verifying copies (as they stated), so it was a request for an original either way.
Not sure if they fixed that or not.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Pct85
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pct85 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Hopefully,

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:18 pm

You're right, of course, about them saying they will accept a certified copy of the naturalisation certificate.
But given that people seem to have been asked in the past to send in the original halfway through the process, I thought I would just avoid that risk and send the original in the first place.

In any case, I think I have messed up in another way. In my anxiousness to emphasise that I wanted the birth certificate, passport and naturalisation certificate to be returned, I listed them as "original" in a cover note which I sent with my supporting documents.
Which probably means of course that the officer looking at them will think the other supporting documents are not originals. When in fact they are. I could kick myself.

According to the French postal service tracking system, my supporting documents arrived on Friday. But I assume the envelope hasn't been opened yet, as my status still indicates that they are awaiting my supporting documents.

The requirement for the witness to be sitting at a desk, with a work landline at the ready, strikes me as quaintly old-fashioned in this day and age.

rovertom
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by rovertom » Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:04 pm

I reached out to DFA about my application which on portal says estimated completion time 10th September.

I’m told that no one has even started looking at it.

Submission date: 9th august

Either they are super efficient that they didn’t do anything since 9th and will complete everything in next 10 days or they don’t really care!

pedo-cevorf-a-minno
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pedo-cevorf-a-minno » Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:07 pm

rovertom wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:04 pm

they are super efficient ... and will complete everything in next 10 days
IMHO this is the case. Or to be precise, my guess is that it won't even take that long -- 5 days or 3 days may be enough really.
Let's say if some applicant has a genuine family emergency, it would have been really fast for the case to be fulfilled.
that they didn’t do anything since 9th
Well, kind of. Again this is purely my guess and I've got no source or proof: they did not do anything on **your** case (or mine.. doesn't matter) because they are at the same time busy handling other cases. Applicants before you, like those who posted on 29th July.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:09 pm

pedo-cevorf-a-minno wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:07 pm
Let's say if some applicant has a genuine family emergency, it would have been really fast for the case to be fulfilled.
In that case its best to go for same-day/express passport service (which isn't possible for first time applicants)

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:32 pm

I see my status has now changed and I have an estimated issue date of 26 September.
Will keep you all posted.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:06 pm

I was advised on the chat that the officers don't look at the case until the last week. I applied on 9th Aug and my status moved from verifying docs to processing application now. I hope they accept the docs I sent and process the passport on time. So done with all this!!!

ronick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ronick » Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:24 pm

Hi,
I've noticed that few people mentioned that they've sent original documents for everything.
In the document list it is mentioned that certified copy of driving license could be used as second proof of ID. Did anyone use this? It would be quite inconvenient to be without driving license for a couple of months.
Also as a proof of address can I use something like Employment Detail Summary from Revenue? I should print it myself, however, since most of documents nowadays are electronic, not so many physical letters. Same for utility bills or bank statements - I can just print pdf versions. Does anyone know if that will be accepted?

kzz
Ireland

Post by kzz » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:30 pm

ronick wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:24 pm
Hi,
I've noticed that few people mentioned that they've sent original documents for everything.
In the document list it is mentioned that certified copy of driving license could be used as second proof of ID. Did anyone use this? It would be quite inconvenient to be without driving license for a couple of months.
Also as a proof of address can I use something like Employment Detail Summary from Revenue? I should print it myself, however, since most of documents nowadays are electronic, not so many physical letters. Same for utility bills or bank statements - I can just print pdf versions. Does anyone know if that will be accepted?
I didn't use driving license, I used a photocopy of pps card as second proof of ID.

For the proof of address/name I've asked the web agent once if I can use Employment Detail Summary that I downloaded from Revenue, they told me that's fine. I hope they will stick to their words ! But to be on the safe side, on top of the Employment details summary, I also provided one ORIGINAL bank statement and one ORIGINAL credit card statement (from different banks). For PTSB bank (where I got my bank statement) you can order statement online (listing all the transactions from your last statement until current day or previous day) and they would send you the original statement within a week.

Blitz23
Newly Registered
Palestine

Post by Blitz23 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:05 pm

My status:

Application received: 15/08/2024
Estimated issue date: 12/09/2024

15/08/2024 and currently: Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
14/08/2024: Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

Documents sent:

Originals of:

• Identity verification form
• Passport (Non-EU passport)
• Naturalisation Certificate
• Driving Licence (I kept a copy of it in my phone incase get stopped by guards)
• Public Service Card (never had any use for it so didn't mind sending in the original)
• Birth Certificate

Copies of:
• Bank Statement
• Letter from Department of Social Protection
• Letter from The Revenue Service

I know i sent them more than they asked for but had to make sure that i get the passport on time, it took me 2 years to get the Naturalisation certificate and I have to travel to UK in October.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:31 am

Blitz23, can you keep us updated on your application? I submitted mine just after you (albeit with fewer documents - we’re in France and didn’t have the nerve to leave ourselves with zero ID!). My husband has been given an estimated issue date in late September but I’m not expecting anything until well into October. Best of luck everyone.

ronick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ronick » Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:25 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:18 pm
I listed them as "original" in a cover note which I sent with my supporting documents.
Did you write this cover note as plain text on additional piece of paper? Or is there any place to list original documents to be returned somewhere?

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:17 am

Yes, I wrote the cover note on an extra sheet of plain paper.
Like an idiot, I put “original” in brackets beside the passport, naturalisation certificate and birth certificate. I should of course have said “I would be grateful if you could return X, Y and Z”.

I wrote this cover letter just as a precaution - am pretty sure they would return all the supporting documents (or at least the ones that matter) in any case.

ronick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ronick » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:57 pm

For the bank statement, should it be full and how recent?
My recent one covers lots of transaction and for 10 months of something, so there are a lot of pages. I wonder should I send them all, or I can send just few of them cause each page has my name and address.
I also have another statement from April which has less pages. But not sure if it will be considered as too old.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:07 pm

I would send the most recent statement.
Logically, the first couple of pages should be enough. But to avoid any risk of them rejecting it, wny not just send the lot.

ronick
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ronick » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:09 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:07 pm
I would send the most recent statement.
Logically, the first couple of pages should be enough. But to avoid any risk of them rejecting it, wny not just send the lot.
Yeah, thinking to send in full after all just not to risk it.

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:14 am

My status:
Application received: 22/08/2024
Estimated issue date: 23/09/2024

Currently: Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

Documents sent:
Originals of:
• Application Cover Page
• Identity Verification Form
• Passport (Non-EU passport)
• Naturalisation Certificate
• Birth Certificate
• Letter from Department of Social Protection
• Electricity Bill
Copies of:
• Public Service Card (front and back)

If the information from another poster is true then I don't expect them to actually start processing until three weeks have passed i.e. after 13/9/2024.

I tried to track the documents I sent in using the An Post tracking number but this just returns "We haven't scanned your parcel". Fortunately the Passport Office have confirmed receipt as shown above.