ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Socorro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation and Passport

Post by Socorro » Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Hi All,

I have recently applied for Naturalisation on 7th Aug 2024 (did biometric on 7th)

Question:

I am planning to travel abroad and may not be back for 7 months which would be till April / May 2025

What could happen, do they intimate over the email on successfull application?

What I should be aware of? if the application was approved, what they do?

I see that they send a post on ceremony and all that, and I dont want miss the communication between Home Office and selected Council?

What would happen nex - am not expecting anything another 2/3 monts upto 6 months - but I am leaving the UK in October. what should I be doing?

Thanks in advance all!

Many Thanks,
Scoo

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation and Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Socorro wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:54 pm
Hi All,

I have recently applied for Naturalisation on 7th Aug 2024 (did biometric on 7th)

Question:

I am planning to travel abroad and may not be back for 7 months which would be till April / May 2025

What could happen, do they intimate over the email on successfull application?
You will receive an email advising you whether your applicaion has been approved (or not). The email is advisory, i.e. you are not British until you have attended the ceremony. And you need to be in the UK to attend the ceremony at your council.
What I should be aware of? if the application was approved, what they do?
Once the council receives your certificate they will be able to book you in for the ceremony.
I see that they send a post on ceremony and all that, and I dont want miss the communication between Home Office and selected Council?
Check your email inbox as well as spam folders to make sure you have received it. Also, have someone in the UK check your Post Office mail just in case the council sends something that way.

What would happen nex - am not expecting anything another 2/3 monts upto 6 months - but I am leaving the UK in October. what should I be doing?
Consider delaying your travels until this is sorted? Unless you get the approval & ceremony much earlier than expected.

Thanks in advance all!

Many Thanks,
Scoo
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:13 pm

They usually email but it has happened to some people to receive communication in the post. Will you still have an address in the UK? Could you send someone to check your postbox once in a while?
The HO will send your certificate to your council and they (usually) will send you an invitation for a ceremony - this can be done in most cases via email or the council's website.

Note that you have 90 calendar days to attend a ceremony from the day your council gets the certificate so you may have to cut your trip short. Once you become British you also have to apply for a UK passport before travelling again as your ILR status expires.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Socorro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Socorro » Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Yes, have a permentant address though. problem is no one will be home and I dont want someone accessing my post / my property - I could think of someone to check but still..

If the application is approved by Home office, how long can I delay attending the ceremony? have to be that with in 3 months time, or I could attend later on the request?

Shall I follow up with Council. shall I notify them by any chance? - so they would aware that I will be away

How long should I delay with Council - sorry for repeated questions

Thanks for your reply

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:36 pm

You have 90 days to attend the ceremony from when you get approved - usually delays aren't accepted, your certificate is sent back and you'd have to apply again. You could redirect your post at a trusted friend/family?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Socorro
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Socorro » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:57 pm

Ok, I will see what I can do with Council. once I attaned the Ceremony - how long I would have to apply for the Passport? can't travel on Home Country passport once attend the Ceremony?

Or how long can I go abroad after the council ceremony and returning time?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:15 pm

You need to apply for a UK passport straight away in order to travel once you become a citizen. Passport applications can take up to three weeks of standard processing time.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:50 pm

Socorro wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:57 pm
Ok, I will see what I can do with Council. once I attaned the Ceremony - how long I would have to apply for the Passport? can't travel on Home Country passport once attend the Ceremony?

Usually people apply for the first British passport right after the ceremony but you still can travel between the ceremony date (when you receive the certificate of naturalisation) and the passport application. Due to work commitments I had to travel two days after the ceremony and had no issues at all, still travelled with my BRP. However I didn't spend several weeks abroad.

When applying for the first British passport obviously you cannot travel as the original passport must be submitted to HMPO.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:54 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:50 pm
Socorro wrote:

Usually people apply for the first British passport right after the ceremony but you still can travel between the ceremony date (when you receive the certificate of naturalisation) and the passport application. Due to work commitments I had to travel two days after the ceremony and had no issues at all, still travelled with my BRP. However I didn't spend several weeks abroad.

When applying for the first British passport obviously you cannot travel as the original passport must be submitted to HMPO.

This only holds if OP is from a visa free country - otherwise the BRP could be confiscated and OP could incur in a fine.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:19 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:54 pm
lolo2 wrote:
Socorro wrote:

This only holds if OP is from a visa free country - otherwise the BRP could be confiscated and OP could incur in a fine.
I am from a visa country and the border officer didn't confiscate my BRP or even mentioned anything about it.

After ceremony, the BRP is no longer valid and as per the letter "cannot be used as evidence of your status". The part related to a fine is mentioned if the applicant doesn't return this invalid BRP. From my experience, the date when the BRP is returned is not that relevant as long as the holder returns the card.

When travelling between ceremony and British passport application, I think the BRP stuff is more relevant to be allowed to board a plane back to the UK. It was a coincidence that I was invited to the ceremony and received the certificate two days before this long-planned trip.

In OP's case, the factor to ponder is their plans to be away for a long time, other elements need to be considered and can make their situation more complex. i.e. what if they don't/can't return in the planned date? etc. They also have not yet received a response on their application, that's so many uncertainties.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:13 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:19 pm
I am from a visa country and the border officer didn't confiscate my BRP or even mentioned anything about it.
I wouldn't dismiss this possibility. Border Force can do (and does) that; see eg british-citizenship/sru-revocation-of-b ... 87178.html
Citizenship Ceremony in Nov 2015 (Flew to Sri Lanka on the same day on a return ticket)
• Returned to the UK in April 2016 to start my business (used BRP for entering UK)
• Returned from a trip to Canada in Oct 2016 (BRP withheld by IO at point of entry)
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:47 pm

That's the reason why I commented on the long length of OP's trip.

What is described in that post is something completely extreme.
• Citizenship Ceremony in Nov 2015 (Flew to Sri Lanka on the same day on a return ticket)
• Returned to the UK in April 2016 to start my business (used BRP for entering UK)
• Lodged Overseas British Passport Application from Sri Lanka in Nov 2016
Lodging a first British passport application from the home country after one year of ceremony? I think sometimes we need to exercise common sense.

I don't see a trip of a few days to be in contravention of the future intentions.

However in this post, OP needs to assess their particular circumstances, the planned long absence, etc.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:53 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:19 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:54 pm
lolo2 wrote:
Socorro wrote:

After ceremony, the BRP is no longer valid and as per the letter "cannot be used as evidence of your status". The part related to a fine is mentioned if the applicant doesn't return this invalid BRP. From my experience, the date when the BRP is returned is not that relevant as long as the holder returns the card.

When travelling between ceremony and British passport application, I think the BRP stuff is more relevant to be allowed to board a plane back to the UK. It was a coincidence that I was invited to the ceremony and received the certificate two days before this long-planned trip.

In OP's case, the factor to ponder is their plans to be away for a long time, other elements need to be considered and can make their situation more complex. i.e. what if they don't/can't return in the planned date? etc. They also have not yet received a response on their application, that's so many uncertainties.
So did you board the plane using the BRP? How did you enter the country?
As it was pointed out, the HO does have the power to confiscate the BRP. Such a move is risky as newly minted citizens are specifically instructed on what to do.

Also - if OP travels after BRP are phased out, they may not have an option to return to the UK using their former status. It is a massive gamble as we don't know enough about eVisas yet.