ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite leave to remain application deadline

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Indefinite leave to remain application deadline

Post by andrewgibson » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:14 pm

I'm puzzled by this paragraph in my wife's letter from the Home Office regarding of her Grant of Leave to Remain (Five Year Partner Route).

You must apply before the end of your authorised stay in the UK, but not more than 28 days before completing that period. If you apply earlier than that, your application may be refused.

Does that mean we have to file the application when her visa has 28 days left on it? Current information on the government website says visas are taking about 8 weeks to process.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Indefinite leave to remain application deadline

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:29 pm

Are you asking specifically for indefinite leave after 5 years or the spouse visa extension?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:31 pm

andrewgibson wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:14 pm
I'm puzzled by this paragraph in my wife's letter from the Home Office regarding of her Grant of Leave to Remain (Five Year Partner Route).

You must apply before the end of your authorised stay in the UK, but not more than 28 days before completing that period. If you apply earlier than that, your application may be refused.

Does that mean we have to file the application when her visa has 28 days left on it? Current information on the government website says visas are taking about 8 weeks to process.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
It means application CAN be put in 28days before completing 60months in the UK which corroborates the 28days concession for ILR SET M or 30months for FLR M.

It is not a must but can be done or from then till the expiry of her current leave.

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:39 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:29 pm
Are you asking specifically for indefinite leave after 5 years or the spouse visa extension?
Indefinite leave to remain after 5 years

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:41 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:31 pm
andrewgibson wrote:

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
It means application CAN be put in 28days before completing 60months in the UK which corroborates the 28days concession for ILR SET M or 30months for FLR M.

It is not a must but can be done or from then till the expiry of her current leave.
But it says "not more than 28 days before". Surely that means you can't put in the application before then?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:17 pm

These paragraphs are being incorrectly interpreted by applicants all the time as they do not know the context at all. The earliest date of ILR eligibility is within 28 days of completing your 60 months in the UK. That is when you can be granted ILR. Note that the visa expiry is irrelevant.

In the past, applicants could apply for a same-day decision (in the old UKVI premium visa centres), so the date of application and the date of the decision were effectively the same. In those circumstances, if such a person applied earlier than the date above, they would not be eligible for ILR on that date, hence their application could be refused. So if you are not eligible on the date of the ILR decision, then this could be problematic.

This is no longer an issue as you are required to apply online now and your application is NOT decided until after your biometrics is enrolled. So the date of application and the date of the decision are no longer on the same day. Given that your lawful residence is calculated on the date of ILR decision, the date of application is no longer that critical anymore and most applicants could continue to accumulate lawful residence until the day UKVI is about to make a decision on their ILR. The date of the ILR decision is therefore the most important date and this date almost always will be AFTER the date of application and the biometrics.

With the above in mind, the note that reminds you that you could be refused if you apply early is not that alarming.

You can learn more here: Applicants can benefit from the date of the ILR decision
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:49 am

andrewgibson wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:41 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:31 pm
andrewgibson wrote:

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

But it says "not more than 28 days before". Surely that means you can't put in the application before then?
Hope with @zimba's explanation you got the correct interpretation now?

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:28 am

I understand now. Thanks for your help!