ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long before I enter UK on Tier-1?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anubhav78

How long before I enter UK on Tier-1?

Post by anubhav78 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 am

Hi gurus,

Just heard from soemone in the UK.
They say that I need to enter the UK within the first six months of my Tier-1 stamping.
I was under the impression that after the stamping I could enter anytime in the next 3 yrs.

It would be great if you could point me to any official guidance which mentions the same.

Thanks
Anubhav
Last edited by anubhav78 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 am

The person is correct. You must enter the UK within 6 motnhs of obtaining your Vsia or else it will become invalid.

suds19

Post by suds19 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am

There is no such restrcition. You can enter anytime within visa validity.
But make sure you have good reason for the immigration officer to be convinced about your delay.

anubhav78

Post by anubhav78 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks Suds19/Vanadil,

I am still enquiring and I got the same reply as Suds19.
Just wondering, wondering what reasons can I give for my late entry.
I'm an IT professional and its evident that the job market is not conducive right now..
Just need a instinctive feeling from you guys.. Would this recession be a nice reason to convince the immigration officer?

Thanks again to both of you..
Anubhav

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Sorry perhaps I was too hasty in my response.

please see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 899#186899

If you do not enter the UK within 6 motnhs from the start date of the Visa, you do need to provide evidence why you did not enter. I'm not sure in all honesty if the recession would be a valid reason on its own but I should think it would help in an argument. Best to read some guidelines on what does qualify as a reason.

anubhav78

Post by anubhav78 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm

That was really helpful Vanadil..

I guess it would affect my ILR application..
Otherwise I dont see anywhere specifically mentioning that I cannot enter after 6 months...
Of course it is preferred but not mandatory..

Thanks,
Anubhav

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 pm

anubhav78 wrote:That was really helpful Vanadil..

I guess it would affect my ILR application..
Otherwise I dont see anywhere specifically mentioning that I cannot enter after 6 months...
Of course it is preferred but not mandatory..

Thanks,
Anubhav
Yes. See my earlier post in this regard. Should be somewhat helpful.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

sanram
Newly Registered

Help Required!

Post by sanram » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Hey fellas,

Sort me out!!

I lost my job just before christmas, i was initially on company's work permit for 2 yrs, then switched to HSMP which is due to renewal in oct 2009.

Now i qualify for all points of tier 1, can i apply now as a ''switching application'' into tier 1 from hsmp?...coz in the immigration eligibility it says, hsmp holders can switch and can extend??...so i persume both conditions r valid isnt it?

can i use initial grant switching application coz im applying 10 months earlier than my hsmp expires?

please help.

push
United Kingdom

Re: Help Required!

Post by push » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:49 pm

sanram wrote:Hey fellas,

I lost my job just before christmas, i was initially on company's work permit for 2 yrs, then switched to HSMP which is due to renewal in oct 2009.

Now i qualify for all points of tier 1, can i apply now as a ''switching application'' into tier 1 from hsmp?...coz in the immigration eligibility it says, hsmp holders can switch and can extend??...so i persume both conditions r valid isnt it?

can i use initial grant switching application coz im applying 10 months earlier than my hsmp expires?

please help.
The guidance notes do not say anything about how much in advance of expiry of current leave can someone apply for Tier-1. ppl have been saying that if someone applies before 4-6 weeks of leave expiry they have to support it with some proof. I am of the opinion that one can apply for Tier-1 anytime he wants. However it will be a good idea to get a confirmation from HO. You might want to send them an email
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer