ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship and passport questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:18 pm

Hello dear members!

I have recently (in July) made the application MN1 for my child to be naturalised in UK. She was born here and one of the parents has obtained ILR after her birth in UK. In the application I input the details of her valid US passport. We are still waiting for the decision. I understand it can take up to 6 months. In the meantime while we are waiting for UK naturalization, I will need to renew her US passport. My questions are:

1. When they issue the new US passport , it will have the new number, which will be different from the MN1 application. Do I need to notify UKVI or Home office of her new US passport number or nothing should be done. We will also get back her old US passport with cut corners.
2. Can it slow down the process of obtaining UK naturalization?
3. Her brp expired in September while we are waiting for the decision. Can she travel for holiday while waiting on her naturalization? She can enter back UK either with her US passport or she has another passport which doesn't require the visa entrance.

Many thanks in advance.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:27 pm

Mods - can you please split this as it seems to me to require a different thread.
ClaraLondon7 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:18 pm
Hello dear members!

I have recently (in July) made the application MN1 for my child to be naturalised in UK. She was born here and one of the parents has obtained ILR after her birth in UK. In the application I input the details of her valid US passport. We are still waiting for the decision. I understand it can take up to 6 months. In the meantime while we are waiting for UK naturalization, I will need to renew her US passport. My questions are:

1. When they issue the new US passport , it will have the new number, which will be different from the MN1 application. Do I need to notify UKVI or Home office of her new US passport number or nothing should be done. We will also get back her old US passport with cut corners.
2. Can it slow down the process of obtaining UK naturalization? You applied for registration, not naturalisation - No it shouldn't show it down. Just inform UKVI.
3. Her brp expired in September while we are waiting for the decision. Can she travel for holiday while waiting on her naturalization? She can enter back UK either with her US passport or she has another passport which doesn't require the visa entrance. She can travel but best to secure a new BRP as she needs a valid BRP to sign up for the eVisa service and you don't know how long her registration application may take, without a BRP she doesn't have currently proof of her immigration status.

Many thanks in advance.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Citizenship and passport questions

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:41 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:27 pm
Mods - can you please split this as it seems to me to require a different thread.
ClaraLondon7 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:18 pm
Hello dear members!

2. Can it slow down the process of obtaining UK naturalization? You applied for registration, not naturalisation - No it shouldn't show it down. Just inform UKVI.
3. Her brp expired in September while we are waiting for the decision. Can she travel for holiday while waiting on her naturalization? She can enter back UK either with her US passport or she has another passport which doesn't require the visa entrance. She can travel but best to secure a new BRP as she needs a valid BRP to sign up for the eVisa service and you don't know how long her registration application may take, without a BRP she doesn't have currently proof of her immigration status.

Many thanks in advance.
Thanks. How shall I inform UKVI? Is it a must/necessary?
My questions was more while she is waiting for registration for her eligible UK citizenship- if by law she is allowed to travel outside of UK for holiday. I would prefer not to go through very costly procedure of issuing brp . she is a minor. Unless it is required by law? And I still do not know the answer to the first question please.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:46 pm

You can email UKVI just to update about the change in circumstances. It is best to inform them.

Use these email addresses
NationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk
furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

Your daughter is allowed to travel. Issuing a new BRP costs £154. If you don't get a new one you can't sign up for the eVisa service for your daughter - if for any reason the application for citizenship is delayed your daughter will be unable to prove her immigration status in the new year.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:08 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:46 pm
You can email UKVI just to update about the change in circumstances. It is best to inform them.

Your daughter is allowed to travel. Issuing a new BRP costs £154. If you don't get a new one you can't sign up for the eVisa service for your daughter - if for any reason the application for citizenship is delayed your daughter will be unable to prove her immigration status in the new year.
The child can enter with a US passport without any issues.

If the child's VISA has expired, a new brp for £154 is not relevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:08 pm
contorted_svy wrote:

The child can enter with a US passport without any issues.

If the child's VISA has expired, a new brp for £154 is not relevant.
Thank you very much. Am I understanding correctly, while she is waiting for her registration as UK citizen (eligible through my ILR and being born in UK), even though her BRP has expired , she can travel abroad for holiday, will be allowed to enter with US passport and won't be considered an overstayer? And mostly important it won't effect the decision on her UK citizen registration?

Also my other question which hasnt been addressed yet- since her BRP is expired while we are waiting for the decision on her registration (she has a plain vanilla case so i am not worried if she will receive it), I do not need to apply for her new brp or anything at all? If by law this gap (her brp expired and us waiting for her UK citizen registration ) does not need to be covered by new brp visa, i would prefer not to spend couple of thousands on it.

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:20 pm

contorted_svy wrote:

I actually successfully registered her on Evisa with her US passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:01 pm

She became an overstayer when her visa expired. This does not however have any impact on her entitlement to register as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:49 pm

If her visa expired while we are waiting for the registration UK citizenship- I registered her before expiration - what by law do I have to do now? I was reading that if I registered her while she had visa (she is 4 yo) then she is not an overstayer.
Then can she travel while waiting? I understand that she can go on holiday and come back with her US passport- but if by then we won't get the registration decision yet, can it negatively impact it? When I was registering her there were no questions to submit passport stamps evidence for being out of the country. We plan holiday for 5 days out of UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:10 pm

I was reading that if I registered her while she had visa (she is 4 yo) then she is not an overstayer.
Not sure where you read this but it is not true. This would only apply if you made a visa or immigration application before her visa expired. Citizenship is not an immigration application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:18 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:10 pm
I was reading that if I registered her while she had visa (she is 4 yo) then she is not an overstayer.
Not sure where you read this but it is not true. This would only apply if you made a visa or immigration application before her visa expired. Citizenship is not an immigration application.
Thank you. I am still not very clear on my below questions. If anybody can address them will be fantastic:

Am I understanding correctly, while she is waiting for her registration as UK citizen (eligible through my ILR and being born in UK), even though her BRP has expired , she can travel abroad for holiday, will be allowed to enter with US passport ? And mostly important it won't effect the decision on her UK citizen registration?

Also my other question which hasn't been addressed yet- since her BRP is expired while we are waiting for the decision on her registration (she has a plain vanilla case so i am not worried if she will receive it), I do not need to apply for her new visa/ brp or anything at all? If by law this gap (her brp expired and us waiting for her UK citizen registration ) does not need to be covered by new brp visa, i would prefer not to spend couple of thousands on it. We have a private medical insurance.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:21 pm

ClaraLondon7 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:18 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:10 pm
Thank you. I am still not very clear on my below questions. If anybody can address them will be fantastic:

Am I understanding correctly, while she is waiting for her registration as UK citizen (eligible through my ILR and being born in UK), even though her BRP has expired , she can travel abroad for holiday, will be allowed to enter with US passport ? And mostly important it won't effect the decision on her UK citizen registration? correct, if she enters as a tourist

Also my other question which hasn't been addressed yet- since her BRP is expired while we are waiting for the decision on her registration (she has a plain vanilla case so i am not worried if she will receive it), I do not need to apply for her new visa/ brp or anything at all? If by law this gap (her brp expired and us waiting for her UK citizen registration ) does not need to be covered by new brp visa, i would prefer not to spend couple of thousands on it. We have a private medical insurance. Yes you don't need to apply for another visa. I had initially misunderstood your query and thought you meant to say your daughter's BRP only had expired, but she still had a valid immigration status. No need to apply for a visa extension while you get the registration application approved.

ClaraLondon7
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ClaraLondon7 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:20 pm

ClaraLondon7 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:20 pm
contorted_svy wrote:

I actually successfully registered her on Evisa with her US passport.
Thank you very much for the above emails. It worked and my daughter has been approved. if it is not too much trouble , may I ask after we receive the naturalization certificate, how I can apply for her first British passport?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:02 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.