ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

knowledge of English requirement - British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

knowledge of English requirement - British Citizenship

Post by Sara44 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently filling out my naturalization application. I obtained ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) last year through the Skilled Worker route.

I am a bit confused about a particular question in the application, which asks:
"Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?"

The form further explains:
"Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after 28 October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However, if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application."

I'm unsure how to respond. Should I answer yes or no? I don’t recall any questions about the English language requirement in my ILR application, and I can't remember whether I submitted my UKNARIC certificate at that time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

vinny

Re: knowledge of English requirement - British Citizenship

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:56 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:58 pm

How did you obtain ILR? If you went through the EUSS route you wouldn't have provided proof of English. If you acquired it through visas, you would have had to, but in order to use the same proof you need to retrieve the Ecctis/NARIC letter or the URN of your test. If you can't find any of these you need to book a SELT B1 test.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sara44 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:16 pm

Thanks for quick reply,

When I applied for ILR, prove of English language was not needed because I had prove it earlier when applied for my work visa (Tier 2) on 2018.

I have UKNARIC letters which I Have used on 2018 when applying for my work visa - Can I still use them for naturalization?

Also, how should I answer the question (Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?), shall I say Yes or No?

Thanks a lot

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:51 am

I think you may use the UKNARIC letters.

I agree that there is apparently no English Language requirement under the lead Skilled worker’s settlement rules.

Can you answer “N/A”?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sara44 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:29 am

Thanks a lot Vinny,

Actually, I have two option only for answering the question either Yes or No!

What do you think, appreciate your advice

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:28 am

A Chat-GPT response:
If there was no knowledge of English requirement when you applied for your indefinite leave, you should answer **"No"** to the question "Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?"

This is because the question specifically asks if you met the requirement as part of your application. Since the requirement did not exist at the time of your application, you did not meet it as part of your application process.
Do include the UKNARIC letters with your application.

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sara44 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:46 pm

Thanks a lot