ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by Helen1964 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:40 pm

Well done Chee!
I hope this next bit goes smoothly.
We really should all get together for a group video call with stiff drinks when we finally get our passports. Although I’ll probably have spontaneously combusted by then.

pedo-cevorf-a-minno
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pedo-cevorf-a-minno » Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:53 pm

Chee wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:55 am
Hi Helen good news for me! my status has changed to "your application is being processed" today!
I was kind of surprised to learn that the status may change today, and the same now happened to me. Mine has been in the status of "verifying documents" for quite some time (and even so this morning), whilst now it is "being processed".

I'd assume that it is either the case that some hardworking officials are doing their overtime, or this very status change is but an automatic timer somehow.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:33 pm

pedo-cevorf-a-minno wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:53 pm
Chee wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:55 am
Hi Helen good news for me! my status has changed to "your application is being processed" today!
I was kind of surprised to learn that the status may change today, and the same now happened to me. Mine has been in the status of "verifying documents" for quite some time (and even so this morning), whilst now it is "being processed".

I'd assume that it is either the case that some hardworking officials are doing their overtime, or this very status change is but an automatic timer somehow.
Thats crazy tbh, changing the status on a weekend. Maybe an auto timer.

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:29 am

21st Aug received document and until today they are still verifying documents, ffs what are they doing.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:11 am

crisfp93 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:15 pm
User20123 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:41 am
crisfp93 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:34 am
Chee wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:14 pm
Blitz23 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:02 pm
Chee wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:34 am
May I ask do we need to sign for the post (for the passports and the original documents, an passport card) when they get delivered?
For the passport and passport card they don't require a signature. Not sure about the original documents: I haven't got them yet.
Thank you! My status is still at the "We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents." for exactly three weeks now, hope it'll start progressing tomorrow.
My issue date is today and I applied on August 15th and have the same status as you, it hasn't even gone to 'We are processing your application'. I contacted them and they said it is escalated now so hopefully something for next week.
I just called them, and they said they have escalated my case to the management offices. They also asked me to call by the end of the day for any updates.
Hopefully you will hear something back soon! 3 hours after I contacted this morning, the status is now 'Printing' so it was worth having a chat with them this morning, I just politely asked for a follow up and they did it!

I am glad yours have changed now. I ring them everyday and they come up with the same answer.

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:13 am

crisfp93 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:34 am
Chee wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:14 pm
Blitz23 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:02 pm
Chee wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:34 am
May I ask do we need to sign for the post (for the passports and the original documents, an passport card) when they get delivered?
For the passport and passport card they don't require a signature. Not sure about the original documents: I haven't got them yet.
Thank you! My status is still at the "We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents." for exactly three weeks now, hope it'll start progressing tomorrow.
My issue date is today and I applied on August 15th and have the same status as you, it hasn't even gone to 'We are processing your application'. I contacted them and they said it is escalated now so hopefully something for next week.
Can you share the phone number of the dept? Thank you.

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:15 am

Helen1964 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:10 pm
To my surprise, our status has changed to Processing after just over 2 weeks.
Estimated issue date is 26 September.
My issue date is 23 Sept and still even no change at all. What an appalling service.

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:43 am

Still don't understand why Irish-born citizens can apply for mostly automated online passport that takes less than a week to issue, but naturalized citizens have to send the same documents they've spent two years (sometimes more!) waiting to be verified. Inefficient at best and discriminatory at worst.

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:50 am

c08lam wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:15 am
My issue date is 23 Sept and still even no change at all.
My issue date is also 23 Sept and the tracking is still showing "verifying documents".
I understand that they do contact the Gard for verification and that can lead to delays.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:41 pm

I agree there seems to be a fair amount of duplication between the citizenship unit and the passport office.
Given that the vast majority of people who are granted naturalisation will immediately be applying for a passport, it would seem sensible to have an option where your passport application could be submitted at the end of the naturalisation process by the Citizenship Unit, with no need for the Passport Office to repeat the checks that have already been done.

On another subject, I’m wondering whether one reason for the different processing times is that some national passports are more easily verifiable than others.

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:36 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:41 pm
On another subject, I’m wondering whether one reason for the different processing times is that some national passports are more easily verifiable than others.
I wonder if that's also part of why some people get told to submit two forms of ID and some get told to only submit one.

E.g. my application cover letter did not say to submit two forms of ID, and even specifically said "If you are providing your original passport from country of birth/previous nationality you do not need to submit additional government issued photo identification."

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:38 pm

flwisper wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:43 am
Still don't understand why Irish-born citizens can apply for mostly automated online passport that takes less than a week to issue, but naturalized citizens have to send the same documents they've spent two years (sometimes more!) waiting to be verified. Inefficient at best and discriminatory at worst.
Where did you get this from? I'm seeing quite a few people who are Irish citizens by birth still waiting 3-4 weeks for their first passport as well. First-time passport applications seem to take about that long, but renewals are (usually) much quicker.

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:49 pm

Tuengeek wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:38 pm

Where did you get this from? I'm seeing quite a few people who are Irish citizens by birth still waiting 3-4 weeks for their first passport as well. First-time passport applications seem to take about that long, but renewals are (usually) much quicker.
Maybe I'm wrong here, because indeed it's the same process, but I have never heard complaints from other Irish people about the passport service. Only compliments. Regardless it seems that the entire process could use efficiency updates.

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am

lxk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:50 am
c08lam wrote:
My issue date is also 23 Sept and the tracking is still showing "verifying documents".
I understand that they do contact the Gard for verification and that can lead to delays.
Now (16/9/24) "Your application is being processed".

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:35 am

lxk wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am
lxk wrote:
c08lam wrote:
Yep, this 8s how it works for most people. They only start looking a week before issue date.

tingtingjosel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by tingtingjosel » Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:17 am

Hi everyone,

I don’t see anyone posting on when original docs were returned after you have received your new passport. I’m so worried that they will loose or forget to send something back.
How fast they return all originals? And I hope nobody had any issues and all docs were returned?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:34 am

tingtingjosel wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:17 am
Hi everyone,

I don’t see anyone posting on when original docs were returned after you have received your new passport. I’m so worried that they will loose or forget to send something back.
How fast they return all originals? And I hope nobody had any issues and all docs were returned?
They usually return them after passport is printed and sent back.

What are you trying to achieve asking whether people had any issues? If passport office will ask for originals, you will have to send them anyway.

I understand the worries, but they're handling them.on the daily - they know what they are doing.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Skybuddy
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Skybuddy » Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:48 am

lxk wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am
lxk wrote:
c08lam wrote:
My friend has the exact same date as you and his tracking changed to "Your application is being processed" yesterday. Hopefully you both get your passports soon. I’ll try to keep you posted if anything changes.

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Post by cdn16 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.

Chee
Ireland

Post by Chee » Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:38 pm

c08lam wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.
Just happened to me, got an email today asking for an additional document as I use 2 different Revenue letters for both proof of name and proof of address. The email asks for an original letter from a different source.

pedo-cevorf-a-minno
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pedo-cevorf-a-minno » Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:12 pm

Mine came into this "being processed" state on Saturday[1] and today I've got their email saying:
Identity Verification Form Resubmission Request
The witness form submitted with your online application is not acceptable as it was not entered in the Garda log book. We contacted both Anglesea Street and the Bridwell Garda stations in Cork and no entry was listed in either Garda station.
I saw pretty much clear several weeks ago that they've got my entry added onto the log book. Went to the Garda station to confirm that and got a new identity verification form witnessed nevertheless.

Things could go interesting it seems.

[1]: Previous comment: viewtopic.php?t=344303&start=150#p2177931

kzz
Ireland

Post by kzz » Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:07 am

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:12 pm
Mine came into this "being processed" state on Saturday[1] and today I've got their email saying:
The witness form submitted with your online application is not acceptable as it was not entered in the Garda log book. We contacted both Anglesea Street and the Bridwell Garda stations in Cork and no entry was listed in either Garda station.
I saw pretty much clear several weeks ago that they've got my entry added onto the log book. Went to the Garda station to confirm that and got a new identity verification form witnessed nevertheless.

So it looks like the first three weeks of "We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents." status does not really mean they are verifying anything, it just means the application sits in the queue waiting to be processed. :shock:

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:19 am

Trying not to bite my nails here but this is rather excruciating.
Am just waiting for the email to tell me I’ve screwed up.

Please shout everyone as soon as your status changes to printing!

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:34 am

kzz wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:07 am
Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:12 pm

So it looks like the first three weeks of "We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents." status does not really mean they are verifying anything, it just means the application sits in the queue waiting to be processed. :shock:

Yep, this is exactly how it works. Mine has eta of 1st October. It will change to processing 1 week before that date and that's when they start verify the documents and the rest of the procedure follows.