ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can registration for kids be made abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naija99
Member of Standing

Can registration for kids be made abroad

Post by naija99 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:43 pm

Please could someone advise
My friend just got ILR long residence
Her son born 2018 in the uk was given flr to start with but never renewed so he doesn’t have any status at the moment and he left the uk without any status
Her Daughter born in abroad in 2020 has never been to uk

Both children are abroad at present
Can they both register and which applications should they use please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can registration for kids be made abroad

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:59 pm

The uk born child yes. Form MN1.

The child born abroad no.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

naija99
Member of Standing

Post by naija99 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:17 pm

Thank you.

What happens to the child born abroad? Does she have to apply for indefinite leave to enter the U.K. first? Then registration?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:32 pm

The child born abroad has no entitlement to register as British like the child that is uk born has.

The child born abroad must apply for entry clearance and will depend what the visa status of the other parent is.

A born abroad child can apply for citizenship once they have ilr and either parent is also applying and the other parent has ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:23 pm

The child born abroad will need to apply for entry clearance along with the other/second/less privileged parent, follow the same pathway as that other parent to ILR, and then, after both the child born abroad and other parent have got ILR, they can register as a British citizen.

Essentially the pathway for the the child born abroad depends on the second/less privileged parent, not the one who is already a British citizen.

It is possible for one child to acquire British citizenship, but their siblings to not acquire British citizenship. My manager was a British citizen by birth in the UK (in the 1960s), but both his elder sibling and younger sibling, born in Nigeria, are not British citizens.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.