ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earliest travel date after fiancé visa approved

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Stokie
Newly Registered
England

Earliest travel date after fiancé visa approved

Post by Stokie » Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:39 pm

Hi all,

My fiancé was just granted her fiancé visa but the start date is early December as that's what we put as the intended date of travel in the application. We didn't expect the visa to be approved so quickly!

My question is - can she come in early November and stay with me as a tourist before the start date of the fiancé visa in early December? She does not need a visa to visit as a tourist.

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Earliest travel date after fiancé visa approved

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:46 pm

She needs to come between the dates it has been granted.

She would need an entry stamp on the visa sticker in her passport.

If she tries to come as a tourist, she does risk being refused entry as she is obviously not a tourist.

If she does manage to enter the uk, she would have to leave and then come back on the date her visa is valid from in her passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Stokie
Newly Registered
England

Post by Stokie » Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:46 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:46 pm
She needs to come between the dates it has been granted.

She would need an entry stamp on the visa sticker in her passport.

If she tries to come as a tourist, she does risk being refused entry as she is obviously not a tourist.

If she does manage to enter the uk, she would have to leave and then come back on the date her visa is valid from in her passport.
Thank you for the response.

I’ve consulted with a few other forums and family visa groups, and the general consensus seems to be that she would not be doing anything wrong/illegal by coming before her visa start date, but doing so carries some risk as the decision would be at the discretion of the immigration officer upon entry.

Personally, I don't see a strong reason why she would be refused entry, given that she already has an approved visa—albeit with a later start date. The only potential issue I can imagine is that they might perceive it as an attempt to extend her stay beyond six months (but even then, she is coming here with the aim of marrying and staying indefinitely!).

I also spoke to UK Visas and Immigration, who confirmed that it should be fine, but they emphasized that they don’t handle border control decisions, so it would ultimately come down to the immigration officer's decision on the day she arrives.

I was really hoping she could come a month earlier since both our birthdays are in November, and it would mean we could finally be together to celebrate for the first time. But, I don’t want to run the risk of her being turned back, or worse, jeopardizing her visa status or future applications.

:?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:04 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:48 am

Depending on what nationality she has, she might not even be able to leave her home country. Airlines might decline to board her, as they get fined for not doing their due diligence.

Visa isn't active until start date!

Visa issued doesn't mean it's valid yet. Schengen visas are a typical example of this.

If she's a non visa national. note as previously warned that her Fiance visa wouldn't be active yet if allowed in the country. The only way to activate it would be at the Border. That means she needs to exit and re-enter. So she might not be able to change to a spouse visa in-country later. I fear you risk messing things up big time.

There are many more birthdays to be celebrated. Ultimately, we can only advise, the choice is yours.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:28 pm

In addition to the advice given in previous posts, you weren't actually speaking to a UK visas and Immigration employee during your telephone conversation.

The 'Home Office 'helpline' service is outsourced, and operated by an agency with staff who have limited training, and frequently give incorrect advice, even on the simplest of immigration rules. Neither will they accept any responsibility for the impact of their errors. :!:

If you have clicked on Vinny's link to 30c of the Immigration Rules, you will see the official guidance regarding early entry. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.