ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by cdn16 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 pm

Chee wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:38 pm
c08lam wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.
Just happened to me, got an email today asking for an additional document as I use 2 different Revenue letters for both proof of name and proof of address. The email asks for an original letter from a different source.
:shock:

My original birth certificate is laminated and I sent that with a cover letter, explaining them why I'm sending a laminated document. So, I'm not surprised if they ask me to send a non-laminated document (which I don't have!).

I just don't understand the rational behind this whole process though. Anyone who receives their naturalisation certificate, would eventually (if not the very next day) apply for a passport. The Citizenship Department has all the necessary documents verified before issuing the cert. They can very well apply for the passport on the candidates behalf and make an effort to provide the candidates with their new Irish Passports at the ceremony! Imagine how wonderful it would be!
We wait at least a year to receive the document and another month or so to get this passport! Totally rediculous process...

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:42 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 pm
They can very well apply for the passport on the candidates behalf and make an effort to provide the candidates with their new Irish Passports at the ceremony! Imagine how wonderful it would be!
As someone who would prefer to have a passport in a different name compared to naturalisationvcertificate, I'd disagree with the fact that it'd be wonderful, but sure.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:02 am

cdn16 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 pm
Chee wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:38 pm
c08lam wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.
Just happened to me, got an email today asking for an additional document as I use 2 different Revenue letters for both proof of name and proof of address. The email asks for an original letter from a different source.
:shock:

My original birth certificate is laminated and I sent that with a cover letter, explaining them why I'm sending a laminated document. So, I'm not surprised if they ask me to send a non-laminated document (which I don't have!).

I just don't understand the rational behind this whole process though. Anyone who receives their naturalisation certificate, would eventually (if not the very next day) apply for a passport. The Citizenship Department has all the necessary documents verified before issuing the cert. They can very well apply for the passport on the candidates behalf and make an effort to provide the candidates with their new Irish Passports at the ceremony! Imagine how wonderful it would be!
We wait at least a year to receive the document and another month or so to get this passport! Totally rediculous process...
I totally agree with you. Useless process to be honest...

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:12 pm

Great news.

My status just changed to printing, hopefully it will arrive next Monday.
Thanks god they are not asking for additional supporting documents.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:14 pm

Well done!
What was your estimated issue date?

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:16 pm

Ah, I see your estimated issue date was 23 September.

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Post by cdn16 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:55 pm

c08lam wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:12 pm
Great news.

Good luck to you!

Not so for me though. As I was expecting, they’ve asked for additional documents today. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:49 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:55 pm
c08lam wrote:
Great news.

Good luck to you!

Not so for me though. As I was expecting, they’ve asked for additional documents today. 🤷🏻‍♂️
What documents did they ask?

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Post by cdn16 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Leo99 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:49 pm
cdn16 wrote:
c08lam wrote:
Great news.

Good luck to you!

The original birth certificate I submitted with my application was laminated. I attached a cover letter explaining why I’m sending the laminated version. Regardless, they’ve asked for a non-laminated version of the birth certificate.

I need to submit it within 14 days but I don’t think I’ll be able to get another copy from the Consulate or the home country within that time. It’ll at least take 4-8 weeks! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:19 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:32 pm
Leo99 wrote:
cdn16 wrote:
c08lam wrote:
Great news.

Good luck to you!

The original birth certificate I submitted with my application was laminated. I attached a cover letter explaining why I’m sending the laminated version. Regardless, they’ve asked for a non-laminated version of the birth certificate.

I need to submit it within 14 days but I don’t think I’ll be able to get another copy from the Consulate or the home country within that time. It’ll at least take 4-8 weeks! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Damn. That sucks.

Chee
Ireland

Post by Chee » Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:27 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:32 pm
Leo99 wrote:
cdn16 wrote:
c08lam wrote:
Great news.

Good luck to you!

I could be wrong but the "valid for 14 days" I think refers to the "Generate Cover Page" link.

Hope it works out for you.

I submitted additional document and now my estimated issue date has moved to 10th of October.

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:11 pm

Skybuddy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:48 am
lxk wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am
lxk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:50 am
c08lam wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:15 am
My issue date is 23 Sept and still even no change at all.
My issue date is also 23 Sept and the tracking is still showing "verifying documents".
I understand that they do contact the Gard for verification and that can lead to delays.
Now (16/9/24) "Your application is being processed".
My friend has the exact same date as you and his tracking changed to "Your application is being processed" yesterday. Hopefully you both get your passports soon. I’ll try to keep you posted if anything changes.
This morning the status changed to "Your Passport Book is being printed".
Most documents submitted were originals and therefore I think that any delay was due to a queue rather than any real need for verification (apart from the Garda signature).

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:55 pm

Congrats!
We're still stuck on Processing here. Estimated issue date is 26 September. Don't think I can take much more of this!

lucidj
Mood:
Ireland

Post by lucidj » Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:46 pm

Hello everyone. I have applied for the Irish Passport online on the 22nd of August but they only received my documents on the 29th.
My estimated passport issue is the 26th of September and my current status for the last 3 days has been "processing application". Hopefully I get it soon

iceice855
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by iceice855 » Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 pm

I think the whole process depends on whoever is incharge of your application, I submitted my application on the 22nd of august with the estimated date set for 20th september. I was worried they might ask for additional document, to my greatest suprise I received my passport on the 18th and passport card on the 19th, just waiting for my originals that I submitted.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:13 am

iceice855 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 pm
I think the whole process depends on whoever is incharge of your application, I submitted my application on the 22nd of august with the estimated date set for 20th september. I was worried they might ask for additional document, to my greatest suprise I received my passport on the 18th and passport card on the 19th, just waiting for my originals that I submitted.
I don't think person I'm charge matters tbh. They only start processing it in the last week before your delivery date. Am pretty sure yours changed from verification to processing last week or so. What were the documents you send?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:05 pm

Post removed - don't put some unrelated AI generated data on the forum, please @radhikagupta
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:17 pm

Looks like my application is stuck in a bit of a limbo, two weeks past the estimated date. Customer service said that there are no problems recorded, just that it's taking time. All my documents (including drivers license) were submitted in original, so not sure what's the delay about. I'll update if I know afterwards.

The estimated* issue date for your Passport Book is:
09/09/2024

Today
21/09/2024
Processing application

Your application is being processed
1 month 1 week 3 days ago
12/08/2024

Processing application
12/08/2024
Processing application

We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:53 pm

You have my sympathy.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:02 pm

flwisper wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:17 pm
Looks like my application is stuck in a bit of a limbo, two weeks past the estimated date. Customer service said that there are no problems recorded, just that it's taking time. All my documents (including drivers license) were submitted in original, so not sure what's the delay about. I'll update if I know afterwards.

09/09/2024

Today
21/09/2024
Processing application

12/08/2024

Processing application
12/08/2024
Processing application

We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

They should know why the delay is and also let you know what is causing the delay tbh.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:50 am

I think in this case you would be justified in calling them and asking - very politely - if there’s any possibility of speeding things up.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:19 am

Helen1964 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:50 am
I think in this case you would be justified in calling them and asking - very politely - if there’s any possibility of speeding things up.
I do it every day, sometimes twice and all they say is that it is with a checker and your application is currently being worked on. It will be 7 weeks by the end of this week!! No further docs requested. Just sheer laziness, im telling ya.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:11 am

Leo99 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:02 pm
flwisper wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:17 pm

09/09/2024

Today
21/09/2024
Processing application

12/08/2024

Processing application
12/08/2024
Processing application

They should know why the delay is and also let you know what is causing the delay tbh.
They really don't know. They can only tell you if it's with a checker or not, and if your application is being processed. If you have any notes on your application, such as a request for new documents, they can notify you, but you will also receive an email. I call them twice a day and speak with them on the chat, and all they tell me is that no additional documents are required from you; it is just with a checker and your passport is being checked, that's all!!! Also, they started to say that they have a large backlog to clear, which they never did when I applied. I'm telling you, it depends on who is handling your file. Some people are quick, while others are lazy and waste time for no reason.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:59 am

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that there are times when an administrator might have lots of straightforward cases on their desk and can whizz through them at breakneck speed. And other times when, purely by chance, they have a disproportionate number of more complex cases to deal with. Which slows everything down.
It's tempting to assume - becuase you're angy and frustrated - that the administrator handling your case is lazy or incompetent. But it is equally possible that they are not.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:13 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:59 am
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that there are times when an administrator might have lots of straightforward cases on their desk and can whizz through them at breakneck speed. And other times when, purely by chance, they have a disproportionate number of more complex cases to deal with. Which slows everything down.
It's tempting to assume - becuase you're angy and frustrated - that the administrator handling your case is lazy or incompetent. But it is equally possible that they are not.
I have a friend who knows someone who works there, and he has told me my application is lying on someone's desk. Not even in a queue! I'm angry and frustrated, as anyone would be. I waited 2.8 years for the naturalisation process to be completed, and I'm now nearing 2 months on passport application. My problem is that they are not even asking for any additional documents. :? :( :( :( :(