ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization application for child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalization application for child

Post by Sara44 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:13 am

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your continuous support and advice in this amazing forum.

I need your advice regarding my situation.

I submitted my application for British Citizenship yesterday and have an appointment booked for next week. In the application, I encountered the question: "Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?" I answered "Yes" because I understood that my dependent child, who has ILR under the dependent of Skilled Worker route, needed to wait 12 months after receiving ILR to be eligible for Citizenship. This was based on my belief that waiting would ensure he could pass citizenship to his future children.

However, I’ve since realized my understanding might have been incorrect, and he could have applied for citizenship at the same time as me (please correct me if I’m wrong). Now, I’m unsure of the best course of action. Should I wait until I receive my citizenship and then apply for him, or should I cancel my current application and submit a new one? Or is there a better option I haven't considered?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalization application for child

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:19 am

Children don't have a 12 month wait. They can apply when either parent does and rhenother holds ilr.

Simply complete form MN1 for the child separately. No need to cancel your application.

Each person apply is assessed individually anyway, regardless of whether you apply together or separately.

Note that children are Registered as British. Only adults are naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sara44 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:28 am

Thanks a lot for quick reply,

1. Is applying for the child citizenship now will not be contradicted with my answering to the question "Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?"

2. Could you please tell what the difference between Registered vs is naturalized.

3. If applying for them now, can they pass citizenship to next generation without any restrictions. I heard from friend that they cannot if their child born outside UK.

Thanks so much

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:39 am

1. Not an issue. Add a cover letter if you want to. It is not a reason for a refusal.

2. It is the same end result just children are registered not naturalised. No Oath ceremony for children under 18 etc.

3. They can but a child born abroad would be British by descent who cannot pass it on to their children born abroad. Please don't listen to random people. The nationality laws are crystal clear.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:06 pm

Sara44 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:28 am
Thanks a lot for quick reply,

1. Is applying for the child citizenship now will not be contradicted with my answering to the question "Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?"

2. Could you please tell what the difference between Registered vs is naturalized.

3. If applying for them now, can they pass citizenship to next generation without any restrictions. I heard from friend that they cannot if their child born outside UK.

Thanks so much

If you register your child, they will become British otherwise than by descent, so they can pass British nationality to their children at birth regardless of where he/she was born. However as CR001 stated if your grandchildren are born abroad they would be British by descent so not able to pass British citizenship at birth if the birth happens outside of the UK.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:31 pm

Sara44 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:28 am
Could you please tell what the difference between Registered vs is naturalized.
Both are ways for a non-British citizen to acquire British citizenship.
Naturalization is the way for an adult with no former family connection to acquire British citizenship.
Registration is a way for non-citizens with either certain specified family connections or birth connections to the UK to acquire British citizenship.
It is the route for children meeting UK residence and/or birth requirements to acquire British citizenship.

TL/DR: Registration is for children, naturalisation is for adults
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Sara44
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sara44 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:19 pm

Thank you all for your help and support. Things are much clearer to me now.

I have a further question and would appreciate your guidance. I am uploading supporting documents for my naturalization application and have been asked for the following:

1- An Ecctis letter that confirms the qualification meets or exceeds the recognized standard of a Bachelor's, Master's degree, or PhD in the UK and confirms the level of English to which the degree was taught or researched.

2- The official transcript or letter for (xxx) to prove the required level of English language.

Is there a difference between the documents mentioned in points 1 and 2 above?

Can I use my UK NARIC letters for qualification assessment and English language level issued in 2018 to fulfill the requirements (i.e. for point 1 & 2), or do I need other documents?

Thank you so much

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:25 pm

Yes you can use the letter from NARIC and the degree certificate.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.