ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport and ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Passport and ILR

Post by adviceseeker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi good day to all. I already have and ILR but plan to apply for naturalization by the end of this year. My question is my passport will going to expire by the end of April this year, I was wondering if its alright not to renew my passport as we havent have to plan to go abroad this year or it makes my ILR invalid because of my expired passport.

Thanks for your reply in advance

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Not renewing the passport does not seem to be a good idea.

Not sure though, UKBA might need to see your valid passport while you apply for naturalisation.

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Post by adviceseeker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks dnicky.

Anymore ideas everyone?

thanks

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't think it matters. This page:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... documents/

- lists various documents which might be submitted as alternative to a passport as evidence of nationality and identity, including, for example a birth certificate.

Further on it suggests that if you can't produce a passport including the ILR stamp, you could submit the HO letter conferring ILR.

All this suggests to me that a recently-expired passport would be sufficient to support an application.

And most certainly, your ILR doesn't lapse simply because your passport expires.

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Post by adviceseeker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks MR Rusty, youre right it doesnt really says that your passport should be valid, and ILR doesnt have expiry date on it as its permanent. I will just leave my passport the way it is and proceed the naturalization straight away, it will save me a couple of hundred of pounds.

Thanks

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Post by adviceseeker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Anyone got similar situation like me can you post your experience please...

Thanks

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 pm

From what I read on HO website few days ago, if your passport containing ILR stams expires and renew your passport, you don't have to transfer ILR stamp to new passport (which costs £160) but have to keep both passport while travelling. Not sure about what are the passport requirements for nationality are but when you apply for british passport, you have to submit your old passport which then gets cancelled. In my personal opinion, its best to have a valid passport all the time so as not go give HO any chance to find fault in your naturalisation application.

Not sure but you might be able to find out exactly from NCS in your town. Please correct me if I am wrong.