ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leo99
Ireland

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by Leo99 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:34 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:59 am
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that there are times when an administrator might have lots of straightforward cases on their desk and can whizz through them at breakneck speed. And other times when, purely by chance, they have a disproportionate number of more complex cases to deal with. Which slows everything down.
It's tempting to assume - becuase you're angy and frustrated - that the administrator handling your case is lazy or incompetent. But it is equally possible that they are not.
Agree with this. But they should let the applicant know why it's taking time.

Leo99
Ireland

Post by Leo99 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:48 pm

User20123 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:11 am
Leo99 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:02 pm
flwisper wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:17 pm
Looks like my application is stuck in a bit of a limbo, two weeks past the estimated date. Customer service said that there are no problems recorded, just that it's taking time. All my documents (including drivers license) were submitted in original, so not sure what's the delay about. I'll update if I know afterwards.

The estimated* issue date for your Passport Book is:
09/09/2024

Today
21/09/2024
Processing application

Your application is being processed
1 month 1 week 3 days ago
12/08/2024

Processing application
12/08/2024
Processing application

We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

They should know why the delay is and also let you know what is causing the delay tbh.
They really don't know. They can only tell you if it's with a checker or not, and if your application is being processed. If you have any notes on your application, such as a request for new documents, they can notify you, but you will also receive an email. I call them twice a day and speak with them on the chat, and all they tell me is that no additional documents are required from you; it is just with a checker and your passport is being checked, that's all!!! Also, they started to say that they have a large backlog to clear, which they never did when I applied. I'm telling you, it depends on who is handling your file. Some people are quick, while others are lazy and waste time for no reason.
They're gonna delay it if you keep calling them two times a day and chat again the same thing over and over I think.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:08 pm

Leo99 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:48 pm
User20123 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:11 am
Leo99 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:02 pm
flwisper wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:17 pm
Looks like my application is stuck in a bit of a limbo, two weeks past the estimated date. Customer service said that there are no problems recorded, just that it's taking time. All my documents (including drivers license) were submitted in original, so not sure what's the delay about. I'll update if I know afterwards.

The estimated* issue date for your Passport Book is:
09/09/2024

Today
21/09/2024
Processing application

Your application is being processed
12/08/2024

Processing application
12/08/2024
Processing application

We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.

They should know why the delay is and also let you know what is causing the delay tbh.
They really don't know. They can only tell you if it's with a checker or not, and if your application is being processed. If you have any notes on your application, such as a request for new documents, they can notify you, but you will also receive an email. I call them twice a day and speak with them on the chat, and all they tell me is that no additional documents are required from you; it is just with a checker and your passport is being checked, that's all!!! Also, they started to say that they have a large backlog to clear, which they never did when I applied. I'm telling you, it depends on who is handling your file. Some people are quick, while others are lazy and waste time for no reason.
They're gonna delay it if you keep calling them two times a day and chat again the same thing over and over I think.
Sitting there and not asking for updates would not help them work faster on my application. I believe it is fair to contact them after the due date has passed. My due date was Sep 9th..It's unfairr that they're issuing passports to people in less than a month while others are stuck in queue. This is worse than the Citizenship department.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:11 pm

Leo99 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:34 pm
Helen1964 wrote:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and suggest that there are times when an administrator might have lots of straightforward cases on their desk and can whizz through them at breakneck speed. And other times when, purely by chance, they have a disproportionate number of more complex cases to deal with. Which slows everything down.
It's tempting to assume - becuase you're angy and frustrated - that the administrator handling your case is lazy or incompetent. But it is equally possible that they are not.
True. However, the customer service advisors don't know a thing. All i hear is keep checking the tracker. I even told them why can you not update the tracker so that at least I can stop ringing and' they said no that can't be updated. We have some limitations in doing that; system issues and BS!!

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:24 am

lxk wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:07 am
lxk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:50 am
c08lam wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:15 am
My issue date is 23 Sept and still even no change at all.
My issue date is also 23 Sept and the tracking is still showing "verifying documents".
I understand that they do contact the Gard for verification and that can lead to delays.
Now (16/9/24) "Your application is being processed".
I have now received both the passport and card but I am still waiting the return of original documents. My track record is below. I did politely chase via webchat once.

23/09/2024 Printing - Your Passport Card is being printed
20/09/2024 Dispatched - Your Passport Book was posted on 20/09/2024
20/09/2024 Printing - Your Passport Card is being printed
20/09/2024 Printing - Your Passport Book is being printed. Any\all documents submitted will be returned separately
16/09/2024 1 week 2 days ago Processing application - Your application is being processed
26/08/2024 1 month ago Processing application - We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
22/08/2024 1 month 4 days ago - We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

kd_irl
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by kd_irl » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:59 am

User20123 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:11 pm
Leo99 wrote:
Helen1964 wrote:
True. However, the customer service advisors don't know a thing. All i hear is keep checking the tracker. I even told them why can you not update the tracker so that at least I can stop ringing and' they said no that can't be updated. We have some limitations in doing that; system issues and BS!!
Did you try to make a complaint? Not sure if it will be of much use, but how your timelines look - maybe worth trying?
https://ppscomplaints.dfa.ie/complaints-welcome/

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:15 pm

Has anyone gotten a text from An Post once the passport is sent before? My passport has been in the second "processing" stage since Wednesday last week and I just got a text today from An Post that there's a parcel on the way, and I'm wondering if it might be my passport since I'm not expecting anything else right now...

lucidj
Mood:
Ireland

Post by lucidj » Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:27 pm

My estimated issue date is tomorrow and it's still showing as "processing application" 🫠🫠. I Hooe they accept my birth cert cuz it's a digital copy with a valid QR code for validation

lucidj
Mood:
Ireland

Post by lucidj » Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:24 pm

lucidj wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:27 pm
My estimated issue date is tomorrow and it's still showing as "processing application" 🫠🫠. I Hooe they accept my birth cert cuz it's a digital copy with a valid QR code for validation
* UPDATE *

My status has been changed to "printing". FINALLY 😅

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:28 pm

kd_irl wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:59 am
User20123 wrote:
Leo99 wrote:
Helen1964 wrote:
Did you try to make a complaint? Not sure if it will be of much use, but how your timelines look - maybe worth trying?
Do you think it's worth it? What if an old grumpy civil servant gets upset after reviewing my application and delays it until next year? I'm completely confused. It will be two months on Friday, and I have already contacted the TD, who has informed me that they are aware that the TD has contacted them, but the process is ongoing. It's with the checker. Even my friend, whom I asked to ask his friend, is of no help in this situation.

keithmcmxc
Mood:
Philippines

Post by keithmcmxc » Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:56 pm

My passport book has been dispatched already for delivery. :)

keithmcmxc
Mood:
Philippines

Post by keithmcmxc » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:09 pm

Passport application timeline:
22 Aug 2024 - We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
28 Aug 2024 - Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
15 Sep 2024 - Processing application. Your application is being processed.
24 Sep 2024 - Your Passport Book is being printed. Any\all documents submitted will be returned separately.
25 Sep 2024 - Your Passport Card is being printed.
25 Sep 2024 - Passport Book dispatched.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:38 pm

lucidj wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:27 pm
Our issue date is tomorrow but it's still stuck on Processing.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:59 pm

User20123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:28 pm
kd_irl wrote:
User20123 wrote:
Leo99 wrote:
Helen1964 wrote:
Do you think it's worth it? What if an old grumpy civil servant gets upset after reviewing my application and delays it until next year? I'm completely confused. It will be two months on Friday, and I have already contacted the TD, who has informed me that they are aware that the TD has contacted them, but the process is ongoing. It's with the checker. Even my friend, whom I asked to ask his friend, is of no help in this situation.
I know this is really hard and you must be incredibly frustrated. I would be too.
But if I were you, I would give it another couple of weeks before you file a complaint.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:05 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:59 pm
User20123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 1:28 pm
kd_irl wrote:
User20123 wrote:
Leo99 wrote:
Helen1964 wrote:
I know this is really hard and you must be incredibly frustrated. I would be too.
But if I were you, I would give it another couple of weeks before you file a complaint.
You are right. Thanks Helen. I think it would be best to wait and not file any complaints for now.

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:58 pm

If it's any consolation, I'm also stuck almost a month past the estimated issue date. Had to cancel flight tickets today as I mistakenly thought 3 months after getting my cert would be enough time to get the passport. Frustrating that they're holding hostage my original passport as well.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:01 pm

I think you and me and User20123 need to go down the pub and get hammered.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:15 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:01 pm
I think that will keep our minds away from this. Lets go hahaha

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:16 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Any movement on your application? Ur passport issue date is tomorrow, right? 😶

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:22 pm

flwisper wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:58 pm
Frustrating that they're holding hostage my original passport as well.
Before I sent in my document, the passport office assured me that if the application took longer than expected, I could call them and ask them to post me my original passport back and they should be able to accomodate that, did you try that?

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:21 pm

Tuengeek wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:22 pm
Before I sent in my document, the passport office assured me that if the application took longer than expected, I could call them and ask them to post me my original passport back and they should be able to accomodate that, did you try that?
Yeah so they put a note on my account with a date that I was planning to travel (which is this weekend) but I haven't gotten any updates or mail, just processing

KyukChick
Kenya

Post by KyukChick » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:42 pm

Passport received on 23/09/2024. Word to the wise: do not apply late in the week as the weekend eats into your processing days.
23/08/2024: Application date (Friday) - docs sent same day
26/08/2024: (Monday) - Docs received by Passport team and being verified. Estimated completion 23.09.2024
16/09/2024: Passport is being processed
19/09/2024: Passport is being printed
20/09/2024: Passport is dispatched (An Post tracking) - Friday
23/09/2024: Passport delivered (Monday)

Awaiting return of docs sent with application:
Original cover form
Original verification form completed by Gardai
Original home country passport
Original naturalisation certificate
Original birth certificate
Original PPS card
Original Irish drivers' licence
Original letter from Residential Tenancy Board showing registration of lease as proof of address
Original letter from public hospital for HSE covered treatment (showing date of birth) as proof of name

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:53 am

User20123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:16 pm
Helen1964 wrote:
Any movement on your application? Ur passport issue date is tomorrow, right? 😶
Nope, nothing. The estimated issue date is today and it’s still stuck on Processing.
They haven’t indicated they need more documents. Or that there’s a problem with the photo. But I don’t think they’ve contacted our witness because he said he would let me know when he heard from them. Perhaps they haven’t even looked at the application yet.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:22 am

Tuengeek wrote:
flwisper wrote:
You should be able to do it - someone I know got all their documents back when they were asked to send a certain original document.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:33 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:22 am
Tuengeek wrote:
flwisper wrote:
You should be able to do it - someone I know got all their documents back when they were asked to send a certain original document.
I don't think it's a good idea to get the passport back because they could be checking it and if you get it back, it'll delay your application. You've waited this long, like me, so give it a few more days max and then file a complaint. I almost did it yesterday but didn't. Even my friend's friend who works there said they literally check the passport to make sure it's authentic, and if they do that and you get it back, your application will be stuck in the system at processing stage.

I just don't get why some people get it so quick and others get stuck when we all give the same documents. In our cases, no further documentation has been requested, and the advisors said they won't ask for any since all checks are fine in the system. It's just sitting on someone's table, a typical worker who takes pride in not working. 🤦‍♂️