ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mn1 application section 3.2 Original Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RM84
Newly Registered
United States of America

Mn1 application section 3.2 Original Passport

Post by RM84 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:07 pm

Hello, I applied for my son's British citizenship by Mn1 Section 3.2 from abroad about 6 months ago and I sent in his original US passport. However now I received an automated email from UKVI saying that the application will not be processed in six months and gives no further information on how long it will take. I have made plans to travel with my son in 2025 (around March) which now has me concerned. Does anyone know if it is possible to request the passport back early while the application is still processing?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Mn1 application section 3.2 Original Passport

Post by Ticktack » Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:14 pm

RM84 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:07 pm
Hello, I applied for my son's British citizenship by Mn1 Section 3.2 from abroad about 6 months ago and I sent in his original US passport. However now I received an automated email from UKVI saying that the application will not be processed in six months and gives no further information on how long it will take. I have made plans to travel with my son in 2025 (around March) which now has me concerned. Does anyone know if it is possible to request the passport back early while the application is still processing?
Original documents aren't a requirement. Why have you done that? The process takes as long as it takes.

Guess you must have done the paper form!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

RM84
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by RM84 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:23 pm

Yes I am applying from overseas so mailing the documents was the only option. The instructions said any passport sent must be original. I am not at all worried about the length of time it takes to finish processing the application but rather them having to hold on to an original passport for as you said "as long as it takes". I was trying to see if it was possible for them to send back the passport while they continue processing the application "for as long as it takes".

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:52 pm

I don't think that is possible - maybe for extenuating circumstances. Applications from abroad are known to take a lot longer. You can try to ask, but it is a possibility your son won't be able to travel for some time.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

RM84
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by RM84 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:43 pm

Well I'll try and see what happens.