ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2007 Life in the UK Test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MagicQ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

2007 Life in the UK Test

Post by MagicQ » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi, I have tried to find an answer to a question but am not finding it so I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

My situation is this... I am a South African citizen living in the UK. I was granted ILR in 2008. Before I did the ILR application I did a Life in the UK test in October 2007. On the Pass Notification Letter it says that the success at the test also demonstrates that my level of competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation or ILR.

What I would like to know is do I need to do another English test/assessment or does the Pass Notification Letter still meet the requirements?

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: 2007 Life in the UK Test

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:08 pm

The current requirements are to have passed an LITUK and an English test, or to have a UK degree.
LITUK as such is fine as it's valid for life. However you will need to provide a pass in English.
Even if you had a separate test pass back then you wouldn't be able to use that now as they expire after two years.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

MagicQ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MagicQ » Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:08 pm
The current requirements are to have passed an LITUK and an English test, or to have a UK degree.
LITUK as such is fine as it's valid for life. However you will need to provide a pass in English.
Even if you had a separate test pass back then you wouldn't be able to use that now as they expire after two years.
Yes, I know what the current requirements are.

It wasn't a separate test back then. The wording on the Pass Notification Letter that I put in my post says that the test meets the required standard of English. It also states that 'No further proof of this is needed.' Also, I don't see why if I met the language requirements in 2007 why would I have to prove it again.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:26 pm

It's all about a "tick the box" approach.
I know it feels like that but it's not about questioning your competency.
Personally I felt similar, had to take these tests after 30+ years residency here having gained professional qualifications.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:00 pm

Requirements at the time were different than they are now.

There have been scandals about people faking their knowledge of English for visas, probably related to that is why now the accepted proofs of English language are either a degree taught in English and recognised by NARIC, a passport from a majority English speaking country, or a SELT B1 test.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:15 pm

The B1 English test requirement came into effect in October 2013. Prior to that, there was no English requirement for ILR.

You need a new test. The Citizenship form specifically asks the question if you have passed an English test on or after October 2013. You have not. You need a new test or a UK Degree or a ECCTIS assessed foreign degree.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.