ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport problem - name misalignment

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jajko007
Newly Registered
Malaysia

British passport problem - name misalignment

Post by Jajko007 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:08 am

Hello, I need advice on the below. I applied for my british passport after naturalisation and I received a letter from HO stating that "The name on your document does not match the name you have asked us to show on your British passport". They have asked me to align my name on my foreign passport.

However, I have cultural conventions on my foreign passport where my name is listed in one line as [Given Name 1] [Surname 1] [Given Name 2] [Given Name 3]

This has caused problems as for my British passport they expect [Given Name 3] to be my Surname. I am unable to align this because it would make my name fall outside the cultural naming convention of my country. My original country also does not recognise dual citizenship.

I would be grateful if someone could advise on this matter, thank you

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British passport problem - name misalignment

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:02 am

If your original country does not recognise dual citizenship, that passport is no longer valid I would think - it would count as cancelled. If that is the case, just cut off a corner and send evidence that your country doesn't support dual citizenship. I am afraid the HO does not place high value on violating the cultural conventions of your origin country, especially considering you are no longer a citizen.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Re: British passport problem - name misalignment

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Does your country have a formal renunciation of citizenship procedure, like India? If so, go through the procedure, renounce your earlier citizenship, have your passport formally cancelled, then apply for a first British passport, showing that you have no uncancelled passport in any other name.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.