ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayed 18 years and ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Melissa8102
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Overstayed 18 years and ILR

Post by Melissa8102 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:30 pm

Hi All,

Really need your assistance with this matter.

I came to the UK in 2006 with an Aupair visa and got married here in 2008. After one week of getting married, my visa expired in 2008. I was told by the home office that I must return to my country and apply for a visa there, but I haven't done so yet. Since that time, I have been living illegally in the UK. I'm still married but I don't have any children. My husband, who is 62 years old, suffers from heart disease. I was instructed by the doctor to keep an eye on him and call an emergency call because he has trouble breathing while sleeping. He has stopped working.
I want to legally reside and work in the UK. 18 and half years have passed since I arrived in the UK. Am I able to apply to make my stay legal ?

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Melissa

meself2
Ireland

Re: Overstayed 18 years and ILR

Post by meself2 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:54 am

It's way too early to talk about ILR.

You would have to either apply as a spouse (and be put on 10 year route/do a 5 year route switch) or wait for another 2 years and apply for long residence to stay in UK as youve been here for 20 years (which is also a 10 year route).

Other members will give you further advice.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:53 am

I agree that unless you do not gain any form of lawful residence, there is no path to ILR. If you are married to a British citizen, an FLR(FP) application should succeed.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:37 pm

What citizenships/nationalities do you hold?
In particular, do you hold the citizenship of any country/ies in the EU/EEA?
Alternatively do you hold Commonwealth citizenship?
Is any of your grandparents born in the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.