ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Re: How long does it take to get the first time passport application?

Post by User20123 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:35 am

Helen1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:53 am
User20123 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:16 pm
Helen1964 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:01 pm
I think you and me and User20123 need to go down the pub and get hammered.
Any movement on your application? Ur passport issue date is tomorrow, right? 😶
Nope, nothing. The estimated issue date is today and it’s still stuck on Processing.
They haven’t indicated they need more documents. Or that there’s a problem with the photo. But I don’t think they’ve contacted our witness because he said he would let me know when he heard from them. Perhaps they haven’t even looked at the application yet.
The worst part is that the tracker won't update anymore. Maybe you should call them and ask what's going on with your application?

lxk
Ireland

Post by lxk » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:08 am

Helen1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:53 am
... The estimated issue date is today and it’s still stuck on Processing.
They haven’t indicated they need more documents. Or that there’s a problem with the photo. But I don’t think they’ve contacted our witness because he said he would let me know when he heard from them...
Maybe the witness issue is a reason for the delay? Mine was witnessed by a Gard who assured me that not only would it be entered in the local log book but details would go to the main area Gard station so that they would be readily available to fulfill a request from Passport Office for confirmation. That means that the witness would not be contacted. Was your witness in the state?
In any case I would use chat to see if you can get any clue as to a possible sticking point, and ask if you can do anything to assist the process.
Hope that helps.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:55 am

We live in France so we didn't have the option of going to a Garda station. So we had to choose someone from the list and believe me, it wasn't easy trying to find someone who would be readily available to pick up the phone during office hours and also, who speaks good enough English to be able to communicate with the Passport Office if they called.
I think the person we used was a good choice, though, so I would be surprised if that was the problem.

I really like your idea of contacting the Passport Office through the chat. Thanks!

abhishek8720
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abhishek8720 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:43 pm

Sorry for jumping into this discussion. I am curious if there's anyone here who was asked for additional documents in the last month and had movement on their resubmission? Here's my timeline so far :
22/08 : Application Submitted
26/08: Docs Received.
ETA 23/09
16/09: Status changed to Processing Application.
18/09: Request for an additional address proof from a Govt Issued source(which I had any way supplied, but nevermind).
19/09: Additional documentation received.

New ETA
10/10

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:46 pm

Here I got the dreaded email today:
Thank you for using our online service. We have noticed an issue with your application which we hope can be easily resolved.

Additional supporting documents are required to complete the processing of your passport application.

As you are applying as a naturalized citizen you are required to send in a second in date government issued ID.

For example a colour photocopy of your public services card or a certified photocopy of your drivers license if you possess one.
My original estimated issue date was tomorrow, but that's probably not happening now. I have travel coming up the week after next, so going to request my original passport back (since it's sufficient for the travel I need to do), we'll see how that affects my application.

I only sent a single form of ID initially since that's what the original cover letter asked for:
Additional documents are required to verify your citizenship.
  • Cover page
  • Identity Verification Form
  • Applicant's full civil birth certificate
  • Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or a copy of driving licence certified by a solicitor or
    An Garda Síochána, or original passport or National ID Card from another country. If resident
    outside the state, certified colour copies of ID are acceptable. A copy can be certified by a police
    officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the issuing authority.
  • Proof of name (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)
  • Proof of address
If you are providing your original passport from country of birth/previous nationality you do
not need to submit additional government issued photo identification.
  • Applicant's Naturalisation certificate (we will also accept a colour copy of Naturalisation Certificate,
    certified as a true copy of the original by a solicitor or notary public)
  • 2 years' proof of usage of the new name, i.e. 1 document each from 2 acceptable sources dated
    more than 2 years ago: photocopy of PSC, photo ID document, pay slips, utility bills, government
    correspondence
(I am applying for a passport in a different name than is on my birth certificate, hence the line about 2 years' proof of usage of name)

I even contacted them before sending off my documents to double check that it was correct that they only needed one form of ID, and they confirmed via WebChat that this was correct, and now I feel bad for trusting that :(

I didn't have a PSC when I applied, but have since gotten one, so I'll just send that I think, hopefully they won't ask for more paperwork.

After talking to them on the WebChat again they said:
Yes unfortunately naturalized applicants now require two government issued IDs I will note the travel date on your application, and I will return your [original nationality] passport to you in the meantime, so you can send the additional ID as soon as ye can
The complication now is that I was applying for an Irish passport in a different name than my original passport (I wanted to remove my middle name as it does not really work very well with naming traditions in the English speaking world), but apparently this is not possible, as a naturalised citizen all the documents have to match up. So I think the easiest thing for me now is to change my name in my country of origin, and get a new passport and birth certificate in my new name, and then just send all of that back instead.

Thankfully I don't urgently need the Irish passport since I'm already an EEA citizen, so in terms of travel my original passport works about as well as the Irish one, but I had hoped for a simpler application...

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:06 pm

Good grief.
If there is a general rule whereby ALL naturalised citizens have to provide TWO forms of government-issued ID, why on earth don't they specify that from the outset?
This is going to be a problem for us. No way one can be in France with zero official ID.

Tuengeek
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Tuengeek » Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:17 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:06 pm
If there is a general rule whereby ALL naturalised citizens have to provide TWO forms of government-issued ID, why on earth don't they specify that from the outset?
Yeah, it feels like the cover letter text is out of date since the "If you are providing your original passport from country of birth/previous nationality" line would not make sense for anyone except naturalised citizens I think? I also specified that I was a naturalised citizen in the application...
Helen1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:06 pm
This is going to be a problem for us. No way one can be in France with zero official ID.
They did say that they accepted a certified copy for the second form of ID, hopefully that's the case for people outside of Ireland as well... (Or in the case of a Public Services Card, a regular photocopy is sufficient, but I'm guessing you don't have that if you don't live in Ireland)

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:48 pm

No wonder they have a backlog if they've been giving out wrong information. Jeez.

abhishek8720
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abhishek8720 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:12 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:48 pm
No wonder they have a backlog if they've been giving out wrong information. Jeez.
I spoke to the customer support last week who was very helpful. He mentioned that the new naturalisation certs don't have a photograph and that's why the checks have gotten more stringent. He admitted that the information given out is incorrect vis-a-vis documents needed, but hopes that it can be corrected ASAP.

As a rule of thumb he said:-
Send originals where possible(think Naturalisation cert and original passport) and only send government issued documents for proof and name and address.
Last edited by abhishek8720 on Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abhishek8720
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abhishek8720 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:14 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 pm
Chee wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:38 pm
c08lam wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.
Just happened to me, got an email today asking for an additional document as I use 2 different Revenue letters for both proof of name and proof of address. The email asks for an original letter from a different source.
:shock:

My original birth certificate is laminated and I sent that with a cover letter, explaining them why I'm sending a laminated document. So, I'm not surprised if they ask me to send a non-laminated document (which I don't have!).

I just don't understand the rational behind this whole process though. Anyone who receives their naturalisation certificate, would eventually (if not the very next day) apply for a passport. The Citizenship Department has all the necessary documents verified before issuing the cert. They can very well apply for the passport on the candidates behalf and make an effort to provide the candidates with their new Irish Passports at the ceremony! Imagine how wonderful it would be!
We wait at least a year to receive the document and another month or so to get this passport! Totally rediculous process...
I had similar issue. I got a birth certificate from the Indian Embassy and that was actually accepted.

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Post by cdn16 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:17 pm

abhishek8720 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:43 pm
Sorry for jumping into this discussion. I am curious if there's anyone here who was asked for additional documents in the last month and had movement on their resubmission? Here's my timeline so far :
ETA 23/09
18/09: Request for an additional address proof from a Govt Issued source(which I had any way supplied, but nevermind).

New ETA
10/10
I'm in somewhat similar situation. Original estimate was on 23 Sep. Received an email requesting original birth cert on 19 Sep. Submitted the doc yesterday and today got a new estimated date as 17 Oct.

Application received: 23/08/2024
Estimated issue date: 17/10/2024
Today (26/09/2024): Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
1 week ago (19/09/2024): We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
1 week 3 days ago (16/09/2024): Processing application. Your application is being processed
1 month 1 day ago (26/08/2024): Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
1 month 4 days ago (23/08/2024): We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.

cdn16
Newly Registered
India

Post by cdn16 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:21 pm

abhishek8720 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:14 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 pm
Chee wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:38 pm
c08lam wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:26 pm
cdn16 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Same for me as well. Submitted on 23 Aug, documents received the next day. Expected delivery date is 23 Sep. Status updated to “being processed” since yesterday. Finally, I can almost see the end for this whole long ordeal that is Naturalisation! 🤞
Don't be happy so early, I read that they can still ask for additional documents even after verification stage. We will see by this Friday.
Just happened to me, got an email today asking for an additional document as I use 2 different Revenue letters for both proof of name and proof of address. The email asks for an original letter from a different source.
:shock:

My original birth certificate is laminated and I sent that with a cover letter, explaining them why I'm sending a laminated document. So, I'm not surprised if they ask me to send a non-laminated document (which I don't have!).

I just don't understand the rational behind this whole process though. Anyone who receives their naturalisation certificate, would eventually (if not the very next day) apply for a passport. The Citizenship Department has all the necessary documents verified before issuing the cert. They can very well apply for the passport on the candidates behalf and make an effort to provide the candidates with their new Irish Passports at the ceremony! Imagine how wonderful it would be!
We wait at least a year to receive the document and another month or so to get this passport! Totally rediculous process...
I had similar issue. I got a birth certificate from the Indian Embassy and that was actually accepted.
I got a new copy from India and submitted it as soon as I received it. The postal service (India Post) was pathetic this time - posted it on 03 Sep and received it just yesterday!

I didn't get it from the embassy as I had to declare that I haven't taken up citizenship from other country (which I have as of Jun 2024).
Last edited by cdn16 on Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abhishek8720
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abhishek8720 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:22 pm

cdn16 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:17 pm
abhishek8720 wrote:
ETA 23/09

New ETA
10/10
I'm in somewhat similar situation. Original estimate was on 23 Sep. Received an email requesting original birth cert on 19 Sep. Submitted the doc yesterday and today got a new estimated date as 17 Oct.

Application received: 23/08/2024
Estimated issue date: 17/10/2024
Today (26/09/2024): Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
1 week ago (19/09/2024): We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
1 week 3 days ago (16/09/2024): Processing application. Your application is being processed
1 month 1 day ago (26/08/2024): Processing application. We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
1 month 4 days ago (23/08/2024): We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
Here's hoping it doesn't take as long as they claim it will. My wife got her passport last week(with exact same set of docs), and we had a holiday booked to Sardinia with friends next week. It looks like she will be going without me. :D

pedo-cevorf-a-minno
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pedo-cevorf-a-minno » Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:20 pm

abhishek8720 wrote:
I am curious if there's anyone here who was asked for additional documents in the last month and had movement on their resubmission?
Happened to me as well.. kind of. It was not additional documents but re-submitting the identity verification form that was requested. They said they talked to the Garda Station and there was no entry for me on their log book (there was).

Requested form posted 17th Sep and was received 18th Sep. The ETA has since been updated to 9th Oct.

(previous comment: viewtopic.php?t=344303&start=150#p2178247)

c08lam
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by c08lam » Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:43 pm

I am waiting for the return of supporting documents, can someone confirm if I will receive another AN POST tracking number for this or they will just simply post it as a normal package?

Thank you.

flwisper
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by flwisper » Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:44 pm

Finally some good news. I didn't receive any emails but I checked tracking and my passport was printed and dispatched today. Giving them a date to travel seems to have sped things up. No reason given as to why it took so long though.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:07 pm

Congratulations!

Chee
Ireland

Post by Chee » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:15 pm

c08lam wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:43 pm
I am waiting for the return of supporting documents, can someone confirm if I will receive another AN POST tracking number for this or they will just simply post it as a normal package?

Thank you.
I've got all the docs back except for the additional one that they asked for today, and my status has changed from "We are now verifying these documents" to "is being processed" today as well.

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:49 pm

Has anyone been asked for additional documents AFTER their estimated issue date?
Ours has come and gone. We’re still stuck on Processing but have had no email to indicate there’s a problem. I did chat with a customer service agent yesterday and he said he would ask the team to speed things up.

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Helen1964 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:49 pm
Has anyone been asked for additional documents AFTER their estimated issue date?
Ours has come and gone. We’re still stuck on Processing but have had no email to indicate there’s a problem. I did chat with a customer service agent yesterday and he said he would ask the team to speed things up.
Yup, just got a request for a certified copy of my driving license, the day after my due date. If they hadn't explicitly told me it wasn't required in the cover letter then I would have sent it off with the original application. 🤨

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:43 pm

Infuriating. Like many others, we submitted 1 government-issued photo ID because that's what we were asked for.
So no doubt a little email will be winging its way to us soon.

abhishek8720
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abhishek8720 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:50 pm

abhishek8720 wrote:
ETA 23/09

New ETA
10/10
Update :
27/09 : Processing application
Your application is being processed

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:12 pm

Out of curiosity, how often do you all check your status? I'm trying to limit myself to once every evening. Otherwise I'll go nuts.

pedo-cevorf-a-minno
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by pedo-cevorf-a-minno » Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:27 pm

abhishek8720 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:50 pm
27/09 : Processing application
Your application is being processed
Hmm thanks for the update. This is rather good to know (that it might turn into processing this early) as I've got a similar situation. 😅
Helen1964 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:12 pm
Out of curiosity, how often do you all check your status? I'm trying to limit myself to once every evening. Otherwise I'll go nuts.
I knew that I wouldn't be able to resist the desire to query more and more often so that one day I decided to write a few lines of quick code to hold a browser window on a side display that automatically redo the query every 15 minutes.
(This doesn't seem necessary though since the tracking system may update only a few times of a day at certain points as suggested by the "last updated" data point.)

Helen1964
United Kingdom

Post by Helen1964 » Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:47 pm

That makes me feel slightly less nuts. Thanks!