ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do EU Treaty Rights work?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, Administrator

LookingForInfoIE
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

How do EU Treaty Rights work?

Post by LookingForInfoIE » Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:39 am

Hi there,

I'm looking for information on how EU Treaty Rights work please.

I am an Irish national, interested in bringing my wife (non-eu, visa required) to Ireland as soon as possible.

Can I ask please what are the rules of the Treaty Rights?

If I move to let's say Netherlands and bring my wife with me, do I have to be employed by a Netherlands company or can I keep my job from Ireland and work remotely in Netherlands?

Also, can I ask who is capable of applying for EU treaty rights? If my wife has family in Netherlands (aunt and cousins) can they apply for her to come to Netherlands under Treaty Rights or is it only immediately family like husband/wife who can apply?

Appreciate any information 😊

meself2
Ireland

Re: How do EU Treaty Rights work?

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:19 pm

LookingForInfoIE wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:39 am
If my wife has family in Netherlands (aunt and cousins) can they apply for her to come to Netherlands under Treaty Rights or is it only immediately family like husband/wife who can apply?
Husband/wife, children, parents. See https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r ... dex_en.htm .
LookingForInfoIE wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:39 am
If I move to let's say Netherlands and bring my wife with me, do I have to be employed by a Netherlands company or can I keep my job from Ireland and work remotely in Netherlands
This I am not sure of; I would assume you would need under a local company's entity/be on their payroll, but don't know for certain.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: How do EU Treaty Rights work?

Post by littlerr » Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:38 pm

You do not need to be working for a Dutch company. It doesn't really matter. You pay tax based on your residency. The only difference is whether you are considered an employee or self-employed.

If you live in the Netherlands and work for an Irish company remotely (and this Irish company does not have any presence in the Netherlands for tax purposes), you are considered self-employed. Your tax bands and social benefits would be different from an employee living in the Netherlands and working for a Dutch company.

This does not affect your eligibility of applying for EUTR for your non-EU family members. Just select the correct category in the EUTR application. In fact you can even have no work whatsoever, as long as you can prove you have sufficient funds to cover both yourself and your non-EU family.