ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification on Referees for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix

soraya2000
Newly Registered
England

Clarification on Referees for Naturalisation

Post by soraya2000 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:07 pm

Hi,

I have two questions regarding the requirements for referees in the naturalisation process.

My first question is regarding the nationality of the first referee. The MN1 Guidance states:
“One referee can be of any nationality but must be a professional person... The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.”

However, the General guidance suggests:

"The referee must:
  • be a British passport holder and either a professional person or aged over 25 (at least one referee must be a professional person)."
This has left me confused—can the first referee (the professional person) be of a different nationality? And is it acceptable to provide their non-British passport number?

Secondly, I would appreciate some advice on the definition of a “professional person.” I have several friends who are listed as "Director" in their limited company in company house, but their companies are either inactive or newly registered, with no income or tax filings as of yet. Would they still be considered valid referees under these circumstances? Is there any risk of a caseworker challenging their eligibility as referees?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Clarification on Referees for Naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:09 pm

soraya2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:07 pm
Hi,

I have two questions regarding the requirements for referees in the naturalisation process.

My first question is regarding the nationality of the first referee. The MN1 Guidance states:
“One referee can be of any nationality but must be a professional person... The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.”

However, the General guidance suggests:

"The referee must:
  • be a British passport holder and either a professional person or aged over 25 (at least one referee must be a professional person)."
This has left me confused—can the first referee (the professional person) be of a different nationality? YesAnd is it acceptable to provide their non-British passport number?If the application asks for this then yes.

Secondly, I would appreciate some advice on the definition of a “professional person.” I have several friends who are listed as "Director" in their limited company in company house, but their companies are either inactive or newly registered, with no income or tax filings as of yet. Would they still be considered valid referees under these circumstances? They should be Director or Manager of a VAT registered company. They won't be examining the financial position of the company. Is there any risk of a caseworker challenging their eligibility as referees? If a referee is isn't acceptable to them they will ask for another more suitable referee.

You probably have seen this list of acceptable profession: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf Page 30, if you want to choose a different referee.

Thanks!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.