ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can one get the French nationality in 2 years?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zlurker2000
Newly Registered

How can one get the French nationality in 2 years?

Post by zlurker2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm

I have been working in France for 1 year now. I have a carte de sejour and am a national of a non-European country. I read that one can apply for the French citizenship after 2 years if they have a degree from a french university.

My question is two-fold:

1. What's the small print? Does the university degreehave to be a 2 or 3 year degree? Or can it be a 1 year degree like an MBA at INSEAD?

2. if I work in France for 2 years and then attend a French university during the 3rd year, would that rule still apply? ie would the rule be retroactive??

thank you!!!

gani999

Re: How can one get the French nationality in 2 years?

Post by gani999 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 pm

zlurker2000 wrote:I have been working in France for 1 year now. I have a carte de sejour and am a national of a non-European country. I read that one can apply for the French citizenship after 2 years if they have a degree from a french university.

My question is two-fold:

1. What's the small print? Does the university degreehave to be a 2 or 3 year degree? Or can it be a 1 year degree like an MBA at INSEAD?

2. if I work in France for 2 years and then attend a French university during the 3rd year, would that rule still apply? ie would the rule be retroactive??

thank you!!!
No you cannot apply for a French Nationality based on just a degree from a French University.

You need to have a resided in France for at least five years (legally). Any time you spend in a French University is also considered a period of residence.

isceon

Post by isceon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

not true!check this
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/html/code ... _textA.htm
le code civil article21-17 and 18 read:
Art. 21-17

(Act n° 93-933 of 22 July 1993)

Subject to the exceptions laid down in Articles 21-18, 21-19 and 21-20, naturalisation may be granted only to an alien who proves an usual residence in France for five years before the submission of the request.

Art. 21-18

(Act n° 73-42 of 9 Jan. 1973)

The probationary period referred to in Article 21-17 shall be reduced to two years:

1° As regards the alien who has successfully completed two years of university education in view of getting a diploma conferred by a French university or establishment of higher education;

please do not give wrong advise when you do not know.
la duree de stage is the residence requirement to apply for naturalisation.
but other conditions apply as well such as language requirement etc..and ties to the french culture ...
good luck

isceon

Post by isceon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

an other npoint.bear in mind that the decision for french naturalisation can take up to 03 years.
02 years +03 years =05 years in line with other EU countries :wink: :wink:

zlurker2000
Newly Registered

Post by zlurker2000 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:15 pm

isceon wrote:not true!check this
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/html/code ... _textA.htm
le code civil article21-17 and 18 read:
Art. 21-17

(Act n° 93-933 of 22 July 1993)

Subject to the exceptions laid down in Articles 21-18, 21-19 and 21-20, naturalisation may be granted only to an alien who proves an usual residence in France for five years before the submission of the request.

Art. 21-18

(Act n° 73-42 of 9 Jan. 1973)

The probationary period referred to in Article 21-17 shall be reduced to two years:

1° As regards the alien who has successfully completed two years of university education in view of getting a diploma conferred by a French university or establishment of higher education;

please do not give wrong advise when you do not know.
la duree de stage is the residence requirement to apply for naturalisation.
but other conditions apply as well such as language requirement etc..and ties to the french culture ...
good luck
thank you so much for the link and for highlighting Article 21-17. I read further up to Article 21-19 and point 5 caught my interest:
May be naturalised without the requirement of a probationary period:

5° A national or former national of territories and States on which France exercised sovereignty, or a protectorate, a mandate or a trusteeship;
As a citizen of Lebanon, which was under the French mandate during WWII, does that mean I could qualify for being naturalized WITHOUT the requirement of a probationary period?

isceon

Post by isceon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:07 pm

The answer would be yes if lebanon was a french colony and you have good aptitude of french language and resident in france at the time of the application.
French laws are always changing you should check with legal adviser in any case .
Here is a site forum for all your questions regarding french residence and nationality(it is a sollicitor running it.)
good luck
http://www.forumsansvisa.com/