ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acquiring Spanish citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jilly cooper

Acquiring Spanish citizenship

Post by jilly cooper » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Can someone clarify this for me, please. I have heard that nationals of former Spanish colonies need only 2 years "residence" in Spain to be eligible for citizenship. When they say "residence", does this mean 2 years of permanent residence or does it include any type of residence, be it work permit or student residence?

Any info will be highly appreciated especially if I can read the source of information. Thanks.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Re: Acquiring Spanish citizenship

Post by charles4u » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 am

Last edited by charles4u on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles4u

jilly cooper

Re: Acquiring Spanish citizenship

Post by jilly cooper » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:32 am

Thanks for the info. Is there any chance where you can direct me to a credible/official website where I can read things, even if it is written in Spanish?

I have read that this is also a possibility but I am not really that sure, thus, I want to be 100% confident. Any website you can recommend or at least re-direct me?

Thanks in advance.

charles4u wrote:
jilly cooper wrote:Can someone clarify this for me, please. I have heard that nationals of former Spanish colonies need only 2 years "residence" in Spain to be eligible for citizenship. When they say "residence", does this mean 2 years of permanent residence or does it include any type of residence, be it work permit or student residence?

Any info will be highly appreciated especially if I can read the source of information. Thanks.
From what I know, any lawful residence are all classify as residence..be it student or worker. So far you have a prove to show you have being a lawful residence for the years mentioned.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Last edited by charles4u on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles4u

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi. This is going to sound ungrateful but I already have that website. But, nonethless, my deepest gratitude. Is there anything else that you know, like an official website from Spanish authority?

I have some website from Spanish authority but there is nothing concrete about student visa. Do you think that the rule is a general one rather than a very specific one?

Thanks as ever!
charles4u wrote:Check this site for some infos.

http://www.euskosare.org/euskal_herria/ ... ationality

Legal residence is under any type of stay..student or worker. But the years you can apply for citizenship now depends on nationality, if married to a spanish and so on.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Last edited by charles4u on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles4u

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Thank you for your reply. I do not like the tone of your message as it sounded like you know everything. Further to my research, I can confirm that you are wrong. Your answer was right 8 years ago but it has been changed since then.

If you do not know the answer, just be quiet. If you want to share your thoughts, share it sensibly. If you have nothing to say good, shut up.

Your sheer arrogance in asnwering my query is nothing but a mere reflection of your own sh*t in life. I did not ask for your opinion. You choose to answer, do not give me this attitude of me knowing all because clearly, you are not.

You are an arrogantly ignorant b*st*rd that needs extermination. Your kind should not be allowed to proliferate in this messaging board.

Have I forgot to mention that your English proficiency is extremely poor? The grammar is terribly wrong. The spelling is outrageous. Yes, there is no sense of coherence either. Your thoughts are as disgruntle as your grammar.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:26 pm

OK...jilly cooper.
Charles4u

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 am

jilly cooper wrote:Thank you for your reply. I do not like the tone of your message as it sounded like you know everything. Further to my research, I can confirm that you are wrong. Your answer was right 8 years ago but it has been changed since then.

If you do not know the answer, just be quiet. If you want to share your thoughts, share it sensibly. If you have nothing to say good, shut up.

Your sheer arrogance in asnwering my query is nothing but a mere reflection of your own sh*t in life. I did not ask for your opinion. You choose to answer, do not give me this attitude of me knowing all because clearly, you are not.

You are an arrogantly ignorant b*st*rd that needs extermination. Your kind should not be allowed to proliferate in this messaging board.

Have I forgot to mention that your English proficiency is extremely poor? The grammar is terribly wrong. The spelling is outrageous. Yes, there is no sense of coherence either. Your thoughts are as disgruntle as your grammar.
Is there any reason to be so outwardly hostile? I read his last response (before he deleted it)...maybe he changed it afterwards, but someone stating they are "100% sure" of the rules does not seem to me to warrant such a response from you.

Debasing someone due to their lack of English skills is also rather low; not everybody on the board is a native English speaker and such ridicule is unnecessary.

If you are keen to become a Spanish citizen, I suggest you seek advise from a Spanish immigration solicitor.

andie
Newly Registered

Post by andie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Hiya,

Yeah, what you are saying is right but it depends from which latin american country you come from. Certain countries need 2 years, 1, 4, 5. I am peruvian and that's why I know.

Nop, being a student does not count towards the years you need to claim the spanish nationality..you need to hold a residence permit for work not studies.

Now, I am kind of in the same boat as I wanna go to Spain (currently working in UK). Apparently if you are from Chile or Peru is much easier to get a residence permit as your sponsor doesn't need to show that other spaniard or european cannot do what you offer to do, you just apply and get it (well, that's what they say in the Consulate of Spain).

I am trying to research if there is a points based system in Spain (like in UK) that allows you to work for anyone as long as you proof you are skilled and hold a dregree, etc...but haven't been lucky so far.

If you have any info please send me a message and I will do the same for you...I have shared all I know of the subject.

Bests!