ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa for the spouse of British passport holder.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

orotnas
Newly Registered

Schengen visa for the spouse of British passport holder.

Post by orotnas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:51 am

I am a British passport holder. But my wife don't want to apply for her British passport, she prefers to be permanent resident. We are planning to visit Paris in May 2009. I assume being the British passport holder I don't need any visa to visit these schengen countries.

My wife has to apply schengen visa. Being the spouse of British citizen, what are the documents she needs to provide? Also, is she needed to pay the visa fee? Or is there any exemption? Can she get the visa valied upto an year? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen visa for the spouse of British passport holder.

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 pm

orotnas wrote:I am a British passport holder. But my wife don't want to apply for her British passport, she prefers to be permanent resident. We are planning to visit Paris in May 2009. I assume being the British passport holder I don't need any visa to visit these schengen countries.

My wife has to apply schengen visa. Being the spouse of British citizen, what are the documents she needs to provide? Also, is she needed to pay the visa fee? Or is there any exemption? Can she get the visa valied upto an year? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
All the info you need is on the French Embassy website. See this: http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/What-is-a- ... -visa.html as well as the FAQs etc...

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I have already gone through that page...

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm

and????????

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:09 pm

The French are not telling him what he wants to read perhaps...

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 am

I have already gone through the page, but I did not get the answer. So, I have posted this question. If you really know the answer please post it otherwise let the other people answer my question.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 am

Oh, by the way you are most welcome! Do enjoy the wait.

isceon

Post by isceon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:34 am

Visa » Spouse and children of an European Union citizen (excepting french (...)
Spouse and children of an European Union citizen (excepting french citizen)

To apply:

You may either book an appointment : Or you may be eligible to apply via the postal department

The European citizen may be requested to attend the Visa Section with the visa national.

Be advised that if you are unable to provide the requested documents to obtain a visa as the spouse of an EU citizen, you will need to lodge an application for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and produce all requested supporting documents.

Documents requested + photocopies
:

The French Consulate insists on photocopies of the documents to be included with the application.

>>> As the Spouse of an European Union Citizen:

1. A national passport or official travel document valid for more than 3 months beyond the validity of the requested visa, with a blank visa page to affix the visa sticker. Your British residency must be stamped onto your passport.
2. One application form duly completed and signed by the applicant (or the legal guardian for applicants under the age of 18).
3. 2 photographs. Please read photo guidance document
4. Nationals who must expect a delay for the processing of their applications delay?
Either a self-addressed pre-paid special delivery envelope for the return of your passport - highly recommended as it is quicker,
or a 1st class stamped self-addressed enveloppe to be informed of your second appointment.
5. Your spouse’s European Union passport.
6. Your original Marriage Certificate with official translation if not in French or English. This official translation must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy/ Consulate of the country where your marriage was celebrated or by the legalisation bureau of the Foreign Office in GB.
7. If your Marriage Certificate has been issued outside the European Union, it must be stamped by the Foreign Office of the issuing country, or its Embassy in the UK.

Not much really.If you check yhe visa application form you will see that as spouse of an EU citizen your wife will get the visa easier than others non EEA resident in the uk .
Good luck

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 am

orotnas, two questions :-
  1. What is your wife's nationality?
  2. In what city, town or county do you and your wife live?
John

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 am

orotnas, two questions :-

1) What is your wife's nationality?
2) In what city, town or county do you and your wife live?
1) My wife's nationality is Indian. She is a permanent resident (Indefinite Leave to Remain). She is living in UK since last 4 years.
2) We are living in London.

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 am

Thank you very much isceon

That really helped. I have gone through the online appontment system. Luckily I have found few appontments are still available.
https://www.consulfrance-londres.org/se ... vices3.php

There are 3 options:
1) Spouse and children of an French citizen
2) Spouse and children of an European Union citizen
3) All Others

I was wondering weather I can apply through the option as a "Spouse and children of an European Union citizen". Because I am a british citizen, do I come under the "European Union Citizen". So, shall I go through the Option 2 or Option 3?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:06 am

It is clearly 2 that applies. Like it or not you are a EU Citizen ... and will have a vote in the European Parliamentary elections in June.

Given that your wife is Indian she definitely needs to get a Schengen visa before entering any Schengen area country, and as you live in London, the application must be made in person at the French Consulate in London.
John

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:22 am

That is great John. Your reply is much appreciated.

So, I will book an appointment under the "Spouse and children of an European Union citizen option".

Also, can you please clarify me, along with all the above stated "Documents requested + Photo copies", Still do we need to provide the other documents like...
1) Bank statements
2) Salary Slips
3) Flights tickets
4) Hotel accommodation
5) Letter from the employer

Thanks,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:03 am

The French Consulate is compliant with the EU regulations! That is, on the application form, notice all those starred questions? They can be left blank, and information relevant to them does not need to be provided.

The important thing is to prove that the applicant, your wife, is indeed married to an EU Citizen ... you! So your British passport, and the marriage certificate, are highly important. Where did the two of you get married? In the UK? You have a British-style marriage certificate? Or did the two of you marry outside the UK, and you do not have a British-style marriage certificate?
John

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 pm

John, I have gone through the application form. You are right. I have gone through the starred questions. Now it is clarified that no need to have the details of the Bank statements, Salary slips, Flights tickets, Hotel accommodation and Letter from the employer etc.

We are married in India (Mumbai) 4 years ago and we have got our marriage certificate which was in English. At the time of the marriage both of us were Indians. I will also carry few wedding snaps as well.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

The only problem you might encounter is whether they will accept the Indian marriage certificate. It is possible they might want that authenticated by the Indian High Commission in the UK.
John

orotnas
Newly Registered

Post by orotnas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 pm

They accepted our marriage certificate last time during the schengen visa. This is the first time after my British citizenship. Let’s keep fingers crossed.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 am

orotnas wrote:They accepted our marriage certificate last time during the schengen visa. This is the first time after my British citizenship. Let’s keep fingers crossed.
and toes as well :)

johney
Newly Registered

Post by johney » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 am

orotnas wrote:They accepted our marriage certificate last time during the schengen visa. This is the first time after my British citizenship. Let’s keep fingers crossed.
Do they accept your marriage certificate in English without any attestation from the Indian embassy?

rak3sh
Newly Registered

Post by rak3sh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Wondering what happened with your visa application, orotnas.
Found this information on the required marriage certificates on www.visas4indians.com:
"Original Marriage Certificate with official translation if not in French or English. This official translation must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy/ Consulate of the country where the marriage was celebrated or by the legalisation bureau of the Foreign Office in GB. If the Marriage Certificate has been issued outside the European Union, it must be stamped by the Foreign Office of the issuing country, or its Embassy in the UK."

India usually issues bilingual marriage certificates. So it should be in English and Hindi or probably in your case, marathi. They should be enough to satisfy them.