ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa - do I also need to write Life in the UK test

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BarbsintheUK
Newly Registered

Dependent visa - do I also need to write Life in the UK test

Post by BarbsintheUK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:13 pm

My husband is the visa holder (ancestory) and I and the kids are on Dependant visa's. We are now going to apply for ILR and need to write the test "Life in the UK".
Does only my husband need to write & pass the test and we all just get the dependant status of ILR in our passports?
Is there an age attached to the test criteria?
Does the spouse if on dependant visa also need to write?
I would really appreciate advice on this please.
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom wrote:Unless you are exempt, if you apply for permanent residence and cannot meet this requirement, your application will be refused and considered as an application to extend your temporary permission to stay in the United Kingdom....

Exemption because of your age

If you are aged under 18 or over 65, you do not need to meet the language and knowledge of life in the United Kingdom requirements. You should send your passport or birth certificate as evidence of your age with your application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

BarbsintheUK
Newly Registered

Post by BarbsintheUK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply Vinny. I will have to continue with my own revision (I have read a bit more than hubby in any event).

On the topic of the tests Vinny, there are numerous threads/posts recommending this and that website for practise tests.
According to the Life in the UK helpline, there is only ONE official website (lifeintheuktest.gov.uk) and they only show you a sample of questions one could be presented with. The gentleman I spoke with (a very helpful & friendly guy I might add) suggested that the websites were not official and often charged over the odds and some were even 'scams' (ie not the real deal with the tests/questions that they proposed).
Do you know if its worth in fact joining any of these websites for the revision questions? If so, which one would you suggest?
I saw some person on another thread using the thread to "advertise" and even changed their name (and was warned by the moderator to stop doing so). This worries me of course, as to which link is safe to actually use, as it could be phishing or just plain scam.

Thanks Vinny and I look forward to your or maybe even someone else's reply on this question.

KR
B

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:37 am

The problem with the test sites is that they are not always accurate. You will often need to cross check with the official HO study book to check that the answers given are correct. Also be aware that the HO wording of the questions in the actual test is completely different from the unofficial test sites. Would be helpful of course if the HO published their own! :roll: