ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Spain from UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1Minnow
Newly Registered

Moving to Spain from UK

Post by 1Minnow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am

My wife is Spanish, and I am Canadian. We were married in Spain two years ago. We met in the UK five years ago, have been living in the UK since the wedding. Since we were married, I obtained an EEA2, and my wife her EEA1.

We are moving to Spain in the near future, and I would like to keep working for my current UK employer, as I work from home the majority of the time as it is.

I have two questions, first, the the EEA2 valid throughout europe, or only in the UK? If it's not, does it help me to get the equivalent documents in Spain?

Second, is it legal for me to do this? Can I live in Spain and collect an income from the UK? Aside from tax, does anyone have any advice specific to my situation?

Thanks in advance!

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Moving to Spain from UK

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 am

1Minnow wrote:My wife is Spanish, and I am Canadian. We were married in Spain two years ago. We met in the UK five years ago, have been living in the UK since the wedding. Since we were married, I obtained an EEA2, and my wife her EEA1.

We are moving to Spain in the near future, and I would like to keep working for my current UK employer, as I work from home the majority of the time as it is.

I have two questions, first, the the EEA2 valid throughout europe, or only in the UK? If it's not, does it help me to get the equivalent documents in Spain?

Second, is it legal for me to do this? Can I live in Spain and collect an income from the UK? Aside from tax, does anyone have any advice specific to my situation?

Thanks in advance!
The residence permit is only valid in the UK, not across the EEA. Your residency in the UK is dependent on your wife excercising her treaty rights in the UK. I am not fully versed with the EU directive, but I believe that, as your wife would cease to be excercising treating rights in the UK once she leaves, you would also not have any right to live/work there.

If you want to continue working in the UK, you would need a UK-based work permit.

If you move to Spain, you can either apply for a spouse visa for spouses of Spanish citizens, or the Spanish equivalent of the EEA residence permit, whichever you think best for you (neither would allow you to work/live in another EU country, still).

Does your wife plan to work/study in Spain, and not travel to the UK regularly? When did you obtain your residence card?

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:39 am

1Minnow wrote:My wife is Spanish, and I am Canadian. We were married in Spain two years ago. We met in the UK five years ago, have been living in the UK since the wedding. Since we were married, I obtained an EEA2, and my wife her EEA1.

Thanks in advance!
You might want to look into getting a EU Blue Card, it might come in handy for your case

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 am

First-Class Moron wrote:

Thanks in advance!
You might want to look into getting a EU Blue Card, it might come in handy for your case
The only problems are that the UK has opted-out of the scheme (for now, at least), and the scheme has not yet been endorsed, I believe.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:10 pm

sakura wrote:
First-Class Moron wrote:You might want to look into getting a EU Blue Card, it might come in handy for your case
The only problems are that the UK has opted-out of the scheme (for now, at least), and the scheme has not yet been endorsed, I believe.
Yes, it may take a few years before it has been implemented and probably longer before it really works. My understanding, however, is that the Blue Card entitles you to work initially only in one country (18 months?) and only later you can move on to another one. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more strings attached. The idea of the Blue Card has been watered down by those countries who worry about the control over their job market.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 am

Have you thought about putting off your plans to move for a while, so you at least can get your British citizenship?

(your wife might lose her Spanish citizenship, she'd need to check with the Spanish authorities).